Kalalau Trail - Kauai - August 2017

Burrito

Hope and I have hiked the first 2 miles in on this trail a few times and really enjoyed it. This year we decided to get a permit prior to our Kauai trip and do the full 11 on the Napali coast. The original plan was to spend 4 nights and 5 days, but the day we had planned to set out, it rained so hard they actually had to close the Hanelei bridge due to flooding so it was a no-go...I'm glad I'm actually getting wiser as I get older and making better decisions.

The beauty of that place is everything you could imagine and more. I won't bore you with the logistics of the trail because I'm sure that's been covered on here before. We had a VRBO set for the rest of our stay on Kauai after coming off the trail and the dude whose house it is was nice enough to let us park our car there with our extra luggage in the back. Big score. No need to stress about our car getting broken into at the trail head. The house is about 4 miles from the trail head so we hitched three rides to get there (it's stupid easy to thumb a ride on Kauai...I love it!)

The first two miles was more crowded than I've ever seen it so I was glad to get past that point where the permit is required for a little more isolation. Stunning views the entire 11 miles in. Incredible vistas. We had the waterfall at Hanakoa entirely to ourselves so spent quite a while there swimming and just soaking it all in.

Crawler's ledge was a bit spooky, but I'm not a huge fan of massive exposure so for you more intrepid explorers, it probably wouldn't have phased you.

We hit the beach on our 20th anniversary and had the most incredible spot available to us to set up a tent that I've ever seen....happy anniversary to us :)

Stayed two nights on the beach with a day hike up into the Kalalau valley on our layover day. Completely impossible to describe this place and as with most things, pictures / videos will never do it justice. If you've been thinking about doing this trek, do yourself a favor and force the issue and just make it happen.

We met some really cool folks at the beach, some permanent residents, others just visiting like us, all spectacular people.

After the trek, it only took one hitchhiking leg to get back to the house because the ladies who picked us up were kind enough to take us all the way there.

Can't wait to go back.

Here's one picture from the beach and I've also linked a youtube video with more pics and videos.

YouTube Video:

20170823_185502.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Hard work on the trail--literally Hiking & Camping 3
b.stark Brent's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Trans Canada trail Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Outdoors24 A weekend on the Pony Express Trail Off Road 2
wsp_scott Lakeshore Trail and two creeks in the Smokies Backpacking 6
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
TractorDoc CVNP Towpath Trail 07/16/2023 Hiking & Camping 4
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
Bob New USA long trail Trip Planning 2
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
L Boulder Mail Trail April 2023 Qs Trip Planning 14
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Trail Crew Story General Discussion 0
marquiri Off Trail Advice Trip Planning 17
balzaccom More trail work! Backpacking 0
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 10/10 Backpacking 59
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 9/10 Backpacking 16
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 8/10 Backpacking 42
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 7/10 Backpacking 10
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 6/10 Backpacking 10
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 5/10 Backpacking 20
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 4/10 Backpacking 13
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 3/10 Backpacking 7
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 2/10 Backpacking 35
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 1/10 Backpacking 23
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
balzaccom Desolation Trail Work Backpacking 7
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
4 Centennial Trail SD information Trip Planning 1
The Trout Whisperer I took on Hotter than H£#§ !!! Hotwater Trail in Texas… Hiking & Camping 19
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
balzaccom Help on the trail--literally General Discussion 7
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
priz1234 John Muir Trail 2021 Backpacking 8
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36