Horseshoe Canyon

Udink

Still right here.
For my last hiking trip of 2013 I finally got an opportunity to visit Horseshoe Canyon. Alan invited me to come along with him, Wade, Kari, and Travis, the latter two of whom I hadn't met but had heard much about from the others. At 6AM on Saturday Alan and Kari swung by my place and picked me up, then we met Wade and Travis near the UT-24/I-70 junction and they hopped in with us. By about 8:40 we were at the trailhead and started hiking down the old road into Horseshoe Canyon, constructed by Lou and Arth Chaffin (and many others) between 1928 and 1929. During the descent we saw a couple of dinosaur footprints fossilized in the sandstone and a water tank and trough used by ranchers before this area became part of Canyonlands National Park in 1971.

Sun halo at the Horseshoe Canyon trailhead
IMG_0800.JPG

No, no, no, no, no, and yes
IMG_0801.JPG

Walking down the old road into Horseshoe Canyon
IMG_0811.JPG

Dinosaur track
IMG_0820.JPG

Troughs near a water tank
IMG_0823.JPG

Sign on a gate along the trail
IMG_0834.JPG

View up Horseshoe Canyon from the trail
IMG_0838.JPG

Lower part of the old road into Horseshoe Canyon
IMG_0841_stitch.jpg

Just below the final break in the cliffs before we reached the canyon bottom there were some inscriptions in the cliff. Some were apparently recent and had been rubbed out or covered with pine sap, presumably by the Park Service, but some were historic and were left alone. My favorite read "GLO Survey," left by members of a survey team from the General Land Office (predecessor to the BLM). We hit the canyon bottom and sort of fanned out, looking for rock art or inscriptions as we hiked up the canyon. There are four main pictograph panels marked on the USGS topo map, and for which coordinates are easily found on the internet, but we were sure we'd find others. And we did. After only ten minutes after reaching the canyon bottom we encountered a small but nice petroglyph panel.

Two inscriptions: GLO Survey and RTB SLC
IMG_0851.JPG

Bottom of the road in Horseshoe Canyon
IMG_0863.JPG

The first petroglyph site we encountered
IMG_0869.JPG

Petroglyphs
IMG_0872.JPG

We visited the first two main pictograph panels, named High Gallery and Horseshoe Gallery, which were quite close together. The latter was quite large and had a smattering of petroglyphs and grinding marks in boulders, along with many pictographs.

Approaching the High Gallery
IMG_0884.JPG

Ice in Horseshoe Canyon
IMG_0888.JPG

High Gallery
IMG_0896.JPG

Lee Tidwell, Aug. 13, 1928
IMG_0899.JPG

View from the High Gallery across the canyon to Horseshoe Gallery
IMG_0903.JPG

Incised petroglyphs near Horseshoe Gallery
IMG_0906.JPG

Grinding marks
IMG_0920.JPG

Travis, Alan, and Kari at Horseshoe Gallery
IMG_0921.JPG

Hunter waiting in the shadows
IMG_0923.JPG

Elk
IMG_0927.JPG

Stick man--incised then painted figure
IMG_0933.JPG

Horseshoe Gallery
IMG_0947.JPG

Horseshoe Gallery
IMG_0956.JPG

Horseshoe Gallery
IMG_0963.JPG

Beyond Horseshoe Gallery was the place where a pipe hangs down the canyon wall, coming in from the water tank and trough we'd passed during the hike in. There used to be a pump in the canyon where ranchers pumped spring water up to the rim, but not much was left except the pipes and a shutoff valve. The next rock art site we found was a small alcove that contained mostly handprint pictographs. We also, strangely, found a dead bird and a dead bat in the alcove.

Water valve
IMG_0983.JPG

Pipe leading to the canyon rim
IMG_0984.JPG

Grinding marks in an alcove
IMG_0994.JPG

Handprint pictographs
IMG_1004.JPG

Dead bird
IMG_1007.JPG

Dead bat that was near the dead bird
IMG_1017.JPG

Handprint pictographs
IMG_1009.JPG

Next we reached Alcove Gallery. The alcove was enormous and must have made quite a comfortable home, providing shelter from the elements and a nice, sandy floor. There were a lot of pictographs and quite a few more modern inscriptions, some of them right over the top of the rock art. Across the canyon from the alcove I spotted a "CLS" inscription written in a cross. It was undated but looked very old, with white lichen growing over the top of it.

Approaching Alcove Gallery
IMG_1027.JPG

Alcove Gallery
IMG_1032.JPG

Alcove Gallery
IMG_1048.JPG

Bob Vance, 1904
IMG_1055.JPG

View out of the alcove
IMG_1067_stitch.jpg

This CLS inscription was undated but looked quite old
IMG_1088.JPG

On the way to the main attraction, the Great Gallery, I spotted a single pictograph high up on a cliff and found another dinosaur footprint. We also passed a lone hiker on his way out--his was the only vehicle at the trailhead when we'd arrived.

Lone pictograph
IMG_1093.JPG

Dinosaur footprint
IMG_1101.JPG

Alan jumping off a ledge
IMG_1105.JPG

Approaching the Great Gallery
IMG_1107.JPG

The Great Gallery was, well, great! Alan and I spent a great deal of time photographing the individual pictographs while the others sat down for lunch. We spent about 45 minutes there before moving along and heading farther up the canyon.

