Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure!

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher

It was time. Jay and I were headed to Lake Powell for another beUTAHful adventure!

This trip was a bit more special than most. Jay was diagnosed with cancer last year. and despite the successful treatments and such, it had just been to long since we had seen each other. In only a short few months, Jay had changed jobs, relocated his family, and participated in cancer treatments! Between what Jay had gone through, and me changing jobs myself, we had a lot of life to catch up on.

Lake Powell seemed like the perfect place to make that happen.

I hopped in my car Thursday after work, and took off to pick up Jay in St. George. From there we make the the 2.5 hr drive to Page Arizona. We arrived at dark, but still managed to find a place to sleep in the Wahweap campground.

The rest of the trip was a blur! We picked up our Kayaks in Page and were on the water by 9am. A storm was moving in and the wind was gusting around 25 MPH. It was a bit crazy crossing the lake near Lone Rock, but we managed to make it without capsizing. Once we crossed the main channel and entered into Lone Rock canyon, things got much better. The wind was still blowing pretty good, but it wasn't as direct.

After a day of paddling and fishing in Lone Rock canyon, we landed a pretty sweet campsite! we were the only ones in the area. It was a treat to find solitude in one of Lake Powell's most popular Side Canyons.

When I think about my time spent on Lake Powell, I am filled with so many emotions. My kayaking trips on this special lake ignite strong feelings of adventure, challenge, serenity, and exhilaration! There are moments when I am concerned and fighting to stay upright in a kayak. A few moments later I am chilling and relaxing and overcome with feelings of beauty and gratitude. Soon after I am taken with the rush of catching a fish, and then it is back to being overwhelmed with the grandeur and allure of my surroundings.

What. An. Incredible. Place.

These trips are more than just opportunities for adventure. This is cherished time where two best friends can get together and spend time reminiscing about life. God is a huge part of our life, and it is out here where we find much opportunity to express our feelings about Him and how our lives are so good because of His ways

My true feelings are expressed very well by A favorite Book of Mormon prophet:

Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God... Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God... yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God

Enjoy the pictures :)

Love these pictures. It all looks so whiteish-grey compared to the normal red rock photos of Lake Powell. But beautiful in a different way. I'm guessing this area in these photos was all under water until lake levels dropped and so it's all been bleached?

Good stuff Blake!

My Lake Powell experience is, unfortunately, quite limited.

I love the way you were able to contrast the bright colored water
versus the flat tones of the rock. Beautiful!

Love these pictures. It all looks so whiteish-grey compared to the normal red rock photos of Lake Powell. But beautiful in a different way. I'm guessing this area in these photos was all under water until lake levels dropped and so it's all been bleached?
I'm thinking that is what happened too. Lake Powell has a bathtub ring everywhere. kinda cool! I know that some ppl hate it, but i don't mind.

Good stuff Blake!

My Lake Powell experience is, unfortunately, quite limited.

I love the way you were able to contrast the bright colored water
versus the flat tones of the rock. Beautiful!

I don't have a ton of experience on the lake either. But I know I want more :)

Awesome! Kayaking out there is fantastic. Kinda scary at times, but still awesome. Good timing on beating the crowds too.

I'm thinking that is what happened too. Lake Powell has a bathtub ring everywhere. kinda cool! I know that some ppl hate it, but i don't mind.

The bathtub ring is certainly more white from mineral deposits, but the sandstone in Wahweap Creek and Warm Creek are closer to white without help from the reservoir. I assume it's a different type of sandstone, or perhaps less iron in it or something, but it's like that well above high water mark too.

http://backcountrypost.com/threads/ringing-in-2016-at-alstrom-point.5417/
alstrom-point-850-28-jpg.38954