Input for our trip to the Winds???

DCastle

We are heading back the Wind River range this year. I would love to hear about your favorite routes there. We hiked Elkhart to Titcomb 2 years ago and loved it, which is why we are coming back this year. We are thinking either the Cirque, or a route from Green River Lakes. We are looking for a 4-5 day trip. We like to fish along the way and take in the scenery. I am a sucker for a good waterfall on our routes. We are experienced hikers, but slow and steady wins the race with us.

Another question, last time we were there, I ran into someone that told me about a lodge or a ranch close to a trailhead and I can't remember what it was. I believe it was close to New Fork Lakes TH. Does this ring a bell to anyone that has been there? We are just looking for a place to stay to acclimate for a few days before the trip.

Thanks!
Dianne

b.stark

Forever Wandering
There's Big Sandy Lodge near the Big Sandy trailhead. I'm not aware of any others, but only know of that one because some friends stayed there before a hike a few years back. I usually stay in Pinedale for pre or post hike lodging.

Going to be a lot of climbing out of Green River Lakes to really get to much fishing, other than the Green River lakes themselves. The stream above the upper lake does not have a good reputation for fishing due to sediment load, but I cannot confirm that reputation with personal experience. I have a few spots from memory, but most of my fishing in the winds is getting to be outdated information unfortunately... I really need to get back up there for a solid trip with a fishing pole! My one bit of advice is don't expect many lunkers in the high country, although once in a while you may tangle with some decent ones. Mostly you will find eater sized fish of various species. As often happens in the Winds and Beartooths, many lakes with brookies will be overpopulated with stunted fish.

marmot_boi

I did a 5 day loop from Big Sandy last summer, up over Hailey Pass, by Grave Lake and Ranger Park, then took the Lizard Head trail south to the Cirque, then out over Jackass Pass. I would highly recommend that route. There is a pretty nice but not exceptional waterfall west of Grave Lake. Plenty of cutthroat in the area, and some lakers in Grave as well. Brookies on the west side of the divide and the Cirque. The Lizard Head trail is a long day but has pretty incredible views.

Bob

Trailmaster
West side...East Fork area, europe canyon. East side...Trip out of Torrey Th.... Ross lakes great fishing waterfalls..... Loop to Bomber and back. Up dinwoody to ink wells and around. All have some off trail.

DCastle

There's Big Sandy Lodge near the Big Sandy trailhead. I'm not aware of any others, but only know of that one because some friends stayed there before a hike a few years back. I usually stay in Pinedale for pre or post hike lodging.

Going to be a lot of climbing out of Green River Lakes to really get to much fishing, other than the Green River lakes themselves. The stream above the upper lake does not have a good reputation for fishing due to sediment load, but I cannot confirm that reputation with personal experience. I have a few spots from memory, but most of my fishing in the winds is getting to be outdated information unfortunately... I really need to get back up there for a solid trip with a fishing pole! My one bit of advice is don't expect many lunkers in the high country, although once in a while you may tangle with some decent ones. Mostly you will find eater sized fish of various species. As often happens in the Winds and Beartooths, many lakes with brookies will be overpopulated with stunted fish.
Thanks for the info! No lunkers needed with us, as long as we catch some fish, we aren't picky.

DCastle

West side...East Fork area, europe canyon. East side...Trip out of Torrey Th.... Ross lakes great fishing waterfalls..... Loop to Bomber and back. Up dinwoody to ink wells and around. All have some off trail.
Thank you! I'll check these out.

DCastle

I did a 5 day loop from Big Sandy last summer, up over Hailey Pass, by Grave Lake and Ranger Park, then took the Lizard Head trail south to the Cirque, then out over Jackass Pass. I would highly recommend that route. There is a pretty nice but not exceptional waterfall west of Grave Lake. Plenty of cutthroat in the area, and some lakers in Grave as well. Brookies on the west side of the divide and the Cirque. The Lizard Head trail is a long day but has pretty incredible views.
Thank you for the info! I'll check this out!