Interesting Article

cool article and discussion, thanks @scatman

makes me think of the "mystery" of where the Nez Perce (another bunch of tough hombres) went on their way out of Yellowstone. There has been some controversy in the historical record about the exit from the Lamar to Clark's Fork. This article has some good discussion about how the record has been difficult to untangle.

Lang, W. L. (1990). Where did the Nez Perces go in Yellowstone in 1877?. Montana: The Magazine Of Western History, 40(1), 14-29.

Interesting read @scoags. Thanks for sharing the link.

If this sign is still there, it is located just off Nez Perce Creek at the end of the meadow where you first begin to climb up to Mary Mountain
02.jpg

Back in 2016, I had planned a ten day, mostly off-trail, trip over the Mirror Plateau to Mist Creek, drop down and then bushwhack up the Lamar to Hoodoo Basin and then out. Unfortunately, my left knee didn't want to go the full ten days, so at the point we were supposed to head up the upper Lamar, we went down river instead. :( My knee just didn't work after the day that we went over Lovely Pass.

I think we should get a BCP group together and do a trip that follows the Nez Perce through the Park and into the North Absaroka Wilderness, and out Crandall Creek. Who's in? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Interesting thread you guys have going. :thumbsup: I've done some packrafting and river trips in some of the mentioned areas. Fun stuff.

@Kmatjhwy and @scatman - I'm interested in checking out the hermit book you two mentioned. Idaho Loaners you guys say? I think my wife would like that. She grew up in Idaho, spent a lot of summers in Warren, and remembers stories from her Dad about the hermits. I always wondered what that was all about so that book sounds intriguing. Thanks.

Yes, Idaho Loners. Looks like you can pick up a used copy for about 16 bucks on Amazon.

Interesting read @scoags. Thanks for sharing the link.

If this sign is still there, it is located just off Nez Perce Creek at the end of the meadow where you first begin to climb up to Mary Mountain
View attachment 94625

Back in 2016, I had planned a ten day, mostly off-trail, trip over the Mirror Plateau to Mist Creek, drop down and then bushwhack up the Lamar to Hoodoo Basin and then out. Unfortunately, my left knee didn't want to go the full ten days, so at the point we were supposed to head up the upper Lamar, we went down river instead. :( My knee just didn't work after the day that we went over Lovely Pass.

I think we should get a BCP group together and do a trip that follows the Nez Perce through the Park and into the North Absaroka Wilderness, and out Crandall Creek. Who's in? :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I've somewhat seriously tossed around retracing the whole Nez Perce flight as a long-distance hike hike before. Won't say it would be "fun" per se, as the historical circumstances are a delightful cocktail of deplorable and horrifying, but I do think it'd be meaningful.

I think we should get a BCP group together and do a trip that follows the Nez Perce through the Park and into the North Absaroka Wilderness, and out Crandall Creek. Who's in?
I'm in. I've been thinking about doing that, I think it would be a pretty fantastic trip. That's a cool sign, I wonder when its from that style isn't something I've seen a lot of.

@LarryBoy is right the flight of the Nez Perce was pretty brutal. A recent book by Elliott West ("The Last Indian War") is really good on the whole story. It benefits from some recent work in the field. The standard is still probably "I Will Fight No More Forever" by Beal, but the Elliot West book updates the story and debunks some myths about Chief Joseph, and the Nez Perce as a whole.

I just finished the Zoom presentation on Facebook - very informative and enjoyable. Those folks are after my own heart. I've spent many a summer locating and hiking the old trails in Yellowstone and just loved it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @LarryBoy.

A couple of shots of hiking the old Plateau Trail between Mary Lake and Beach Lake in Yellowstone
View attachment 94611

View attachment 94612
They say if you squint hard enough, you can see a trail through all the deadfall :p

I've somewhat seriously tossed around retracing the whole Nez Perce flight as a long-distance hike hike before. Won't say it would be "fun" per se, as the historical circumstances are a delightful cocktail of deplorable and horrifying, but I do think it'd be meaningful.

Should have known a short jaunt through Yellowstone and neighboring wilderness was too short for you. :) I like your long-distance hike plan. Would this include a lot of road hiking to stay true to the route the Nez Perce took?