How Do You Carry Your Camera While Backpacking?

I hadn't seen the strap shot before but seems like the fact that the PD capture/capture pro uses a tripod plate as its mount is a huge advantage? Am I missing something? Like I can take off my camera and have it mounted in seconds without any other parts. Kinda hard to tell exactly how it works so I might be wrong. I agree though that the strapless, firm mount to a shoulder strap or hip belt solution is hard to beat for scrambling and hiking.

Great point, Brendan. The Strapshot folks make a unit that allows the camera to attach to the holster on your pack strap and be immediately tripod ready as well, but it's a metal piece that's about 3 inches long and of variable thickness and where I'm already carrying the D810 (which is a big camera) and both my lenses are big the noticeable weight different to me was worth not using that (even though I bought one to explore the possibility of easier "Strapshot to tripod conversion". Really, for me it's not that big a problem. My tripod shooting is generally all in the morning, evening, or nighttime hours, and I just take the little metal piece off the bottom of my camera that lets it attach to the holster and screw the quick plate from my tripod into my camera when it gets to evening time and I want to do some serious work; I also take the Strapshot piece off when I go to bed so I'm ready for the sunrise opportunities when I'm up early in the morning. For me it works; it's simple to make the change - it's just that changing it from the strap attachment to the tripod quick plate is the most inconvenient part of a very otherwise convenient and solid system. For me the benefits far outweigh the issues, which is why I've been using it on just about all my trips now. :)

It might be worth getting that other unit if you haven't already got the Strapshot stuff. I can't speak for the Capture's efficacy as I've never used it, but it does have an ARCA-compatible plate set up right in it, which Cotton Carrier's stuff doesn't have. I'm not seeing an additional tether that secures the camera to anything beyond the clip itself (which the Strapshot does have but the Capture appears not to have from looking at their website). The extra tether has saved my DSLR from a drop to the ground at least once, so it's absence is a big deal to me.

I have a PD capture pro and have really enjoyed using it. It is very effective and the ARCA plate makes it easy to set on a tripod as well. Because I'm paranoid of my camera falling, I also wear my camera's neck strap for backup, however the capture hasn't failed me yet.

+1 for the Peak Design Capture Pro. Have used it for many miles and have no complaints. As has been said already, the plate is ARCA style and makes things even quicker.

Better still, Peak are having another Kickstarter campaign right now launching updated and refined versions of their classics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great solutions in this thread.

When I bring my interchangeable-lens camera along, it usually just rides in the top compartment of my backpack -- to do that, just look for a small, padded bag not much larger than the camera, with possibly a second one for extra lenses. I go hiking mostly just to be outdoors, and taking pictures is secondary ... so if I want a quick shot I just use the iPhone, and if I want to work on a shot more I figure it's worth the time to stop.

I'm happier not carrying the camera out all the time. Besides, there are a million good outdoor photographers out there, and at least 950,000 of them are better than me! :)

I have a PD capture pro and have really enjoyed using it. It is very effective and the ARCA plate makes it easy to set on a tripod as well. Because I'm paranoid of my camera falling, I also wear my camera's neck strap for backup, however the capture hasn't failed me yet.

That looks like a simple, reliable solution. Thanks for that.

I have a basic camera bag similar to this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0112U1N5C/?tag=backcountrypo-20). I mostly use it when backpacking. I put the pack on first and then the camera bag goes over my right shoulder and I thread my left arm through the strap (picture a woman with a purse across her body). The camera doesn't bounce, I can carry a couple filters and intervalometer, and I have easy access to the camera while I'm hiking. If I'm climbing up something, I zip it closed, but most of the time I leave it unzipped. This setup works great for a Nikon D5100 and a 18-105 lens.

If you get a "real" camera, try the cheap carry option before you splash out on something fancy :)

I use an Op-Tech Stabilizer Strap to keep my camera accessible without bouncing around.
stab-strap-use.jpg

I also bought a few of their Reporter/Backpack Connectors so I can clip the camera to the front of whichever backpack I happen to be wearing.

ReporterBackpack2.jpg

This combination is a cheap and easy way to keep my camera at the ready at all times. I also like that I don't have the weight of the camera hanging from my neck anymore.:)

I use an Op-Tech Stabilizer Strap to keep my camera accessible without bouncing around.
stab-strap-use.jpg

I also bought a few of their Reporter/Backpack Connectors so I can clip the camera to the front of whichever backpack I happen to be wearing.

