How do you...

as

...protect camera from sand in the desert? I had been using a shock/waterproof camera before, but now got a micro four thirds camera.

A few regular P&S cameras I had before did not survive desert for very long (usually lens zoom would get stuck). I am not talking canyoneering type use, but something like backpacking. Thanks!

I think all you can really do is keep it in some sort of case and keep that case from rolling around in the sand. I've killed off point and shoots from leaving the case on my backpack waist belt and then sitting in sand. But I've also packed an SLR through the desert for years with no major issues. For a while, I carried it on a black rapid strap with no protection from the elements. Windy trips definitely took their toll. More recently, I use a Clik Access chest pack which keeps it nicely protected but stilla accesible. It's also a lot lighter and lower profile than most chest packs. It fits full SLRs but I think I'm going to use it with micro 4/3 as well. I just picked up a Panasonic G5 and I think it plus an extra lens will fit nicely and still stay pretty snug to my body.

Pelican case attached to pack for easy/quick access for the P&S camera or cell phone. Have killed off several camera's and video cameras with sand and grit getting into them.

x2 on the Pelican cases. I use one for my P&S in canyons. I'm not sure about one big enough for a micro four thirds though. Either way, make sure you keep the seal clean and in good condition.

only use cameras that don't have servo motors... sand kills those things. find a camera that has manual zoom lenses, and you'll be golden.

Back