Kayaking at Laurel River Lake (KY)

wsp_scott

How about another east coast trip report? I'm posting this in the backpacking forum since this felt like a backpacking trip even though there was some paddling involved. The only thing different from a "normal" backpacking trip was the cooler full of beer :)

I dropped the kids off at school and headed south a couple of hours to Laurel River Lake. I had been eyeing kayaks for a couple years and in the fall pulled the trigger on an inflatable kayak. This was the first overnight kayaking trip. The weather forecast looked like it should be a good weekend (sun during the day, temps from 30-60), but a little windy and some rain overnight. One lesson learned on this trip, wind really matters when you are paddling. I never really paid too much attention to the wind par of the forecast from a backpacking point of view.

Beautiful day, but launching into the wind had waves breaking over the bow of the kayak. Once I got out of the wind, I was able to enjoy the day.

2017-02-24%2B12.42.08.jpg

Here is me enjoying the day even more
2017-02-24%2B14.20.44.jpg

I found a good campsite with potential sunset views
2017-02-24%2B16.55.28.jpg

laurel_river_paddle139.JPG

And then the stars came out
laurel_river_paddle200b.JPG

The next morning it was very windy
2017-02-25%2B10.28.07.jpg

After a really hard 2 miles and 2 hours of paddling, I ended up putting in at the boat in campground and doing some hiking
laurel_river_paddle295.JPG

and then setup camp and waited for the sunset and stars
2017-02-25%2B17.46.52.jpg

The sunset was not that impressive, but the stars were really nice
laurel_river_paddle326b.JPG

Woke up the next morning to sunny and no wind, an easy paddle back to the boatramp.
2017-02-26%2B08.37.20.jpg

A great couple of days, more pics and a lot more detail here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com...iver-lake.html

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
Georgia Yankee Isle Royale Kayaking August/Sept. 2023 On The Water 8
wsp_scott Kayaking the Stockholm Archipelago (Sweden) On The Water 12
blueeyes Adventures in Kayaking 2018 On The Water 7
Devin Ashby Kayaking Leigh Lake | Grand Teton National Park On The Water 3
DrNed Kayaking Lake Powell Trip Planning 3
Blake Merrell Kayaking Lone Rock Canyon: Another beUTAHful adventure! On The Water 8
Blake Merrell Sea Kayaking in British Columbia On The Water 6
Blake Merrell BSA High Adventure 2015 - Day 2 - Kayaking the Green River On The Water 10
steve drainage ditch kayaking General Discussion 3
Nick So you want to start kayaking, eh? General Discussion 15
BJett Kayaking the Tellico River On The Water 2
Nick Kayaking Lake Powell - Moqui Canyon On The Water 19
Nick Kayaking the Uintas On The Water 10
Dave Kayaking the Great Salt Lake, June 1 2013 On The Water 10
Dave Kayaking Labyrinth Canyon, April 25-28 2013 On The Water 15
BJett Kayaking the Chute of Muddy Creek On The Water 8
E Kayaking and Hiking in the Rainbow Area, Lake Powell. 4/7-4/13/13. On The Water 2
E 6-7 Days DIY Kayaking and Hiking on Lake Powell? Trip Planning 2
Nurrgle Kayaking the Green General Discussion 12
McKee80 Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail Nov 1, 2018 Backpacking 3
BJett Laurel-Snow State Natural Area - Tennessee Backpacking 1
12trysomething VIDEO: A Trip Of Firsts - Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail Backpacking 1
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 4
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
kwc Savage River, Denali NP Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
kwc Cedar River Flow, Central Adirondacks On The Water 1
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5