ReporterBackpack2.jpg

This combination is a cheap and easy way to keep my camera at the ready at all times. I also like that I don't have the weight of the camera hanging from my neck anymore.:)

I like that! I'll check it out. Thanks.

How does it attach to your waist strap? Loops?

There is a velcro strap on the back of the case. It worked well -- it has a double velcro tab (not sure how to explain exactly, but a second little velcro tab goes over the strap to provide double velcro redundancy). Anyway, it seems quite secure.

I carried it for about 20 miles this weekend. Worked great. I was able to use the rear strap to attach it to the outside of my pack when I didn't want it handy, and to my waist when I did. Easy to access the camera while walking when on my waist. When on my waist, it bumped on my thigh a little bit when climbing up steep stuff (I was in canyonlands, so a few things to climb over). Nicely padded so I didn't worry about the camera when out of sight on or in my pack.

The large fits my a6000 nicely. It was only $30 at Backcountry.com, and they are in the midst of their 20% off sale right now.

Last edited:
As an update to my posts on this thread, after doing my own research I've purchased the Peak Design system and ordered both their CapturePro clip and their CaptureLens unit. The built-in tripod compatibility with the CapturePro and the ability to carry lenses accessibly and access/change them easily with one hand as needed (even while on the go without having to take off my pack or swing it around on one shoulder) with the CaptureLens solves problems I've had since taking my DSLR unit into the wilderness for the first time. So, thanks to whoever it was earlier in this thread that introduced that tech to the discussion; the units are scheduled for delivery today. Excited to test them out. :)

I'll post some additional detail here soon if there's any additional impressions of actually using the stuff beyond the immediately obvious.

I'm a little late to the party since you already bought something, but for future reference I use this neoprene camera case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9YWB4K/?tag=backcountrypo-20

The camera goes in, I clip the carabiner to my camera strap, then sling it diagonally across my body so it's resting on my hip. It's easy to take the camera out quickly one-handed, and it's enough protection to both prevent grit from accumulating in my lens when I'm hiking though sand and to prevent scraping my camera when I'm scrambling. The only downside is that the case needs to be just a little bit longer to fit my current lens (Canon 24-105mm) and close fully, so I need to add a secondary velcro strip to keep it from tugging open.

Not sure if you are still researching, @Cuberant ...

Once I went digital I started carrying my camera religiously in front of me and handy. That enabled me to take a lot of pictures and that made all the difference in the world.

I have recently started shooting a DSLR but do not carry it climbing or backpacking and one of the reasons I do not is because it is bulky and gets in the way, visually, when I need to glance down and see my feet or where I hope to put them. A big bulk on my chest gets in the way. As does my beer gut when I let it get away from me...
So, I carry my DSLR on day hikes on a Capture Pro that has been mentioned here because Nick turned me on to it and it works brilliantly. I get many of my best gear ideas from @Nick actually.

Now for backpacking and climbing. For the first decade I carried a LowePro small camera case on a length of 1" tubular webbing tied into a sling. It worked brilliantly and was easy on and off. It was handy, simple and inexpensive.

My BFF Merlin and I on a trailless crossing of Sid's Mountain using my old setup.

publishSmWr-1-4.jpg

But this method was a little rattly. It tended to swing out on a steep pitch or wall and then get in the way of my feet and footholds. Then it would rap against me when I stood up or as I moved side to side. These are problems on a wall or a place with big exposure. Unfortunately it was also too small when I then upgraded my tech to a M4/3 camera shooting in RAW about 8 years ago.

So I purchased a Clik Access, after I purchased, and quickly shelved a Clik Elite. I did extensive research on both (I called @Nick). The Clik Elite was way too bulky and blocked my view down. The Clik Access does not and I use it to this day. It is narrow in the direction I need - forward, it is elastic in being made from neoprene like material it pulls itself in to my chest. It is handy - I can pull out my camera one-handed and shoot even while I am walking. It is light and wasn't terribly expensive. Unfortunately it seems like Clik has moved away from this product line and no longer make either. But you may be able to find them in the surplus or used market. For instance I have two different sized Elites that are free to a good home. My Access you will have to pry out of my cold dead hands.

Sorry to give a positive review of a product no longer in manufacturing and even though they may be hard to find my appreciation of the Clik Access is due to those qualities I described - not rattly, not bulky and doesn't block my view down at my clumsy feet, light, relatively inexpensive and handy. Being ready to shoot and shooting a lot are enabling philosophies for my photography. If your camera is in your pack you will take 1/10 of the photos, in my experience. So if you can meet these usability goals in another method than that should suffice. The only way better is to use the Nate Geeseman method of carrying it in your hand - the entire way, or the @ wanderlusg method - carry it attached to your tripod in youe hand most of the way. Maybe that is why they take better photos than I do?

