Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area

BJett

“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.”
John Muir

The Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness in North Carolina might be the best backcountry escape in the southeast. The views from up high on the Hangover rival anything in the Smokies, and Slickrock Creek's waterfalls are stunning. Not to mention the 400 year old virgin forest in the southern end of the Wilderness. Combined with the adjacent Citico Creek Wilderness in Tennessee, its one of the largest contiguous roadless areas in the southeast. There is a very healthy population of bears and wild boars, but we didn't see either on this trip.
http://www.sherpaguides.com/north_c...ntains/joyce_kilmer_slickrock_wilderness.html

I was here a few years before on a 3 day solo trip and fell in love. That trip included a high camp at 5200' near the Hangover...this one was focused more on the creek and waterfalls. This time 2 good friends joined me who had never been to this area. We base camped for 2 nights below Wildcat Falls, hiked to Lower Falls and soaked in the tranquility and serenity deep within a healthy, vibrant southern Appalachian forest.
This was also my dog Luna's first backpack trip. Turns out she is a great trail dog who has overcome her fear of water and gained a lot of confidence, maybe too much...gotta work on her recall before we go on more trips. She loves to run!

Fodderstack Ridge "'trail"
IMG_1417.jpg

Luna in her element
IMG_1427.jpg

filtering water at our dinner spot above Wildcat Falls
IMG_1473.jpg

Chanterelles
IMG_1573.jpg

Slickrock Creek
IMG_1613.jpg

Lower Falls
IMG_1659.jpg

Girls Gone Wild at Lower Falls
IMG_1709.jpg

Wildcat Falls
IMG_1776.jpg

Wildcat Falls
IMG_1782.jpg

Wildcat Falls
IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

Slickrock Creek
IMG_1866.jpg

Almost every trail sign has been abused by bears...
IMG_1875.jpg

Almost-blooming rhododendron
IMG_1423.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I once had a snake charge me at Wildcat Falls...I think I screamed like a baby and ran. Thanks for sharing!

Those pics are exactly the image I think of when I dream of the east. I've never been. And now I begin to cry. Thanks for sharing.

I cried about missing the east while in Utah, now I've been crying about missing the west ever since I moved back east 6 weeks ago. I think you can't win when you have wanderlust.

Ha. I agree Aldaron.

Wonderful shots, thanks for sharing an area I'm completely unfamiliar with. Amazing to know what's out there!