Great Gallery
IMG_1111.JPG

Great Gallery
IMG_1120.JPG

Great Gallery
IMG_1138.JPG

Great Gallery
IMG_1149.JPG

Great Gallery
IMG_1154.JPG

Fallen rock with pictographs on it
IMG_1166.JPG

Great Gallery
IMG_1159.JPG

Great Gallery
IMG_1172.JPG

Just up-canyon from the Great Gallery is the Deadman's Trail, an old stock trail blasted out of the canyon wall. It was a steep, snowy ascent up the first part until we reached the spot where the trail goes up a steep sandstone ramp to the canyon rim. We only went as far as the top of the canyon rim, but the trail continues to climb and eventually connects to a dirt road after about a mile. After a brief rest at the top, we turned around and headed back down the canyon, passing another solo hiker just north of the Great Gallery. We took a short hike up Water Canyon but didn't find much of interest there.

Starting up the Deadman's Trail
IMG_1200.JPG

Deadman's Trail
IMG_1203.JPG

Deadman's Trail
IMG_1205.JPG

View up Horseshoe Canyon from the Deadman's Trail
IMG_1210.JPG

Concretions on the canyon wall
IMG_1217.JPG

Spring in Water Canyon
IMG_1221.JPG

Undated but old-looking ABF inscription near Water Canyon
IMG_1228.JPG

Ice skating across the canyon
IMG_1230.JPG

Our final point of interest was the road on the east side of Horseshoe Canyon, opposite from where we'd descended into the canyon that morning. I was out of energy and almost chose not to make the climb out on the east side, but I trudged on and I'm very glad I did. There were a lot of inscriptions from the road builders, including writings by Ned and Arth Chaffin. Some of the inscriptions were 20 feet high on the cliff above the road and had been made before material was blasted away to make the road grade. At the top of the road was an NPS sign-in box and a kiosk with signs telling people all the things they can't do in the National Park. It also mentioned that the road was closed because it was washed out, though I'd wager my mostly-stock Jeep could negotiate it.

Starting up the old road on the east side of Horseshoe Canyon
IMG_1233.JPG

View down Horseshoe Canyon
IMG_1243.JPG

Ned Chaffin inscription, presumably from 1935
IMG_1259.JPG

Bulldozer marks on the side of the old road
IMG_1265.JPG

A.L.C. (Arthur L. Chaffin) 1928
IMG_1273.JPG

View of the lower section of the old road
IMG_1282.JPG

No, no, and I dare you
IMG_1284.JPG

View across the canyon to the road blasted into the cliffs
IMG_1292.JPG

Floyd Taylor, Jan. 25, 1928, Lyman, Utah
IMG_1294.JPG

We descended back into the canyon and I dragged my ass back up the road on the west side toward the trailhead. We had climbed down into and then back out of the canyon a total of three times. I was the last one back to the truck waiting at the trailhead. The round-trip distance was only 10.3 miles and took about eight hours, but with a lot of elevation loss and gain it had worn me out.

Climbing back up the west side of the old road toward the trailhead
IMG_1295.JPG

Climbing back up the west side of the old road toward the trailhead
IMG_1296.JPG

Full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/HorseshoeCanyon

[parsehtml]<iframe width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fudink.org%2Fgeo%2FHorseshoeCanyon.kmz&amp;hl=en&amp;sspn=0.082005,0.169086&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=38.458899,-110.205488&amp;spn=0.040326,0.068579&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fudink.org%2Fgeo%2FHorseshoeCanyon.kmz&amp;hl=en&amp;sspn=0.082005,0.169086&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=38.458899,-110.205488&amp;spn=0.040326,0.068579&amp;z=14&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/parsehtml]http://udink.org/geo/HorseshoeCanyon.kmz

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Killer trip report! Looks like winter is a fine time to do Horseshoe. Really like seeing the climb out the Deadman and all the history. Also like the narrative about all the stuff you can't do out there. I've been pretty baffled about the lack of overnight use at the very least...

Super neat!

I like the Deadman access to the canyon too. The last time I visited that's how I went in and out, way shorter/easier than the main trail. Of course, the drive around is another matter entirely, but I was camping in the area (Cleopatra's and Pano Point) anyway.

- DAA

Great report.

Do you (or anyone) know the history of the ominous name for Deadman's Trail?

When I did my big Canyonlands hike several years ago, I hiked through with my big pack and got many questions about my intent (eg. "you know you can't camp down there, right?") The most curious was the ranger who was watching the Great Gallery. BTW -- it's a pretty easy hike out past the park boundary near the bottom of Bluejohn if one wanted to camp legally (less than 2 miles I think past Great Gallery.) But, I would say a day hike should be more than enough for most visitors.

- Jamal

Do you (or anyone) know the history of the ominous name for Deadman's Trail?

All I've been able to learn about the name is in this document (bottom of page 2 and top of page 3), in which Ned Chaffin says, "Well, Uncle Johnny Armstrong told Faun that some guy, his horse fell on him and killed him there, some outlaw."

Cool to see Horseshoe in the winter with all that ice. Last time I was there I had a great convo with an NPS ranger. She was leading a group of about 20 people. We chatted about the Bluejohn conundrum (too many people attempting now without proper experience thanks to the Ralston legend).

I read an article that suggested the great gallery panel was painted as a three dimensional representation. The head of the main figure is shown in three-quarter view and several of the smaller shadow figures are actually in the background. I'd never noticed that before, but after reading the article I can't look at it any other way. Looks like a powerful figure with an entourage emerging from the alcove.

Also, please forgive me for hijacking the discussion above.