Joshua Tree One Nighter Backpacking?

Mike Jones

Hello all! Been awhile since I have been out on the trail and I am getting edgy. This time around I am looking for a good one night backpacking trip in Joshua Tree. Going to bring the GF on her first trip backpacking trip.

Looking for something that will be pretty and have great sights. I heard on reddit that in Joshua tree you can pretty much camp anywhere, not sure if this is true or not? But if it is, I am not afraid, and more importantly have the skills to do off trail navigation. Really just looking for a nice beautiful spot that isnt a crowded campsite with a ton of people.

As always, thanks in advance, I always love all your tips, and as usual I will share my pictures when I come back!

While not a loop, you could go up the Boy Scout Trail a ways. I took someone last Feb and we did not have anyone anywhere near us when we stopped to camp and it was gorgeous too. There are a few others as well. I found that most people seemed to stick to the shorter "touristy" spots. The Boy Scout trail is not overly tough, has good scenery, is close to the Wonderland of Rocks and WIllow Hole as well.

While not a loop, you could go up the Boy Scout Trail a ways. I took someone last Feb and we did not have anyone anywhere near us when we stopped to camp and it was gorgeous too. There are a few others as well. I found that most people seemed to stick to the shorter "touristy" spots. The Boy Scout trail is not overly tough, has good scenery, is close to the Wonderland of Rocks and WIllow Hole as well.
In the CA area, if you want pretty 1st timer backpacking, you should consider Crystal Cove State Park. It doesn't have water, but neither does Joshua tree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We're just back from trip there. Porcupine Wash looked like a good place for this. Boy Scout Trail is quite mountainous in the middle, but either end has lots of flat spaces. Any place that has water in JTNP is protected from any kind of camping, because they don't want you scaring the wildlife away from its only source of water. Which means you have to carry yours.

Death Valley has a lot of options as well..