Album Hoodoos, Spires and other Rock Formations

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #1

b.stark

Forever Wandering
Trip Reports
I'll play a bit. Some strange formations in the remote regions of my home state:

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
Trip Reports
Not exactly hoodoos, but they definitely look like hoodoos and are made of lava rock :)
These rock formations are called lava trees.
Lava Trees are the result when very fast flowing lava engulfs a tree and leaves a hollow, hoodoo-like structure behind when the lava drains away. The bark of the tree is usually pretty cool and moist, so the lava quickly cools leaving these strange looking remnants behind. Some of these lava trees can be several feet high. There are many well-preserved lava trees here in Hawaii Volcanoes NP and even though they look impressive they are very fragile.
I always enjoy walking through this lava tree forest and enjoy the story of the old flows they try to tell me.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.