I have a dream, too

Laura

freespirittraveler
Though it's much more modest than Nick's epic adventure. I think I'll do my first solo backpack (I sure have come a long way since this weekend when I was wondering if I was too old for this) in Canyonlands. Probably just an overnighter because I'm a lightweight. My dream is to take an amazing photograph in Canyonlands without crowds around me. 1. Lathrop Trail goes down to the river, and while you have to camp 4 miles up I was thinking of walking down to the river at dawn. Does anyone know if the scenery is dramatic (and worth the hike in the dark)? 2. I was also thinking of camping at Murphy Overlook-can you even do that? 3. Last, I was looking at the map of White Rim Overlook Road by Hardscrabble camps. There's a tempting trail that leads to an overlook of the bend in the Green River. What's the drive like on the White Rim Road between Taylor Canyon and Hardscrabble camps? Can I get up to that overlook trail?

Dreaming away………!

The view at the bottom of Lathrop Canyon wasn't that great from what I remember....you'll have to fight your way through tamarisk, too when you get near the river.

The view at the bottom of Lathrop Canyon wasn't that great from what I remember....you'll have to fight your way through tamarisk, too when you get near the river.

Thanks for saving me the trip! :D

The scenery at the mouth of Lathrop is not particularly inspiring - and certainly not worth walking in the dark for when you can just as easily drive there in the daylight :).

IMG_3501.jpg

Driving conditions on White Rim are both highly variable and highly subjective. Right after a good runoff or storm event and before any maintenance, it can be pretty rough - closed, even. Generally though, it's just a rough dirt road, I don't consider it even slightly difficult. But, depending on the vehicle and driving experience/comfort level, some will certainly disagree with my asseessment.

- DAA

Generally though, it's just a rough dirt road, I don't consider it even slightly difficult. But, depending on the vehicle and driving experience/comfort level, some will certainly disagree with my assessment.

It greatly depends on the vehicle. ;)

The scenery at the mouth of Lathrop is not particularly inspiring - and certainly not worth walking in the dark for when you can just as easily drive there in the daylight :).

IMG_3501.jpg

Driving conditions on White Rim are both highly variable and highly subjective. Right after a good runoff or storm event and before any maintenance, it can be pretty rough - closed, even. Generally though, it's just a rough dirt road, I don't consider it even slightly difficult. But, depending on the vehicle and driving experience/comfort level, some will certainly disagree with my asseessment.

- DAA

That is certainly not terribly inspiring, I agree. I have a Ford Escape w/AWD and I look for any excuse to drive off-road, so I'm presuming it can handle the terrain as long as there's no storm, right?

And has anyone been to that overlook by Hardscrabble camp? If not, then I definitely need to bring back some pics.

Give me a day to figure out how to post pictures on this site, and I can show you a few.

First, you can camp down Lathrop, you don't have to stay 4 miles up. Your not suppose to camp within a mile of the road. Most people go up the side canyons, but the best spots are either climbing up onto the cliffs above, or bushwhacking upriver from the end of the road. There are nice sites on the river here to camp.

Murphy Point is probably the easiest, most spectacular backpacking site you can have. 30 minutes of easy walking to the edge overlooking the Green River and everything else. Absolutely awesome. Its hard to call this a backpack your so close to the road, but the scene is just amazing, plenty of flat spots to sleep on, right on the edge.

Hardscrabble is nice, hard to know what your looking for though. The Labyrinth campsites make more some great pictures. You can drive here, or do a nice backpack loop with Taylor Canyon and Upheaval dome. If you camp here, take the B site closer to the water.

Another great site is to drop down the gooseneck trail, and walk the white rim road south towards Monument basin. You can camp out on the edge overlooking both the basin and the Colorado. My avatar picture is from this spot a few weeks ago. One of several different awesome views you will have.

You can also do a 1 night loop, dropping down from Murphy point onto the hogsback, and walk out to the white rim road. This section, imo, is one of the most dramatic hikes in all of Utah. The road campsites are nice too, but this time of year you will have company since there are a few sites. There are at large backpacking areas here you might be able to use

Give me a day to figure out how to post pictures on this site, and I can show you a few.

