How close have you been to a wild animal that could eat your lunch (marmots don't count)?

On a very windy November morning on our way up Lone Peak, my friend and I had a headlamp stare down with a cougar and her cub. She kept moving her head to try and look at us- I assume, but the cub could have cared less. It kept cat-rubbing on the mom and only looked at us once before the mom casually blinked her eyes and succinctly pinned the cub to the ground with her paw. Until the cub's cat-rubbing exchange with the mom I dealt with the situation in my brain by denying it was a cougar and must surely have been an old muley with nice, white cheeks...

We laid down a lot of trail in a short time afterwards (adrenaline charged) in almost total silence, and it was not until over an hour later when we sat down to take cover from the wind and to eat breakfast that I finally was able to let out a nervous laugh and say "Niiiice kitty..."

Mom Moose and baby outside of Denali. At the time I did not know of their reputations so I wasn't scared. I think what saved me that day was a ditch in between us and she was probably very acclimatized to people given the area. When I think about that experience I just shake my head at how lucky/stupid I was :)

On the AT in NJ I walked under a tree with a bear in it, I assume it was gathering nuts. About a minute later I run into a southbound thru-hiker and I stop to chat. After a moment, we looked up and realized there were two cubs in the tree above us. We both took pics and got the hell out of there. I warned him about mom in the tree up ahead, I assume he walked quickly through the area.

In Big South Fork (KY/TN border) I was hiking in a drizzle with my head down when I heard a growl/huff that almost scared the shit out of me. I looked up and there were two black bears about 25 feet away, one immediately headed down the hill and the other one stood up to figure out what I was. That freaked me out even more. I yelled and waved my hands and he decided to follow his brother down the hill. My heart finally slowed down about a half hour later.

I've seen lots of bears in the smokies, but they always run, mostly just see their rears as they shoot down the hill.

Lots of alligators growing up in SW FL, the golf courses are full of them. Closest I ever got was about 3 feet, but that was from a boardwalk above him :)

I kicked a Mt. Lion in the Belly in Huerfano County once.

In Southern Abaroka large Boar Grizzly cahrged me and I sprayed him. He ground his head into the ground, rolled up just under 6' in front of me, turned and ran away.

Lion was on a friend's dog. I was actually trying to kick it in the head. I think it was a year or year and half old at best. Definitely my friend's fault for not training the dog properly. Both survived although the dog was never quite the same in a good way.

Wow, very gutsy of you and amazing the dog even survived! We had a lion grab a kid in his back yard here in the Roaring Fork Valley last summer. His mom did the same thing until the lion dropped him, but I don't think he was seriously hurt. They later killed the lion as it lounged about nearby.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Sawyer minis close out General Discussion 8
Bob Close to Spring day ...... General Discussion 3
The Trout Whisperer A Lil’ overnighter close to home Late Jan 2021 Backpacking 2
J Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021 Backpacking 2
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
K 38 Years Ago Today ... Close Grizzly Bear Encounter in Wyoming's Teton Wild. Everything Else 2
Rockskipper Close Calls General Discussion 46
MTNgoat OHV tails close to lakes Trip Planning 1
TractorDoc Album Up Close and Personal -- Photos Focused on the Details Photography 190
kwc Short Hike Close to Home June 2018 Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
JimmyW Blackhall Meadows - Nice Hike Close to Town Hiking & Camping 0
balzaccom How close is too close? General Discussion 17
IntrepidXJ BLM, National Park Service close public lands due to trespassing cattle dispute General Discussion 4
Nick Easy campsite very close to Moab General Discussion 4
dennargle Close Encounters With Nature General Discussion 9
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
priz1234 Been here for awhile already Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Ben How many days have you been alone General Discussion 26
satisfied Been away for for a while, I hope I'm Back Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
D Anyone been to Tatahatso Point, Navajo Nation Trip Planning 1
A Anyone been to Death hollow/ escalante recently? Trip Planning 2
climbhigh1119 Anybody been over the pass between Bowback and Sundance mountains in the Beartooths? Trip Planning 2
M Anyone Been on the HITR Road lately? Any Springs flowing? Trip Planning 1
balzaccom who's been naughty? General Discussion 0
M Anyone been down around Cedar Mesa lately? Trip Planning 5
Laura Anyone know if the rockfall on HWY 89 out of Page has been cleared yet? General Discussion 6
J Anyone been through Death Hollow recently? Trip Planning 25
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
forest dweller Invite First 2 weeks of August, open to anywhere wild and beautiful, western US or Canada, hell, Yukon or Alaska even! Meet Up (Members Only) 10
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
zionsky Why you should not approach wild animals General Discussion 3
WoodyBR549 Wild Basin Trip Planning 2
DrNed Wild Zora Foods Gear 0
regehr Little Wild Horse fatalaties Monday General Discussion 12
Wanderlust073 Album BCP Swag in the Wild Photography 51
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
J Wild Las Vegas, naturally. Sampler, 3 different dayhikes Nov 17, 19, 20 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
regehr these cows are not wild and they are not yours Photography 7
Rockskipper Surviving In The Wild: Can Your Photo Gear Save Your Life? Photography 1
RyanP Little Wild Horse tips for this weekend? Deep cold water in canyon? Trip Planning 5
Rockskipper Wild Horse Butte, Wyoming Hiking & Camping 1
ashleyoutside Slot Canyon Hiking – Little Wild Horse Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Jon Carbaugh Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 7
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
DrNed Biking The Little Wild Horse Road Everything Else 1
IntrepidXJ Little Wild Horse Canyon & Bell Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
DrNed Little Wild Horse Road Trip Planning 13
Scott Chandler A Return to Desert: Little Wild Horse Hiking & Camping 7
Red Rock Rangers Let the wild rumpus start! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Scott Chandler "Weekending" in Rocky Mountain NP's Wild Basin Backpacking 1