Houseboaters leave burned out mess in Labyrinth Canyon

Simply:
As for me, I'm going to die someday, and I want to be sure that I "suck out all the marrow of life" before I do.

Here's where I draw the line: if I don't like it, I don't do it. If you want to save it, please do.

I have zero faith that this planet can be saved, though.

And I don't waste my time on hopeless battles.

While I respect people who do fight to fix problems, I feel that many people just like to complain about problems without taking the effort to do anything about them. I don't respect that. Please don't think I'm accusing you of that...I'm just pointing out the difference between people who feel strongly enough about it to do something and those who only feel strongly enough about it to complain.

As for me, I don't feel anything about it. I'm way too pessimistic about mankind and its ability to destroy everything it touches. The planet is going to die no matter what I do about it.

It's important to also note that I'm not trying to convert anyone to my thinking. Should we just let it die? I am not at all advocating that people shouldn't try to save the places. Save the places. Have faith in mankind. Fight. Change. But my personal philosophical difference makes that a hopeless battle for me.

My brief $.02. :moses:
Back when we started visiting the Hole in the Rock area it was a place that you could loose yourself, anywhere, anytime. The only issues were locals who did not like hippies, but that is a different discussion. By the early 80's we felt the place was getting too crowded. More trash. More people. More cars. Less solitude.
Then we moved east and a little south to the Grand Gulch area. Heaven! Pick your canyon and disappear. Be by yourself and not see anyone until you wanted to. Then it too got popular, and crowded.
Have I forgotten these places? NO! I remember them the way we first found them.
Have I given up trying to protect these places, even though it is getting increasingly difficult to do so? NO! I give my money and energy to various groups that are dedicated to saving these sacred areas.
Giving up and saying fuck it, the place is trashed so I will move on, is certainly your right. Pretty selfish, but your right.
I believe in sending positive energy out into the universe, via my thoughts or actions (pretty corny, I know, but I can't help it). I am working on eliminating my negative vibes but that will be close to impossible, but I am working on it! I'd like to believe that someone looking at a photograph of a ruin in Grand Gulch will at least cause them to think about these places. This can be a powerful thing.
So this is how I try to contribute to saving these areas, maybe it will eventually be successful, maybe not. At least we tried.

The earth does not NEED to be saved, if you really think about it.
It is humanity we need to save, via keeping our environment healthy. The earth will eventually recover from whatever we do to it, and move on.

Last edited:
I believe in sending positive energy out into the universe, via my thoughts or actions (pretty corny, I know, but I can't help it) I'd like to believe that someone looking at a photograph of a ruin in Grand Gulch will at least cause them to think about these places. This can be a powerful thing.
So this is how I try to contribute to saving these areas, maybe it will eventually be successful, maybe not. At least we tried.
If that's all it takes to save humanity then I guess I'm doing that much, too. Maybe I'm not as selfish as I thought I was.

If that's all it takes to save humanity then I guess I'm doing that much, too. Maybe I'm not as selfish as I thought I was.

It's never that easy. But it's a good start.

Then we moved east and a little south to the Grand Gulch area. Heaven! Pick your canyon and disappear. Be by yourself and not see anyone until you wanted to. Then it too got popular, and crowded.

They say that there were potsherds and lithics so thick you could not step anywhere without stepping on them in the earlier days, even after the pot hunters had ravaged the place in Grand Gulch.

That is why I never talk about some of the places that we have found with the sherds so thick you still can't step without waking across them, lithics, beads and bones of the ancients are right there in situ coming up out of pithouses, a much better place than someone's coffee can. A mindful author helped to influence me with his and his friend's ideas of the "living, outdoor museum". I'm even careful showing images with any kind of background as there are those who can sleuth out geography very easily.

