How many have relocated to be closer to outdoor activities?

Any locals from Grand Junction here? what can you tell me about climate? mountains and backpacking opportunities,? crime?

Fort Collins has pretty much everything that Colorado Springs has , but is more liberal. OK, no Garden of the Gods or Air Force Academy, but recreation-wise, a great place.

Fort Collins has pretty much everything that Colorado Springs has , but is more liberal. OK, no Garden of the Gods or Air Force Academy, but recreation-wise, a great place.
Hmm quick search shows adequate employment opportunities. I'll have to look into Fort Collins, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would give my right arm to be able to relocate to either anywhere on the Colorado Plateau or the Eastern Sierra, not so easy for those of us from outside the US though :( Anyone wanna give me a job and sponsor me?! lol

Hmm quick search shows adequate employment opportunities. I'll have to look into Fort Collins, thanks
The Springs and Ft. Collins are both nice places. One drawback to both however is the logistics of getting anywhere from those cities. Both have smaller roads that will take you west into the Rockies, but they're limited. The big advantage of the Denver metro area (besides jobs) is the ease with which you can jump on I-70 west to head to the good ski areas and/or back country. Not to say you can't do it from the Springs or Ft. Collins as well, but you're more limited and it takes longer.

Took an internship out in Utah during college, mostly to spend a summer out in the mountains. Liked the job, liked the area, loved the outdoors. Moved back here after college and it's been the best years of my life.

I might encourage you to consider northern Utah. So much diversity of landscape within a four hour drive. Zion or the Tetons.

Just joined this site today, but last week I was browsing hospital IT jobs in Grand Junction. Then I read this post. Must be a sign to get the hell out of PA. Anyone need healthcare IT professional? ;)

Another nod to Grand Junction. Spent 5 years there and loved it. Gateway to canyon country. Not far from the West Elks and Raggeds, my go-to's for high elevation backpacking. Grand Mesa has some of the best XC skiing around.
So much variety. It seemed to be a mix of the extractive industry crowd and more progressive outdoor folk when I was there, and the downtown is really nice. Big farmers market.
I lived in Denver for 2 years but the traffic sucked. Just trying to get out and head west...and back home on a sunday, sucked. The west slope is where its at!
If I ever moved back that way, it would probably be GJ.

I'm a Masshole, but family has always been in Wyoming. I had a great childhood snowbirding here and the last 15 years after 30 years in Southern Colorado.

I think Grand Junction is an awesome place. The dry heat though can bake you at times. I went to college in Colorado Springs and stayed in that area for 20 years. Then I lived half the year in La Veta and half the year up here on the Guest Ranch family owns. Five years ago I moved to Jackson, just over a dozen miles from the home I enjoyed as a boy and young man.

I70 is !@#$. I hardly ever went north of it unless headed up to Wyoming. US 24 West out of The Springs can sometimes be a !@#$ if you're a mensa reject and drive it at precisely the wrong time, but it's a relatively short shot to Breckenridge and Buena "Buhney" Vista, and not much farther to what I think is the coolest town in the Rockies, Salida. And HWY 115 almost always took me quite quickly to what I know to be the glory of Colorado, the Sangres. La Veta is just 90 minutes from the Springs away 45 miles SW of Pueblo.

Remember most of the roads here in the west can and will shutdown for long periods of time because of response times for accidents.

Kimbur,

Where have you been out here? How important is culture, etc.?

As much as I hate I70 Denver has come into its own as a VERY fine city. After the Rockies came with Coors field Lodo was seriousy enovated, lots of awesome restaurants, shops of all kinds, etc. Denver is also has an aamzing music scene now, lots of venues.

I don't think Fort Collins has nearly the outdoor recreational variety and quality The Springs has and I'm of the serious bias the best of Colorado is south of HWY 50. However, I think Fort Collins might be the best small city in the time zone and there is great stuff like the Zirkel, etc. The Springs is big city now. It was a third the size it is now when I got there in the earliest 80s.

I wish you greatness wherever you go Kimbur.

I'm a Masshole, but family has always been in Wyoming. I had a great childhood snowbirding here and the last 15 years after 30 years in Southern Colorado.

I think Grand Junction is an awesome place. The dry heat though can bake you at times. I went to college in Colorado Springs and stayed in that area for 20 years. Then I lived half the year in La Veta and half the year up here on the Guest Ranch family owns. Five years ago I moved to Jackson, just over a dozen miles from the home I enjoyed as a boy and young man.

I70 is !@#$. I hardly ever went north of it unless headed up to Wyoming. US 24 West out of The Springs can sometimes be a !@#$ if you're a mensa reject and drive it at precisely the wrong time, but it's a relatively short shot to Breckenridge and Buena "Buhney" Vista, and not much farther to what I think is the coolest town in the Rockies, Salida. And HWY 115 almost always took me quite quickly to what I know to be the glory of Colorado, the Sangres. La Veta is just 90 minutes from the Springs away 45 miles SW of Pueblo.

Remember most of the roads here in the west can and will shutdown for long periods of time because of response times for accidents.

Kimbur,

As much as I hate I70 Denver has come into its own as a VERY fine city. After the Rockies came with Coors field Lodo was seriousy enovated, lots of awesome restaurants, shops of all kinds, etc. Denver is also has an aamzing music scene now, lots of venues.

I don't think Fort Collins has nearly the outdoor recreational variety and quality The Springs has and I'm of the serious bias the best of Colorado is south of HWY 50. However, I think Fort Collins might be the best small city in the time zone and there is great stuff like the Zirkel, etc. The Springs is big city now. It was a third the size it is now when I got there in the earliest 80s.

