Kane to Bullet in 4 days?

RyanP

Formerly bob32
I'm doing some last-minute planning for a Grand Gulch trip (Kane to Bullet) that will take place a few days from now, and I am trying to figure out the best places to camp. Most accounts that I have read seem to split the trip into three days (two nights), spending one night near the Todie junction (near the spring there) and one night near the Bullet junction (near one of the springs there). However, we would like to spend three nights for this trip if possible, with a short first day. How would you recommend splitting up the days? I was thinking on Day 1 we could hike in four miles from the Kane Gulch ranger station and camp the first night near the "Junction Spring"/"Junction Ruin", and on the last night we will camp near the Jailhouse Spring in Bullet Canyon. If we did that, we would prefer to camp somewhere on Night 2 that is roughly in-between those two campsites, yet not too far from a water source. Should I expect to find good campsite availability in that stretch? If that stretch of canyon between Todie and Shieks isn't very good for camping, then we may do a 3-day trip instead.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! Also, if anyone has recent water/springs beta or tips on must-see sites along this route, that would be appreciated as well.

John Morrow

Do it in four. More time for explorations. Can't really remember much regarding camping wise between Sheiks and Todie but I suppose there are many camps to choose. Todie Junction has a big sand bar area, and several nice camps, upcanyon, within 1/2 mile of the junction with GG. There are camps near Green mask.

Mikjik86

If I remember correctly, there is a nice camp spot where Bullet meets The Grand Gulch. In some trees, by the creek bed.

2 years ago we did Bullet to Kane Gulch in 2 nights. We started at Bullet and camped prior to Jailhouse Ruin. Our second night we made it to Junction Spring. It was a big second day. Good luck on the trip!

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Also, if anyone has recent water/springs beta or tips on must-see sites along this route, that would be appreciated as well.

I was just in this part of Grand Gulch on Saturday (came down Sheiks) and there is water running right now. Green Mask spring was good like usual. Plenty of water in potholes and side canyons.

RyanP

Formerly bob32
Awesome, thanks everyone! We want to limit Day 1 since we'll be starting on the late side and two of us (me and the other dad) will have very heavy packs, so I don't think we'll push all the way to Todie on Day 1 (although otherwise I definitely would). Hiking to Todie on Day 2 is probably too short for that day, though, so we'll most likely fill up our water there and do a few more miles that day. If we're feeling good, maybe we'll make it all the way to Green Mask (although that would be a long and rushed day with the two 11-year-olds).

Randy---thanks for the water info. Were bugs an issue for you guys?

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Awesome, thanks everyone! We want to limit Day 1 since we'll be starting on the late side and two of us (me and the other dad) will have very heavy packs, so I don't think we'll push all the way to Todie on Day 1 (although otherwise I definitely would). Hiking to Todie on Day 2 is probably too short for that day, though, so we'll most likely fill up our water there and do a few more miles that day. If we're feeling good, maybe we'll make it all the way to Green Mask (although that would be a long and rushed day with the two 11-year-olds).

Randy---thanks for the water info. Were bugs an issue for you guys?

Up on top of the mesa in the evenings the cedar gnats (no-see-ums) were out this past weekend and very annoying. We didn't notice them in the canyons during the day, but it was also a bit windy out.

RyanP

Formerly bob32
Thanks Randy; sounds like I'll take repellent and bug netting (tent, headnet). You said there was plenty of water around... is the water generally clear enough that a Sawyer Squeeze filter is sufficient? I've done a number of desert trips now, but somehow I have never needed to filter silty/murky water like the kind I always hear about, and I'm always worried that my filter will get clogged when I'm deep in the wilderness. If it's pretty clear in general, then I won't worry about it. Also, does it taste funny? I've never brought any drink mix to help with the taste, but it seems like I read somewhere that the water in Grand Gulch can taste kind of funny sometimes.

Also, I'll be driving my Subaru Outback. If we get there too late the first day to start hiking the first day (thus turning this into a 3-day trip), we might try to drive over to the Citadel and do that as a day-hike our first evening instead. Will my Outback likely be good enough for that drive?

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
The water from the springs is good and the water flowing in the wash looked pretty clear to, so I wouldn't worry about clogging up your filter. I've never had any water in Grand Gulch that tasted funny after being filtered, and I've been there during some pretty dry times when water was scarce.

Haven't been on the road to the Citadel in a while, but I know I've seen Subarus at the trailhead before.

Thanks Randy; sounds like I'll take repellent and bug netting (tent, headnet). You said there was plenty of water around... is the water generally clear enough that a Sawyer Squeeze filter is sufficient? I've done a number of desert trips now, but somehow I have never needed to filter silty/murky water like the kind I always hear about, and I'm always worried that my filter will get clogged when I'm deep in the wilderness. If it's pretty clear in general, then I won't worry about it. Also, does it taste funny? I've never brought any drink mix to help with the taste, but it seems like I read somewhere that the water in Grand Gulch can taste kind of funny sometimes.

Also, I'll be driving my Subaru Outback. If we get there too late the first day to start hiking the first day (thus turning this into a 3-day trip), we might try to drive over to the Citadel and do that as a day-hike our first evening instead. Will my Outback likely be good enough for that drive?