Homesteading

Nurrgle

Feet on the ground, head in the clouds
Homesteading had been an interest for my wife and I for a while. As a kid, I spent the summers working at a dairy farm and hauled hay as well. The independent mindset and powerful personality of the farmers always impressed me.

Fast forward to today and I have found a renewed interest in finding a small piece of land somewhere and retiring to the secluded confines of my own small self-sufficient farm. We have always dreamed of starting a small herd of Nigerian Dwarf Goats for milk and cheese, and breeding the dogs needed to protect the herd from predators. Obviously this would be a hobby until I either retired, or we grew our skills and abilities enough to turn it into something profitable.

By adding a chicken coop, a few pigs, a garden, and a lot of love and good vibrations, it is feasible to live off of the farm while working to cover other costs. At least we would like to think so.

Land here in Colorado is pretty expensive and we have been looking at Southern Oregon and Northern California as options. Both offer reasonably priced land and work prospects reasonably close.

Anyone else doing this or dreaming about it? It seems that this way of life is gaining popularity.b

Back