Invite: Exploring Little Colorado's north rim + Colorado East Rim viewpts

Ross

Two of us from the UK are renting a 4WD Jeep to explore a number of viewpoints over Oct 14, 15, 16, weather permitting if roads are dry. These include Hansbrough Point, Red Wall Canyon and Tatahatso Point on the Colorado's east rim.
We also intend going to points on the Little Colorado's north rim near its confluence with the Colorado, and hiking around an area where it doglegs to the south, while Big Canyon joins from the east and Salt Trail Canyon from the north (so canyons in all directions). These are remote Indian routes although generally maintained, but we thought it would still be wise to have 2 vehicles on the trip, so if anyone else has a 4WD and wants to join us we'd love to have you. We could also probably fit one or 2 others in the 4WD we are renting for those 3 days if you don't have another one. We will camp for sunset/sunrise pictures at 2 of these spots.

I'm jealous! I've only seen the Little Colorado once, many years ago, and want to get back someday.

I can't help with your second vehicle request, but I just popped in to say please be sure to check that your rented jeep in fact has functional 4WD before you drive it away. I didn't even know Jeep made 2WD vehicles until we came across some tourists stuck at the bottom of a hill on the Hole in th a rock Road in Escalante a few years ago. They'd been flying over from Germany to go to Escalante for years, and renting a jeep in Vegas. That year, they got stuck with a 2WD Jeep and didn't realize it until they went to turn the 4WD on and it wasn't there! Fortunately there were enough people on the road that we were able to get them out.

I'm jealous! I've only seen the Little Colorado once, many years ago, and want to get back someday.

I can't help with your second vehicle request, but I just popped in to say please be sure to check that your rented jeep in fact has functional 4WD before you drive it away. I didn't even know Jeep made 2WD vehicles until we came across some tourists stuck at the bottom of a hill on the Hole in th a rock Road in Escalante a few years ago. They'd been flying over from Germany to go to Escalante for years, and renting a jeep in Vegas. That year, they got stuck with a 2WD Jeep and didn't realize it until they went to turn the 4WD on and it wasn't there! Fortunately there were enough people on the road that we were able to get them out.

Thanks for the advice Melissa. Yes, I think you're right - some of the airport rental companies rent out 2WD versions of "4WD cars", but hopefully as we're paying more specifically to go off road to a Page firm he will give a suitable 4WD Jeep. It's looking like we do have a second vehicle now joining us with just one person driving, so if you wanted to just come along there would probably be space in one of the two vehicles.

The LCR is pretty much all Indian land......better check on permits from the local Chapter house.....a million roads out there too...GPSr is a must. Extra gas as its really FAR from anything

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ross Bull Valley Gorge invite Oct 5 - & latest conditions? Trip Planning 0
isleroyaleguy John Muir Trail 2016 INVITE Trip Planning 0
Bigred72 Invite: Island Lake, Uintas Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Ross Water Canyon to White Wave (help & invite) Trip Planning 8
Ross Help/Invite:Cape Solitude at rim of Colorado & Little Colorado confluence Trip Planning 0
Nanda Long Road Trip/Fly Fishing Invite Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Christian Invite: Canyoneering this weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 34
Mike K Selway River Planning/Invite Trip Planning 8
steve Invite Last-minute invite: Day Hike up AF Canyon - Sat, May 17 Meet Up (Members Only) 41
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
MikeP Exploring/Calf Creek Trip Planning 28
TrailScot Needles Exploring - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 6
kwc Exploring the past in the Southern Adirondacks Everything Else 1
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018 - a solo trip hiking and exploring America's first National Park: Part II Madison Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018- A solo trip hiking and exploring America’s first National Park: Part I Mammoth Hiking & Camping 13
Perry Exploring above Cataract Basin - One of the Best Seats in the House Hiking & Camping 1
fossana Plan B Rainy Day Backyard Exploring Hiking & Camping 9
BryanG Exploring Southern Utah Trip Planning 15
hatchcanyon Exploring Southern Utah by Airplane Everything Else 20
Scott Chandler Exploring Zion's Kolob Backpacking 5
IntrepidXJ Salt Creek Exploring & The Drive Home Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Exploring the Arches Backcountry Hiking & Camping 0
Yvonne Exploring Horse Canyon, June 2010 Off Road 6
IntrepidXJ Exploring the Arches Backcountry Hiking & Camping 0
Yvonne Exploring the Swell, June 2011 Off Road 5
IntrepidXJ Exploring the Arches Backcountry Hiking & Camping 6
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
F Little Death Hollow Backpack Trip Planning 2
scatman Little Mountain - January 21, 2023 Hiking & Camping 28
westy A little bragging General Discussion 1
balzaccom A little help, please? Backpacking 0
scatman Little Mountain - January 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Rockskipper Sayonara, Quiet Little Green River General Discussion 8
C Little Hiking, Little Rockhounding Everything Else 0
regehr Little Wild Horse fatalaties Monday General Discussion 12
W Little Colorado shuttle / transport Trip Planning 7
D New dams proposed for Little Colorado River/Grand Canyon General Discussion 2
kwc A little more Adirondack wandering ... Hiking & Camping 1
SteveR Still Winter- Little Crowfoot Peak Winter Sports 4
piper01 Little Death Hollow, GSENM Hiking & Camping 3
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
o2bav8 A little bit of everything & don't drive on blue clay when wet Hiking & Camping 18
scatman Little Cataloochee Trail, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - June 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 13
J Escalante Natl Mon. Wolverine and Little Death Hollow and overland routes April 22-25, 2018 Backpacking 0
M Escalante- Little Death Hollow Loop conditions? Trip Planning 14
RyanP Little Wild Horse tips for this weekend? Deep cold water in canyon? Trip Planning 5
swmalone Willow Creek to Little Cottonwood Creek Loop Trail Hiking & Camping 0
tomcat32 Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Little Rainbow Mountain Hiking & Camping 3