Indian Creek info needed

Antlerking

I know a few of you have hit Salt Creek down in Cayonlands. I'm wanting to plan a trip down to Indian Creek in Canyonlands. Do any of you have information on that canyon you would be willing to share or PM me? I'm looking at a late spring trip, if time permits I would like to go in Indian Creek and out Salt Creek (find a side canyon.

I'm no help on Indian Creek, but I'd be curious to see the route you were thinking of. Are you talking Salt Creek that is south of the visitor center?

Hmm... those canyons don't intersect, so where are you hoping to connect them?

I've been through lower Indian Creek and rim-walked Lower Salt Creek as well as through the upper Salt Creek area that is semi-popular. Let me know where you are looking and I'll see what I can offer.

- Jamal

Nick,
It's been so long sense I was in Canyonlands, I'm not sure where the Visitor Center is. From looking at your post, it's the canyon east of your trip in Salt Creek. I'm not sure on the route, I was looking at maps the other day and Google Earth. Indian Canyon looks like a fun place to explore for a few days, a little less traveled. I would like to do a round trip and come out Salt Creek if I can get permits for both. I want to photograph that nice red, white and blue Pictograph over in Salt Creek.

Jammer,
I see two roads on my maps, one that ends in the head of Indian Canyon and one that comes in from the east. On Google Earth you can see many roads down in Indian Canyon and on top. I sure the Park Service has closed most of those off. I'm not sure where I would start. I'm in the early stages of planning this trip. It sounds like you've explored a bit of it all down there.

Due to our lovely government, I'm going to be short this year with my pay checks. I might have to cut out one of my Yellowstone or Wind River trips to pull this off.

Thanks guys

I think you might be looking for information on Davis or Lavender Canyons. These are forks of upper Indian Creek and there are some known routes connecting them to upper Salt Creek (but I've never personally done them.) The main part of each of these canyons have Jeep roads in them -- but I'm not sure about the current status within the park boundaries.

There are some good reports on here for upper Salt Creek. It's a great place and All-American Man is an awesome pictograph.

- Jamal

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek day hike Hiking & Camping 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, South Fork Indian Creek-Thompson Reservoir Backpacking 1
John Goering North Fork Indian Creek, Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana Backpacking 4
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Indian Creek Backpacking 6
Udink Indian Creek Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ The Needles & Indian Creek Hiking & Camping 3
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 10
M Overnight Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness or Similar Trip Planning 13
Shirt357 Indian Peaks Wilderness Permits Trip Planning 4
mike_offerman Cherokee Peak, Indian Peaks Wilderness Hiking & Camping 14
RyanP Cook Lakes to Wall Lake to Indian Basin to Titcomb Basin Trip Planning 4
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 4 Backpacking 1
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 3 Backpacking 12
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 2 Backpacking 3
danger02ward Wind Rivers - Titcomb and Indian Basins Part 1 Backpacking 1
Blake Merrell Wind River Trip - Day 4 - Indian Basin and Knife Point Glaicer Backpacking 4
Blake Merrell Titcomb Basin, Fremont Peak, Indian Basin, Knifepoint Glacier, & Island Lake Backpacking 28
uintahiker Indian Cave Nebraska Hiking & Camping 8
Mike K Indian Pass Question (Wind Rivers) Trip Planning 12
IntrepidXJ South Fork Indian Canyon Pictographs Hiking & Camping 0
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
MikeP Exploring/Calf Creek Trip Planning 28
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4