Indian Creek

Udink

Still right here.
I originally expected this post to be titled "Indian Creek and Davis Canyon," but I underestimated the awesomeness of Indian Creek. Alan and I spent eight hours on Saturday exploring along a stretch of UT-211 just over four miles long and found hundreds of petroglyphs and a few pictographs. I took over 700 photos--my new record for a single day--and Alan took nearly 1,000! We were finding so much rock art along Indian Creek that we never made it to Davis Canyon, and even during the drive back out of Indian Creek we were spotting rock art that we'd missed on the way in. At some point one has to draw the line, though, and if we wanted to make it home before summer we needed to just keep on driving.

Alan planned the trip and we got the usual 6AM start from my place. There was a lot of fog between I-70 and Moab, and south of Moab the roads were snow-covered. We hadn't planned on there being several inches of new snow in Indian Creek Canyon but it didn't hinder us much. We stopped first just around the corner from Newspaper Rock and looked at some petroglyphs and inscriptions from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Newspaper Rock was mostly covered with snow. I didn't really mind the snow over the rock art--it gave it a uniqueness not often seen.

Ice crystals that grew in columns on the Jeep while driving through fog on the way to Moab
IMG_1957.JPG

Church Rock in the mirror from UT-211
IMG_1958.JPG

Cliffs with old inscriptions and petroglyphs
IMG_1959.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_1960.JPG

Part of an 1885 inscription
IMG_1989.JPG

Newspaper Rock
IMG_1997.JPG

Newspaper Rock
IMG_1999.JPG

We didn't have a lot of stops planned for this trip. There were some places where Alan knew of rock art, but for the most part we just drove slowly and stopped whenever either of us saw something. The next stop after Newspaper Rock was one such place with some petroglyphs spotted from the Jeep. There was so little traffic, and so much snow on the shoulder of the road, that I just parked in the travel lane with the hazard lights flashing. There was a very nice panel there with three large bighorn sheep, and nearby was a row of nine smaller sheep.

Three sheep
IMG_2011.JPG

Checking out some petroglyphs we spotted from the road
IMG_2009.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2014.JPG

Nine sheep
IMG_2024.JPG

We made frequent stops and they all blurred into one another. I lost track of the number of individual sites we visited. Some rock art panels were very close to road level and others were up steep talus slopes. Most of the sites were within spitting distance of the road but we did hike up a few side canyons. The photos tell the story better than a narrative, so here are a bunch of 'em.

Sun petroglyph spotted from the road
IMG_2028.JPG

Parked on UT-211 looking for rock art
IMG_2029.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2053.JPG

Figure inside a figure
IMG_2055.JPG

Many snake petroglyphs
IMG_2064.JPG

Hiking up to some petroglyphs
IMG_2088.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2112.JPG

Large petroglyph panel
IMG_2114.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2142.JPG

Climbing down from some very high petroglyphs
IMG_2149.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2163.JPG

Parked along UT-211
IMG_2180.JPG

Crossing Indian Creek
IMG_2184.JPG

Very faded pictograph
IMG_2253.JPG

Unnamed side canyon
IMG_2275.JPG

Yucca and snow
IMG_2277.JPG

Alan getting a closer look at some petroglyphs
IMG_2278.JPG

Three figures
IMG_2299.JPG

Large prickly pear cactus
IMG_2314.JPG

Large and very cool petroglyph panel (there are even some glyphs inside the crack)
IMG_2325.JPG

Long snake petroglyphs
IMG_2334.JPG

Centipede and circles
IMG_2342.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2368.JPG

Three sheep
IMG_2369.JPG

Big-foot archer
IMG_2372.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2385.JPG

Faintly-abraded figure with some petroglyphs
IMG_2403.JPG

Large abraded figures only reachable by climbing up a crack between a boulder and the cliff
IMG_2418.JPG

Climbing down the crack
IMG_2425.JPG

Side canyon
IMG_2429.JPG

Very cool flute player
IMG_2451.JPG

Kangaroo
IMG_2460.JPG

High and low petroglyphs
IMG_2469.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2481.JPG

Two (or three?) figures
IMG_2490.JPG

View up the canyon
IMG_2499.JPG

As we approached our last planned stop I took a breather while scrambling up a steep hill and trained my binoculars on the cliffs farther down the canyon. I spotted a granary 0.3 miles away and hoped we'd have time to hiked up to it before the sun set. The panel we were hiking up to, called Fighting Men, had a lot of other great petroglyphs near it. It took Alan and I a while to clear the cliffs in each direction before being sure we'd seen it all, then moved on toward the granary.

A granary that I spotted through binoculars from 0.3 miles away
IMG_2503.JPG

Inside-outside
IMG_2504.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2514.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2524.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2528.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2530.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2541.JPG

White pictograph
IMG_2552.JPG

Getting the shot up high
IMG_2558.JPG

Fighting Men panel
IMG_2566.JPG

Fighting Men
IMG_2571.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_2583.JPG

We got up to the granary while the sun was still shining. There were a few large abraded (as opposed to pecked) petroglyphs near the granary, along with a LOT of inscriptions. Shadows rose on the cliff walls as Alan and I searched them for more rock art. We found a few more petroglyphs, and I found a cave-like feature but it was too dark for me to explore fully. I took a few photos with the flash on but it wasn't until after getting home and viewing the photos on my computer that I realized there was an 1899 inscription and some petroglyphs inside.

Granary
IMG_2597.JPG

Old inscriptions, abraded shield figures, and probably a Ute horse petroglyph
IMG_2602.JPG

Inscriptions and concentric circle petroglyph above the granary
IMG_2618.JPG

Sun setting on the granary
IMG_2620.JPG

Odd petroglyph
IMG_2631.JPG

Inside the cave near the granary
IMG_2646.JPG

Shadows rising on the cliffs of Indian Creek
IMG_2653.JPG

It got cold quickly with the sun behind the western canyon walls. There was a lot more to see but our exploration was over for the day. It's somewhat of a long drive for just a daytrip, but I can foresee me going back to Indian Creek again a few more times.

Deer and an old cabin
IMG_2655.JPG

Donnelly Canyon
IMG_2659.JPG

Peak 7,010' (directly west of Newspaper Rock)
IMG_2664.JPG

Full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/IndianCreek

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

WAY cool! I'm blown away by how much art you found in such a short time and space! Just amazing. And may I just say, screw FB for not showing me this album when you posted it. I saw this trip report and was more surprised than usual!

I've driven through Indian Creek Canyon countless times, and I almost always spot something new on each trip!

And may I just say, screw FB for not showing me this album when you posted it.
Yeah, I've never figured out what their rationale is for not letting you see everything your friends post. :devil:

I've driven through Indian Creek Canyon countless times, and I almost always spot something new on each trip!
If I ever make it back for Davis Canyon I'll have to plan an overnighter and devote an entire day just to make the drive through Indian Creek! :D Although I'm sure Davis Canyon itself is worth an entire day, so it's just as well that I didn't make it there this weekend.

If I ever make it back for Davis Canyon I'll have to plan an overnighter and devote an entire day just to make the drive through Indian Creek! :D Although I'm sure Davis Canyon itself is worth an entire day, so it's just as well that I didn't make it there this weekend.

Davis is definitely worth a full day....and more :) There's a nice place to camp just outside the park boundary :)

Awesome TR! Thanks for sharing the great photos as well!

Nice TR Dennis! I love Indian Creek. I done the drive slow and spot rock art thing through there before. Lots of neat stuff! Due to the lack of good turnouts, one of these days I figure I'll just hike alongside the road for four or five miles to see what else I can find.