I'm in Moab Now

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
After summering in the Bighorn Mountains, I am now in the Moab area for a couple months at the least. If you are visiting Dead Horse Point soon, you may spot me working.

Anyhoo, I felt I'd share some pictures of some initial wanderings around the area.

11/2/2015
What I thought was going to be a first day on the job turned into a "go explore" day. I decided to keep things short and simple and did the Portal Overlook trail just outside Moab.

For those who have never done it, the trail starts out flat and nice.
Moab Start-1.jpg
And then climbs up some ledges to an overlook of the valley. Not a bad view for not very much effort. The mountain bike tracks I saw on the trail made me wonder how badly I'd wet my pants if I were into that sort of thing...
Moab Start-3.jpg Moab Start-4.jpg Moab Start-5.jpg
Looking at the valley, my vote was that I was early for fall colors still...
Moab Start-8.jpg

11/09/2015
Thinking I was early for fall colors the week before, I started my days off with a hike in a spot that looked like it would have good colors. Most of the Cottonwoods appeared to have lost their yellow leaves to a storm over the week, but, there were still a few changing trees and it turned into a nice stroll up the canyon.
Moab Start-9.jpg Moab Start-11.jpg
Freezing temps lately yielded this cool little find: a frosty anthill and moss!
Moab Start-12.jpg Moab Start-14.jpg
The imprint of a leaf in a riffle of the sand
Moab Start-16.jpg
This trip truly was about the details. I thought my grand shots were fairly meh.
Moab Start-17.jpg
A silly juniper growing out of rock
Moab Start-18.jpg
The Marrimac
Moab Start-20.jpg Moab Start-22.jpg Moab Start-23.jpg Moab Start-24.jpg Moab Start-25.jpg
Towards the end of the wandering I ran into this oddity. It looked like a cache of rusting out junk behind a newish grill grate. There wasn't really much stopping me from removing the grate and disturbing the rusting junk, other than a repulsion towards handling junk.
Moab Start-26.jpg
On my way back down canyon, I spent some time on the slickrock rim, looking for more cool details.
Moab Start-27.jpg
One of those details was this little Pinon Pine, inn'it cute, framing the Monitor with the rock? Aww.
Moab Start-28.jpg
And this dead...juniper I'm betting. It made an S
Moab Start-29.jpg

After going into town and buying groceries, I decided I'd try the sunset game. I'm bad at seeking sunsets, I more often than not stumble into good sunset moments. But this time I set out for The Knoll, the highest point on the mesa of Dead Horse Pt and Island in the Sky. For a high point, it's not very grand.
Moab Start-31.jpg
But the view from the top was pretty nice. I played around a lot, trying to capture the moment and be artsy while the sun made its exit from the day.
Moab Start-33.jpg Moab Start-34.jpg Moab Start-36.jpg Moab Start-37.jpg Moab Start-38.jpg Moab Start-39.jpg Moab Start-40.jpg Moab Start-42.jpg Moab Start-43.jpg Moab Start-44.jpg Moab Start-45.jpg Moab Start-46.jpg

Welcome to Utah man! Coming to visit. Nice hike report and your tree shots would work great in the tree gallery thread!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
WhozWutz Solstice in Moab Trip Planning 0
PaulMags Grand - Moab Route Backpacking 1
TrailScot New bus service to Moab and Blanding from SLC General Discussion 7
Henk Moab rock art vandalized General Discussion 1
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
Stephanie B Grotto, Hidden Valley, and Moab Mastadon Hiking & Camping 2
blueeyes Devil's Garden, Moab Hiking & Camping 5
chandlerwest Needles Loop/Druid Arch, Moab Area Hiking & Camping 11
Perry Moab Area Fire Bans Coming? General Discussion 14
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
misSOULa Weekend in Moab Hiking & Camping 6
stevecochranephotography Corona Arch Moab, Utah Hiking & Camping 8
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
swmalone Thanksgiving in Moab 2017 Everything Else 0
swmalone Question about Moab Canyoneering Trips/Guides General Discussion 8
blueeyes Canyonlands/Moab Jug Handle Bikepack Loop March 18, 2017 Everything Else 21
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
TrektheWorld Spring Break in Moab Hiking & Camping 0
Craiger Camping around Moab next weekend General Discussion 6
Nick A busy day around Moab Hiking & Camping 13
Dave Remains found near Moab General Discussion 1
Ross Hiking road trip to Dinosaur Nat Mon, The Wedge + quieter areas from Moab Hiking & Camping 9
Laura Good camping south of Moab Trip Planning 8
Christian Canyoneering East Blarney, Big Springs East, hiking to some less frequented areas in Moab Canyoneering 4
LarryBoy Moab-Hite April 25 or May 3 - Shamelessly Soliciting a Ride Trip Planning 3
N Video report Corona Arch, Moab. April 2014. Hiking & Camping 2
Kullaberg63 The rim of Kane Creek, Moab. Hiking & Camping 9
natylka Moab This Weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 0
DrNed Arches / Moab Off The Beaten Trail Trip Planning 2
Phill Monson Night Photography in Moab Photography 16
Scott Chandler A Spring Hurrah in Moab Hiking & Camping 5
K This weekend: San Rafael Swell or Moab? Trip Planning 4
Kullaberg63 Newbie living in Moab Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Scott Chandler Backpacking near Moab Trip Planning 4
IntrepidXJ President’s Day Weekend in Moab Hiking & Camping 3
pixie1339 Stolen Dinosaur Track In Moab General Discussion 3
Phill Monson Moab in Winter Photography 3