First, you can camp down Lathrop, you don't have to stay 4 miles up. Your not suppose to camp within a mile of the road. Most people go up the side canyons, but the best spots are either climbing up onto the cliffs above, or bushwhacking upriver from the end of the road. There are nice sites on the river here to camp.

Murphy Point is probably the easiest, most spectacular backpacking site you can have. 30 minutes of easy walking to the edge overlooking the Green River and everything else. Absolutely awesome. Its hard to call this a backpack your so close to the road, but the scene is just amazing, plenty of flat spots to sleep on, right on the edge.

Hardscrabble is nice, hard to know what your looking for though. The Labyrinth campsites make more some great pictures. You can drive here, or do a nice backpack loop with Taylor Canyon and Upheaval dome. If you camp here, take the B site closer to the water.

Another great site is to drop down the gooseneck trail, and walk the white rim road south towards Monument basin. You can camp out on the edge overlooking both the basin and the Colorado. My avatar picture is from this spot a few weeks ago. One of several different awesome views you will have.

You can also do a 1 night loop, dropping down from Murphy point onto the hogsback, and walk out to the white rim road. This section, imo, is one of the most dramatic hikes in all of Utah. The road campsites are nice too, but this time of year you will have company since there are a few sites. There are at large backpacking areas here you might be able to use

Awesome thanks! This is just the info I was looking for. I'm so excited to see this area I just may not come back! :wavespin:

Here is a shot of camp, just up river from Lathrop Canyon. There are plenty of open places here to camp. And it is a bushwhack to get over here

Lathrop Canyon at the Colorado.jpg

Here is a shot of the Green River at the Labyrinth sites, right where Taylor Canyon intersects. The Hardscrabble area is in the background

Green River at Taylor Canyon.jpg

And here is a shot overlooking the Colorado River from a camp along the spire near the decent down into Monument Basin. You have fantastic 360 views here, including overlooking the basin which isn't in this picute
Near Monument Basin.jpg

The Island In The Sky district is awesome. And no one really backpacks here. So much attention is focused on the maze and the needles. I love this place. There are several other backpacks you can do here, but you probably won't get the picture your looking for. And you will see far less people on the trail here compared to the other sections of the park

The Island In The Sky district is awesome. And no one really backpacks here. So much attention is focused on the maze and the needles. I love this place. There are several other backpacks you can do here, but you probably won't get the picture your looking for. And you will see far less people on the trail here compared to the other sections of the park

Wow, thank you SO MUCH for posting those! I've been pouring over my Canyonlands topo just wondering what all these places look like. I can't WAIT to see this area!!!!! The trip is scheduled for late October but it's all I can think about right now. :D

All I have to add is that backpacking alone is a great way to experience your environment. Silence will follow you so you can enjoy natures sounds. You only eat when you are hungry, you only hike when you feel restless. Enjoy it, solo adventures can be exhilarating. Plus, you will love conversation when you finally experience it days later.

Okay, I'm trying to navigate the Canyonlands permit system and it is strange-as of today they aren't taking any reservations for trips after October 24 but most of the sites are booked up for after that date. o_O Do you need a permit to camp at Murphy Overlook? Looks like I may have to revamp the trip too if I can't get my camping dates, and I'm thinking of coming up through Valley of the Gods and Cedar Mesa. Are there places you can camp in those areas?

This morning the only campsites available were Airport A and C, so they must really suck. I picked Airport A, figuring it was better than nothing. So again, it doesn't seem like you need a permit to camp at Murphy Overlook, is that right?

So again, it doesn't seem like you need a permit to camp at Murphy Overlook, is that right?

Murphy Point? You will need a backcountry (backpacking) permit for the 'Murphy Point Zone' to camp at-large there. Make sure you choose Backpacking as the Activity when you choose your dates on the permit page. Otherwise you will only see the 4x4/bike camping permits.

Last edited:
This morning the only campsites available were Airport A and C, so they must really suck.

I wouldn't necessarily say they suck...it's probably just that they are not in a convenient location for people looking to complete the White Rim trail....they are closer to the beginning and many people completing the route probably want to get more miles in on their first day...