My Clik Access on my chest in some random, forgotten slot...

publishSmWr-1-8.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up going with a Cotton Carrier StrapShot. So far I really like it. Here's a screen grab from an iPhone video of my first time out on the trail with the RX10...

vs180127-002-2.jpg

I'm still getting used to carrying an extra two pounds in addition to my iPhone and gimbal (its in the black DYI nylon bag on the left hanging on the caribiner) but so far okay. It has a strap above that anchors behind you over your shoulder along your pack strap which helps offset the forward weight. The camera sits off to one side so I have pretty good visibility of the trail in front of me. I was worried it was going to bounce around but it is surprisingly stable. East to unhook with one hand. It also has a safety strap just in case I get careless. So far I really like it. The only time I was tempted to put in my pack was on this trip where I ended up bushwhacking through the scrub oak and I was worried about scratching the gear. Other than that time I've been very comfortable with it there.

I ended up going with a Cotton Carrier StrapShot. So far I really like it. Here's a screen grab from an iPhone video of my first time out on the trail with the RX10...

View attachment 61344

I'm still getting used to carrying an extra two pounds in addition to my iPhone and gimbal (its in the black DYI nylon bag on the left hanging on the caribiner) but so far okay. It has a strap above that anchors behind you over your shoulder along your pack strap which helps offset the forward weight. The camera sits off to one side so I have pretty good visibility of the trail in front of me. I was worried it was going to bounce around but it is surprisingly stable. East to unhook with one hand. It also has a safety strap just in case I get careless. So far I really like it. The only time I was tempted to put in my pack was on this trip where I ended up bushwhacking through the scrub oak and I was worried about scratching the gear. Other than that time I've been very comfortable with it there.
Nice setup. Is that your new-ish camera? Are you shooting in RAW and have you posted anything from it yet?

It is! I've begun doing more in RAW, editing with LR. Still learning about all this but I'm getting there. The eagle pictures were jpegs though. In order to get close enough I shot in one of the scene modes that takes three exposures and takes the best of the three (I think that's how it works). I was shooting from my truck using a window mount hoping to hold still enough to get a good shot at that distance with the low light... and snow. I had to use a scene mode to enable digital zoom. If I shoot in one of the manual modes, AP, SP or full manual the digital zoom is disabled. (Of course its *highly* likely I just don't know what I'm doing :/ ).

Here's a RAW from the other day on a drive with my grandson. I was amazed at how much detail of the horse I was able to bring out with such a bright background...

DSC01028.jpg

I had to use a scene mode to enable digital zoom. If I shoot in one of the manual modes, AP, SP or full manual the digital zoom is disabled. (Of course its *highly* likely I just don't know what I'm doing :/ ).

Don't sweat using digital zoom. Just stay in optical zoom mode. And don't shoot in an auto scene mode IMO. The zooming you can't get from your lens you can do better in cropping and zooming in post process. And the scene modes dumb down your shot to "macros" or settings the camera engineers decided were best. Instead, rely on your post processing of your raw images. Many of us shoot in aperture priority and I think for landscape photographers it is probably best. Instead of taking three at once in the mode where they decide which is best. Take your own three. Even better use automated bracketing that takes three in a row in various exposures and you pick the best one. I used to that more often but found that the camera meter almost always picked the right settings and the middle exposure of a three shot bracket was the best anyway. The RAW format gives you SO much latitude in post and you just saw how much detail there was in the horse's mane even with a strong backlit. Try the shadows slider in LR and the dehaze control slider is a thing of beauty. Enjoy! Nice pic.

Here's a RAW from the other day on a drive with my grandson. I was amazed at how much detail of the horse I was able to bring out with such a bright background...

And the beauty of shooting RAW coupled with a great sensor and lens is revealed!

Man am I waaaay late on this one...I use the Clik Elite SLR Chest pack which holds my DSLR with attached 28-108 plus my 18-36 under my DSLR...Heavy duty and well made...Works well for hiking/backpacking and some scrambling....Can't climb with it as it obviously sticks out too far...I carry my 100-400 in my daypack/backpack..

Attachments

• Clik Elite Large SLR Chest Pack.jpg
    Clik Elite Large SLR Chest Pack.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 53