Hyperlite Face Masks

Nick

-
Hyperlite is making face masks now. I got mine today and I've gotta say, they're the best mask I've had so far. They even have the flexible metal piece across the top to form around your nose like a surgical mask. Only wish they had a Hyperlite logo on them! :lol: Highly recommend, and at 5 for $20, they're even a really good deal.

IMG_4838.jpeg

Why.... Bandana works just as well.... Costs way less.

Why.... Bandana works just as well.... Costs way less.
Because a bandana doesn't actually work as well. A bandana is made out of very low-density, loose-weave cotton, which is not as effective as a tighter weave. CDC recommendation below. I don't know exactly what the HMG masks are made out of, and I refuse to check thelink because HMG is obnoxious and overhyped, but it's almost certainly better material than bandana cotton.

That being said, I've got a homemade one (with good quilting fabric) that's way snazzier than the lame white one. Dirty Girl Gaitets meets pandemic!

Because a bandana doesn't actually work as well. A bandana is made out of very low-density, loose-weave cotton, which is not as effective as a tighter weave. CDC recommendation below. I don't know exactly what the HMG masks are made out of, and I refuse to check thelink because HMG is obnoxious and overhyped, but it's almost certainly better material than bandana cotton.

That being said, I've got a homemade one (with good quilting fabric) that's way snazzier than the lame white one. Dirty Girl Gaitets meets pandemic!

Sorry, Unless you are using a n95 mask.... The pleated "nurse" ones like you see everyone wearing are on the level of a bandana. A really good mask has to fit your face tight.... The pleated ones do not....

Sorry, Unless you are using a n95 mask.... The pleated "nurse" ones like you see everyone wearing are on the level of a bandana. A really good mask has to fit your face tight.... The pleated ones do not....
Cool. I'll go with the CDC's recommendation - which while imperfect and at time subject to political interference, is a lot more informed than your opinion or mine.

I don't know exactly what the HMG masks are made out of, and I refuse to check thelink because HMG is obnoxious and overhyped, but it's almost certainly better material than bandana cotton.

100% Polyester.

Cool. I'll go with the CDC's recommendation - which while imperfect and at time subject to political interference, is a lot more informed than your opinion or mine.
Whatever.... It's choice .. what the country is built on..... AND FYI.... I work in EMS .... Have for 10 yrs, so I know a little about protective items

I'll just say that if one is wanting to effectively protect oneself, then what @Bob is saying, makes sense. But on the side of @Larry and CDC and all that, its my understanding that all these homemade and cottage made masks and so forth are being recommended, not to effectively protect the wearer, but to prevent spread of germs of the wearer to others. If one has to cough or sneeze, the mask catches that vast majority of the vapors projected outward and significantly decreases the distance of that which does go beyond the mask, not to mention the vapors that escape with normal talking and breathing. And the denser the weave of fabric, the better. But a bandana is still better than nothing at all. Such masks also help deter hands from touching mouth and nose when out shopping, riding public transportation, and participating in more public activities like that. I always have to remind myself of this because when I wear my own mask or see others, it's instinctive to think of it as a PPE item, anticipating it will protect me and it's not. It's for protecting others that I am asked to wear one, because so many who have been and are infected with the virus don't know it because they don't show or feel symptoms and thus aren't tested. If testing was wide-spread such that every member of society could and would get tested, traced, and quarantined as appropriately, the mask trend wouldn't be what it is now. But due to the limitations of current testing both for active virus and anti-bodies, here we are.

Worth a read:

There was a recent Univ of Chicago study from some environmental safety researchers on mask fabric type effectiveness: https://news.uchicago.edu/story/homemade-masks-made-silk-and-cotton-may-boost-protection

The researchers pointed out that tightly woven fabrics, such as cotton, can act as a mechanical barrier to particles; whereas fabrics that hold a static charge, like certain types of chiffon and natural silk, can serve as an electrostatic barrier. The electrostatic effect serves to suck in and hold the tiniest particles, which might otherwise slip through holes in the cotton. This is key to how N95 masks are constructed.

Also of note:
...even a small gap reduced the filtering efficiency of all masks by half or more...

Non-woven interfacing is 100% poly, so a quick option is to iron the fusible kind onto cotton.