If we preserve them for nothing more than ourselves so we can keep enjoying them right now and for our years to come then we are preserving them for future explorers too. So we can still get our kicks and do a fine thing at the same time with no complicated agendas. :D

For some reason boaters seem to be the worst stewards of the land of any recreation group. I visit family in Eastern KY every year and I'm always shocked at just how nasty the reservoirs are there. Giant flotillas of trash seems to be the norm in just about every cove. Looks like Lake Powell is following suit. A lot of other user groups (climbers, hikers, mt. bikers, canyoneers, atv'ers) do a much better job policing their own. Maybe it comes down to those groups all having fought and lost access to areas. To the best of my knowledge that has never happened to motor boaters. Maybe it's time for the NPS to start threatening closure to areas and hopefully the good boaters will take a stand.*

*Hard to do towards a bunch of 22 year old drunks though.

I won't pretend to think it will suddenly fix things, but this is at least a step in the right direction.

http://www.nps.gov/glca/learn/news/help-glen-canyon-look-its-birthday-best-in-2016-and-beyond.htm

Help Glen Canyon Look its Birthday Best in 2016 and Beyond

tt-cleaning-scenic-2015.jpg

You don't have to be a Trash Tracker to do you part in keeping Lake Powell clean - everyone can help!
NPS Photo/ Trash Trackers

News Release Date: March 4, 2016

The National Park Service invites you to help Keep Glen Canyon Clean and looking its birthday best for the National Park Service Centennial in 2016. A community and partner collaboration to improve resource conditions at Lake Powell will be underway throughout 2016.

Breathtaking scenery and spectacular recreation are what Lake Powell is all about. However, park neighbors, including local photographer and author Gary Ladd, have noted that the Lake Powell experience is all too often marred by litter, human waste, graffiti, fireworks, serious injury and even death. Enough is enough! With 1 ¼ million acres and 2 ½ million annual visitors, park rangers at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area are asking for your help.

Please mark your calendar for the first annual Love Your Lake Community Cleanup on Friday, March 18, 2016. Participants will meet at the Wahweap picnic area starting at 9 a.m. Those on foot will be assigned to beaches, and those with boats can access locations throughout the lake. All participants will receive free park admission and launch for the day and a free pass to return and enjoy the park on another day. The event will feature a raffle at 1:30 p.m. with prizes donated by local businesses including Colorado River Discovery, Pepper's Restaurant, RD's Drive-In, and Boston's True Value, with the grand prize being a framed photograph of Lake Powell by Gary Ladd. Snacks will be provided by the Glen Canyon Natural History Association. Please wear closed-toed shoes, and come prepared to get dirty and have fun!Volunteer signup for children and youth groups participating with chaperones other than a parent should be prearranged by calling 928-608-6356, as parental signature is required.

The Know Before You Go public outreach campaign focusing on unsafe and illegal activities is launching for the 2016 boating season. Information will be shared with boaters at all Lake Powell marinas.

Local tour and service providers have signed up to Adopt a Canyon on Lake Powell, including: McNabb Fishing Guide Service, Hidden Canyon Kayak, Lake Powell Paddleboards, Four Corners Adventures, National Outdoor Leadership School, the Wildland Trekking Company, Aspiro, Far Out Expedition, and Zion Adventure Company.As canyon stewards, these companies will remove trash from their canyons throughout 2016.

The Trash Tracker program will be back for a 27th season in 2016. Teams of volunteers will be on the lake picking up trash and educating visitors.The Trash Tracker program is a partnership with Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas.

A Canyon Hosts program slated for later in the summer will expand the National Park Service presence on the lake. Volunteers on houseboats throughout the lake will fly a National Park Service flag, and provide information and assistance, similar to campground hosts.

"Happy Centennial and thanks for doing your part to keep Glen Canyon looking its birthday best," said Acting Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Superintendent Billy Shott. "I hope to see you out at the Love Your Lake Community Cleanup Day, and please help us keep an eye on park resources by participating in Powell Watch."

Thanks for posting Nick. Pretty much every one of my car camping and foot camping experiences is a pick up someone else's trash event. But I will re-commit to doing it even harder. We can spend some of our time on the lake doing it soon if you want.