Horse Canyon on Canyonlands

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Carlos, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Carlos

Carlos Member

I hiked the Peekaboo trail in the Needles this past Thanksgiving and I am coming back in late March to hike that area again (day hike). As part of the hike I went into Horse Canyon and I hiked as long as time permitted (which was not much), but I managed to find Paul Bunyan's Potty (just in distance, next time I will hike up to it) and then Tower Ruins. I ran out of time, so I didnt try to get close to it.

My question is: how close can I get to the ruins ? I have seen a You Tube video of someone that took it from the rock formation next to it. I hike alone, so I dont want to take unnecessary risks, and I am very careful with ruins. Obviously you can get to the ruins because people lived there, but I want to make sure that is still the case that someone can hike up to them in a safe manner.

Also, are there any ruins to explore close to Paul Bunyan's Potty of somewhere in that vicinity ?

After the Tower Ruins, should I continue hiking into the canyon ? I have seen in Google Earth some tags of some arches further into the canyon, but I am not sure if its worth the hike. As a reference, I love to photograph the needle rock formations, so if there are more further into the canyon that would be great to know.

I know about Salt Creek Canyon (in case someone suggests it); that is also part of my March hiking trip.

2. IntrepidXJ

IntrepidXJ ADVENTR

Tower Ruins are pretty inaccessible unless you are a rock climber. I would guess when they were inhabited that they used a ladder to access this location. You can see them from the ledge below the site.

Horse Canyon is a great place to explore and there is a lot of stuff to see further up canyon!

http://adventr.co/2012/07/the-elusive-horse-canyon/

3. Carlos

Carlos Member

great trip report !!!

Quick question: how far from Tower Ruins is the Thirteen Faces pictographs in miles ? I keep googling about it and I cant find a general location. Same with 9 faces :(

4. IntrepidXJ

IntrepidXJ ADVENTR

Drawing a quick track on a map, it looks like about 4 miles past the turnoff for Tower Ruin. Thirteen Faces is marked on USGS topo maps.

5. Carlos

Carlos Member

oh yes, just checked the topo maps and I see them there. Thanks !!!

6. Carlos

Carlos Member

I

OH WAIT !!! I remember you now. I have been looking for the Cave of 200 hands and rock art in the Devils Kitchen are in the Needles and I saw this website (http://www.myxj.net/blog/cyclone-canyon-the-devils-pocket/#more-6749) and I realize that is you. Could you please give me an approximate location of it ? I will be there in March and I was thinking of hiking Devil's Lane from Devil's Kitchen into SOB Hill because I suspect its there, but that is a big area and I might miss it again. How about the location of that second trapezoidal anthropomorph panel ?

7. Kullaberg63

Kullaberg63 Member

When I was in Horse it had long been closed to vehicles and the whole area beyond Tower seemed very remote and almost forgotten.

I think the two arches up Horse are well worth the distance. Especially one of them, don't remember which, have an interesting trail with this ladder somewhere along the way:

[​IMG]image by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr