How far do you drive?

How far do you drive?

• Total voters
so jealous!! but couldn't stand the winters
Lol..... Winter's are great, love snow and cold. Get -30 for about a week at most. Not as much snow at house this year....only 5 ft on the snow stick. Last year was 7 1/2 ft.

Last edited:
Where I can go and do go are two different things. I live just north of Birmingham, AL, and will occasionally hike in east or north AL, but my favorite trails are 2.5-4hrs away, mostly in Tennessee. That's how far I'll typically drive late fall through spring, just for an overnighter. Whether the hike is 9 miles round trip or 27 is immaterial to me, as long as I see the things I want to see.
I don't hike as much in summer, head north a lot less often, and mostly dayhike at places <1-1.5hr away.
For vacations, I'm either flying out West, or driving further than time allows on my "weekends".

Our drive time to Bridger Range day hikes is zero. Just head out the door. The Gallatin and Madison Ranges are about 30 minutes to an hour depending on which trailhead and Absraroka-Beartooth is about 40 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, again dependent on start location. The Tobacco Root Mountains are about 30 minutes. All sorts of other options within 2 hours, including a lot of Yellowstone.

Our drive time to Bridger Range day hikes is zero. Just head out the door. The Gallatin and Madison Ranges are about 30 minutes to an hour depending on which trailhead and Absraroka-Beartooth is about 40 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, again dependent on start location. The Tobacco Root Mountains are about 30 minutes. All sorts of other options within 2 hours, including a lot of Yellowstone.

^winning

Lol..... Winter's are great, love snow and cold. Get -30 for about a week at most. Not as much snow at house this year....only 5 ft on the snow stick. Last year was 7 1/2 ft.

I love the extra cold winters. was so disappointed last January when it never got below zero when I was in Yellowstone. I hope this winter ski trip I have super cold temperatures. I just love the cold and snow.

I think most of my trips range from 2.5 to 7 hours. 2.5 - 3 is the closest to me.
I prefer driving and would go much longer lengths, like for BCP Fest! But there are so many cool things in CA I don't feel like I HAVE to drive that far away yet. Although there are a lot of places I want to visit in other states too :)

For a good run of about 5 summers my wife and I would take August/September off and drive out to and around the West. I love driving/road trips, although the first two days are tough after you do them 5+ times. So, as far as I need to.

But mostly these days 2-3 hours to get the Catskills, 7+ to get to anything remotely alpine(ADK/Whites). Very envious of those that live in MT/WY/CO/UT. I could spend every vacation there and never tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my annual hiking vacation: 20 or 45 minutes to an airport assuming minimal traffic (we have 2 airports in Houston), then usually 2-5 hours of driving to my final destination after I land.

For "local" stuff: about 2.5-3 hours to reach the Hill Country west of Austin

I'm near New Castle, Colorado, so the desert (Moab, Green River) is a couple of hours away (even closer are places like the Dolores Triangle), and I can literally walk out my door and be on the flanks of the Flattops Wilderness Area. What's neat is I live at the exact geologic boundary between the Colorado Plateau and the Rocky Mountain provinces, which is the Grand Hogback. I live IN the Grand Hogback (well, not literally, but close, in a tight canyon that cuts through it).

Last edited:
Now I can't answer the poll for I do NOT drive period! I have given up driving years and years ago where I have not driven onebit. There was an accident but I was left unhurt, so I gave up driving and gave away the vehicle. My last vehicle was a Subaru and I gave it away in the year 2000 and still driveable. A few years later I got rid of my driver's license period and went to a Wyoming ID for then I could NOT drive period. Have not looked back ever since but loved this decision!

For years when I travel it is by foot, bike, or public transportation! And now thru the years I have come to actually strongly detest vehicles and love it when I go places without any vehicles whatsoever! I have a good mountain bike which I bought in the year 2000 also which in the area here where I live gets me everywhere where I need to go. I Absolutely Love Love Love NOT having a vehicle with all the expenses involved. Think about it, how expensive in reality is it in owning a vehicle. Plus one cannot drive a car in the real wilderness way back somewhere in the deep wilds. Here in Jackson, Wy. I can walk out of town into the deep wilds that is here in NW Wyoming and disappear for weeks or even months at a time if I do desire. Plus I also do Not own a cellphone / IPhone or whatever you want to call it. I do Not have a Facebook page and live without. I live a pretty simple life and love it! A couple of my best friends are just like me and we all live without a car or driving. In fact one of my friends has never driven and has never even had a driver's license. But all of us love our bikes and travel constantly. I would strongly advocate to everyone, Get Rid of Your Cars and Live The Simple Life and I Betcha You Will Absolutely Love It! Again Give Up Your Car and Go without. ... Go by Foot or Bike!

Wishing Everyone the Best!

Last edited:
Now I can't answer the poll for I do NOT drive period! I have given up driving years and years ago where I have not driven onebit. There was an accident but I was left unhurt, so I gave up driving and gave away the vehicle. My last vehicle was a Subaru and I gave it away in the year 2000 and still driveable. A few years later I got rid of my driver's license period and went to a Wyoming ID for then I could NOT drive period. Have not looked back ever since but loved this decision!

For years when I travel it is by foot, bike, or public transportation! And now thru the years I have come to actually strongly detest vehicles and love it when I go places without any vehicles whatsoever! I have a good mountain bike which I bought in the year 2000 also which in the area here where I live gets me everywhere where I need to go. I Absolutely Love Love Love NOT having a vehicle with all the expenses involved. Think about it, how expensive in reality is it in owning a vehicle. Plus one cannot drive a car in the real wilderness way back somewhere in the deep wilds. Here in Jackson, Wy. I can walk out of town into the deep wilds that is here in NW Wyoming and disappear for weeks or even months at a time if I do desire. Plus I also do Not own a cellphone / IPhone or whatever you want to call it. I do Not have a Facebook page and live without. I live a pretty simple life and love it! A couple of my best friends are just like me and we all live without a car or driving. In fact one of my friends has never driven and has never even had a driver's license. But all of us love our bikes and travel constantly. I would strongly advocate to everyone, Get Rid of Your Cars and Live The Simple Life and I Betcha You Will Absolutely Love It! Again Give Up Your Car and Go without. ... Go by Foot or Bike!

Wishing Everyone the Best!

You sound like Mr. Money Mustache!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now Nethos, who is Mr. Money Mustache? Never have heard of him.

Nethos, Hi There! Now I loved that article by Mr. Money Mustache. Do Agree with him! Now will have to do some more wandering around on that website and see what he said. So Thanks and Wishing You The Best!

Zionsky, Thanks for the compliment. Life offers sooooo much to each and everyone of us! Wishing You the Best!

I would gladly get rid of my vehicle if I could teach my dogs how to ride bikes. They're pretty good at hitching, though, so maybe we'd be OK.