I was out in Colorado in August of last year. Spent a few days in Buena Vista before starting a 3 day trail race that went through Leadville and up over Hope Pass. Buena vista was awesome, we got to hit a few trails there before the race. After the race we drove west through Durango. (Loved Durango but don't think there is enough employment opportunities for me there). went on to Mesa Verde and spent a couple days seeing the ruins. From there to Great Sand Dunes NP and then headed back to Denver to return home.

I live in South Florida. It's flat, hot and humid. I want to be able to get away to mountains or at least some decent trails every weekend. I'm an RN, but I work in home care, and specialize in long term wounds. So I need a city with a big enough population of medicare people to support my work. But small enough to not be cost prohibitive.

Culture? I don't party and I'm not a nightclub type. Occasional movie or play or something. But mostly and outdoor person. Here in FL it was diving, most every weekend and running. Have done marathons and ultras. But now have turned to backpacking.

Kimbur,

I agree that Salida is one of the finest towns out there, and then the fact that it's situated where it is just makes it over the top awesome. I lived there for 6 months and just could not explore all the great places around Salida. I loved Leadville also. I kind of see your point about south of Hwy 50 but in reality, after spending 3 1/2 years in The Fort for college, there is so much outdoor access so close. Cameron Pass, Rawah Wilderness, northern Rocky Mtn NP (away from the crowds), Cache la Poudre River, Medicine Bow Mtns, Comanche Peaks Wilderness, Neota Wilderness, Cache la Poudre Wilderness, North Park, Horsetooth Park, and on and on.

Never heard the Masshole term. I love it.

I'm 34, born and raised in Atlanta, until I moved to Tampa at 18. I moved back back to Atlanta in 2008 because I couldn't stand the heat and humidity. It wasn't much better in GA, so after a trip out to Edwards/Avon in 2005, we finally made it out to CO permanently, in 2012. We've been living in Fruita/ Grand Junction for almost three years now. I absolutely love this area; small town, friendly people and we're surrounded in every direction with outdoor activities and amazing scenery. The weather out here's great too, a lot of sun with extremely low humidity.

If you're thinking of making a change in your life, do it sooner rather than later. You won't regret it. Moving out west is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Colorado and Utah are awesome.

Last edited:
I made the move to Steamboat Spgs CO when I was 21, in 1974 from..... (yes another Masshole) Mass. Came out for the skiing but realized there was so much more. 3 wilderness areas surround us. Flattops, Zirkel and Sarvis Creek. Dinosaur NP is 2 hrs and all the good stuff in southern Utah is 4 to 10 hrs drive. Whitewater opportunities are endless with the N Platte, Colorado, Yampa and Green (also Lodore + Yampa thru Dinosaur) nearby. Oh ya, there's also a major ski area here and 2 passes above 10,000ft for backcountry skiing. Population approx 12,000. 3 hrs to Denver. Other than that, not much reason to choose a place like this.
Every time I visit back east to see family, I realize how sweet it really is out here. All I need now is a little place on the beach in the Yucatan for part of the winter. (I can dream, can't I?)
Make the move!!!!

Fool,

I know Northern Colorado can be anybody else's Nirvana. I know it some, and there undeniable glories indeed. Most of us ultimately revere what we come to appreciate most. I have a friend in West Virginia that's done serious climbing here in the West and abroad. There's no way anyone will ever convince him West by God isn't the most beautiful place on earth. I went kayaking there as a boy and did extended visits for a couple years 15 years ago. It is unequivocally exquisite, perhaps the most mis-stereotyped place I've ever been and populace I've ever known.

I'm a proud Masshole, New Hampshuh would be broke without the Bay State and all those Red States without major natural resources taking more per capita from the treasury than they put in need places like Massachusetts to pick up their slack . Massholes have the greatest out of state presence in this valley going back way more than my 52 years. There's a sports bar here that plays all the games from The Hub before anywhere else's. When we are despised its generally a factor of ignorance, jealously, or deceitful smuckitude. Did I tell you I was a Masshole? Heeh. Heeh. If you don't have a sense of humor you must be...sad.

I hope you can forgive me, got off early and had company barley pops. I'm ornery. Thank gawd for the Start Bus.

I wouldn't be here if it were not for nurses so I want Kimbur to get all her questions answered here. Forget Albuquerque since crime was a concern. Our hospital here in Jackson needs RN's all the time and it is really growing, St. John's in Jackson, WY. I really like Tucson, could have easily ended up there. Chiricahua rock!

Pueblo, CO has come a long way last 30 years. Great historic district, an hour to the wonders of Westcliffe and the sensational Sangres. Nearby places like Picketwire Canyonlands and Apishapa State Wildlife Area will blow your scrubs off.

I never was a huge fan of Santa Fe but most women I've known are.

The Bozone?

I have a friend in West Virginia that's done serious climbing here in the West and abroad. There's no way anyone will ever convince him West by God isn't the most beautiful place on earth. I went kayaking there as a boy and did extended visits for a couple years 15 years ago. It is unequivocally exquisite, perhaps the most mis-stereotyped place I've ever been and populace I've ever known.

West Virginia does get a bad rap. I've rafted, camped and climbed there and it's a world class experience. Beautiful place.

Moving to Island Park, Idaho as soon as I complete building...... within a short days drive to anywhere neat, out of the big city.... :dance: