Keeping dogs warm in the backcountry

Nick

-
Wondering if anyone has some suggestions/ideas on how to keep a dog warm when backpacking. I've tried everything from cutting up a fleece blanket (too heavy, not very effective) to packing a proper dog coat (way too heavy, only covers their back). On this last trip I threw in Audra's expensive new thermolite sleping bag liner and just draped it over Teak and it worked quite well aside from it not being the right shape. So I was thinking about just going and buying some bulk fabric or something and making a dog blanket from it. Something thin and light like the liner but warm would be awesome. Any suggestions on that front? Silk is supposed to be warm isn't it?

I do also carry part of a thermarest z-lite for them to lay on so that covers the cold from the ground and gives me a nice place to sit the rest of the time.

Well, for car camping our two doggies have their own old thermarests and when below 40 their own old sleeping bags used as blankets.
For backpacking I have always just had them sleep in the tent with me which adds a lot insulation-wise since they aren't exposed to the radiation to deep space. When the temps are below freezing I will sometimes put spare clothes down for them to lay on and even lay my down sweater over the top of them. It doesn't stay but when I wake up I reposition it. They both snuggle with me and each other and the are both long hairs (border collies) so they stay pretty warm in their sleeping "curl" with their tale over their nose.

Recently my buddy slept out on a tarp with his short hair dog with us on a trip to the Ruby's. He bought a dog sweater made by Ruff or someone and the temps went down to the thirties. He and the dog were up all night cold - he had to open his bag and try and get the dog to sleep part way inside with him.

You could try and make a down blanket that would be light and pack down nicely. I seem to remeber somebody here making a down blanket.

I just bought a women's X-Large down vest from Costco and tried it on Teak. It was almost a perfect fit except her huge doberman chest as just a bit too large. I think something like that might be the ticket though, perhaps fleece would be better though.

Nick, Im thinking of getting a used Wiggys bag since they do ok when wet. Cut it up to the size and shape I need, then sew a bivy bag for it with a highly breathable and decent water resistant fabric. Then attach Velcro on the bottom and sides for a ground cover or underquilt. Also, sew in some webbing so I can attack it under my hammock.

Downside will be the bulk as wiggy bags don't compress well but its a start. Might even do it with Climashield Apex but I don't know how well it will do when wet. Need to research it. I don't think down would work, for one it needs to be washable and hold most of its heat when wet. My dog will pack it or ill add some of my gear in his pack and attach it to mine.

Down would be perfect if the dog was always dry. I'm going for synthetic's like Clima shield or the version wiggys uses which I think is some kind of thermalight. That way I can toss it I the wash often and also retain heat if it's wet. If not probably some wool.

Last edited:
my friend's doberman wears a fleece hoody, with a pocket...you know, for treats and stuff. stays warm into the 30's. so stylish.

IMG_0127.jpg

My Puppy is growing so fast I just made this really quick as a prototype. Its wool insulation with camo ripstop nylon. Adjustable on the neck and chest with Velcro so he can use it for a few more months. He really likes it, its very warm and fits great. Next jacket Ill take my time and make it nice. Took me about an hour to design it and get it sewn, super easy to do. Now, the doggie goggles he isn't a big fan of.

20150105_155636-1.jpg