Jeep Driving in The Maze

MVS

I've been puzzling about this until it just dawned on me to ask you guys about what I can expect Jeep driving in The Maze. I plan to be in Utah in October, and seriously want to travel in The Maze. I will be in a rented, modified Jeep from Canyonlands Jeep Adventures, which has higher ground clearance, and I want to know how feasible it will be to drive to Panorama Point / Cleopatra's Chair, down the Flint Trail and out to the Maze Overlook, or past Teapot Rock out to the Chocolate Drops, Land of Standing Rocks and the Green River. Not all that experienced with the Jeep, but managed the Shafer Trails and the White Rim without a problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure you already know this, but its very remote. You're probably at least 3-5 hour drive from Hans Flat to get to most of those places. How long are you planning to stay?

As a Jeep enthusiast, If you're not experienced with driving a Jeep or off-roading in general, I would advise you to avoid the Maze, especially if going alone in a rental Jeep that you're not familiar with. You need to be completely self-reliant as you may not see any other vehicle while you're out there. Most people who venture out there in vehicles are the overlanding types that carry all means necessary for self-rescue and/or travel in a small group. Every time I go out I have my hi-lift, tire repair kit, full spare, shovel and extra fuel. My Jeep is also equipped with a winch, recovery kit and CB.

That said, you could probably do Panorama Point/Cleopatra's Chair but I would be weary of going further. Just my opinion though!

The Jeep will have no problem with any of those roads, it's your experience that may be the limit.

I wouldn't worry too much with the Panorama Point / Cleopatra's Chair road - it's not difficult and is mostly just bumpy.
I think you would probably be fine going down the Flint Trail to the Maze Overlook, too.

Without much experience in a Jeep I'd be hesitant to recommend going out past Teapot Rock by yourself.

I don't drive in the Maze, so can't chime in on that.

But as to camps and access to cool places, I find the Maze Overlook a smidge more desirable than the Doll House and far better than Chimney Rock and vicinity. And supposedly much simpler driving there.

Golden Stairs is nice for being relatively easy to get to on the Flint route in and out of the Maze. A visit to Lou's Spring is the hike to do from here.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
scatman Parley's Ridge or Subaru to Jeep - April 25, 2020 Hiking & Camping 20
katuah Jeep repair near 4 corners? General Discussion 0
Ugly A Washington Backpack and some driving Backpacking 14
S Driving to poverty flats (South Coyote Buttes) on AWD Trip Planning 11
Rockskipper Campers escape by driving through wildfire in Glacier NP General Discussion 0
regehr driving on wet clay General Discussion 18
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
RyanP The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze) Trip Planning 15
regehr maze road has a sand dune Trip Planning 14
JBPHXAZ Crossing Spanish Bottom from Needles to the Maze (and back) Trip Planning 13
RyanP Maze questions---Sweet Alice Canyon, etc Trip Planning 23
TrailScot 10 days in The Maze - April 2019 Backpacking 22
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Deadman's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : The Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 5
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Lands End Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Cowboy Cave Hiking & Camping 2
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Moonshine Wash Hiking & Camping 11
Stephanie B Second Journey into The Maze : Butterfly Bend and Chaffin Geyser Hiking & Camping 0
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
wesleyS The Maze road conditions Off Road 0
G The Maze! 6-day backpack trip Backpacking 5
ramblinman The Maze in March Backpacking 4
RyanP The Maze Trip Planning 28
Udink Maze II Hiking & Camping 4
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
frahminator Journey Through The Maze - April 2017 (Day 1 of 5) Backpacking 4
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
Nick The Maze III Off Road 28
Udink Maze Overlook to Harvest Scene Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend III Hiking & Camping 6
Joey 10 Days in the Maze (video) Backpacking 21
IntrepidXJ Maze Memorial Weekend II Hiking & Camping 7
Joey Enjoying the Maze, April 2015, Part 2 Days 6 - 10 Backpacking 11
Joey Enjoying The Maze, April 2015, Part 1, Days 1-5 Backpacking 13
steve Invite Last-minute Maze Figure 8 packrafting trip this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 3
Ross Six days in The Maze (with some Arches to warm up) Hiking & Camping 4
Joey Canyonlands's Maze and Fins Loop Backpacking 14
steve Maze help needed: Route into Water Canyon from Chimney Rock? Trip Planning 9
Bob Maze - Canyonlands Backpacking 10
steve The Maze Hiking & Camping 5
Kullaberg63 Devil's Slide to Horsethief Canyon; a northern Maze district packraft loop Backpacking 9
Joey 8 Days In The Maze, Canyonlands NP Backpacking 7