Input on upcoming High Uintas trip

ledcat

Hi folks, in a couple weeks we are headed out for a 7-8 a day trip. We'll be leaving from the Hayden Pass/Highline TH. MyY itinerary looks like this right now, 1st day make it to Carlyn Lakes area. 2nd day, over Rocky Sea Pass, and either left on the Rock Creek Trail or stay on the Highline, both ending up at Reconnaissance Lake maybe Ledge Lake, but I wanted to see Yard Peak. 3rd day, over Dead Horse Pass, over Red Knob Pass, and over to Crater lake. 4th day, back on trail hang a left up to Lambert meadows/Lambert lake, and on to around the area where Squaw pass trail intersects, camp somewhere above that, maybe above those old cabins that are there. 5th day, over Porcupine Pass and here is where I'm looking for a little advise, staying on the west side of Tungsten Pass at Tungsten Lake or over the Pass and stay at the Lake on the other side. Additionally, we could continue on to the Yellowstone creek area. The Yellowstone creek area even puts the day a little light at about 7 miles buy my estimates, but is there a nice spot in that Yellowstone Creek area? 6th day, up over Anderson Pass, Gunsight Pass, and down to Henry's Fork or Dollar lake. 7th day down and out to China Meadows. Well, any input or suggestions would be welcome.

I was just there. We came up through the Garfield Basin, over Tungsten, and into the Yellowstone Creek area, then down the Swift Creek drainage. If that day is a light mileage day, I would recommend you get as close to the initial climb of Anderson Pass as you can. There are some great places to camp, but no lakes. If you are wanting to be by a lake, Tungsten Lake would be a better place than the unnamed lake on the east side of the pass. You can find decent fishing in the lakes north of Tungsten.

Sounds Fun!

Hi folks, in a couple weeks we are headed out for a 7-8 a day trip. We'll be leaving from the Hayden Pass/Highline TH. My itinerary looks like this right now, 1st day make it to Carlyn Lakes area.

I would suggest if you're going as far as Carolyn Lake, just keep going to Pigeon Milk Springs - best water I've ever had in the Uintas. There are two really good camp spots there as well. I don't know the directions there off the top of my head, but as you're on the trail just before you get to the spring on your left across the stream that comes from the spring is the best one. Totally shaded and flat. Plus your right next to some nice cold water!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Input for our trip to the Winds??? Trip Planning 6
fossana BLM looking for input on accelerating grazing permits (comment through 6 Mar) General Discussion 2
Janice Opportunity to provide input on policies for Coyote Buttes North ("The Wave") and nearby areas General Discussion 27
T Best practices for upcoming trip General Discussion 4
Michael Help, tips, suggestions 4 our upcoming 2015 trip Trip Planning 17
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
Dave High Uinta sheep grazing EIS General Discussion 2
J Cali: Cinder Cones, High Sierra Rambles, Famous Domes Oct 26-31, 2018 Hiking & Camping 3
R Psuedoephedrine at high altitude General Discussion 6
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
scatman High Sierra Trail Backpacking 23
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke High Uintas: Allen Lake and Thunderstorms Backpacking 0
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
westy High Uintas - Middle Basin Backpacking 5
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2
N Which High Uintas overnight hike? Trip Planning 2
mattvogt7 High Water Bruneau On The Water 8