Album Home

Yes indeed! Our son told us that he just finished shoveling over three feet of snow off their backyard shed. That included a layer of ice sandwiched in between the layers of snow. And now it’s back to the bitter cold.
We have a layer of ice an inch thick about 8 inches down into the snow. My neighbor told me it poured rain for almost an hour at one point during the storms.

Jackson ... you live in the banana belt.....

Jackson ... you live in the banana belt.....
Hey, hey. We're a whole degree colder than Island Park right now! :geek:

It's actually pretty interesting because sometimes in deeper cold snaps, the trend flips and we're far colder down here in the valley than it is up in the mountains/up by you 2000 feet higher. A temperature inversion, one might say. Definitely a banana belt for snowfall though. Bozeman, as close as it is, usually gets at least a few inches more than us. But then we're usually a few degrees colder in the winter and a few degrees warmer in the summer. I guess being a bit closer to the mountains increases precipitation and moderates temperature slightly. I'm getting off topic.

Last edited:
It's one of those typical March days here where it kind of looks like this outside in real life (just a touch more color in the real scene, though).

20220317_170650%20%281%29-L.jpg

My first "hike" since my accident. Only 2.5 miles but all went well. I'm still healing but doctor gave me the OK for Utah so I'm heading out next week. Sorry @Yvonne it doesn't look like I'm bring any snow this time
View attachment 108484
no worries, I'm leaving in 2 weeks and will be in the rain pretty soon, lol
Enjoy your hikes down here
There is still quite a bit of snow in ZIon's high elevations

Wander wherever you roam be happy and healthy and glad to come home.

I don’t know who owns this house but it’s in Alta, Wyoming if you get the urge to wander up there.

DD5D7ED2-A5E7-4E11-955B-C5FA11C2FBFC.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess it fits in here best.
This morning at 4:44 am, Kilauea erupted again.
At 4:50 am, I was on the road, and at 5:30, I was at the volcano.
The first 2-3 hours are the most crucial ones because thatʻs when you have the high fountaining.
I was not disappointed, and some fountains were 200+ feet high.
I shot until 6:50 am and then headed to Hilo because I had to work at 7:45 am.

kilauea%201%20copy-XL.jpg

this was shot from half a mile away

kilauea%202%20copy-XL.jpg

kilauea%205%20copy-XL.jpg

kilauea%206%20copy-XL.jpg

I guess it fits in here best.
This morning at 4:44 am, Kilauea erupted again.
At 4:50 am, I was on the road, and at 5:30, I was at the volcano.
The first 2-3 hours are the most crucial ones because thatʻs when you have the high fountaining.
I was not disappointed, and some fountains were 200+ feet high.
I shot until 6:50 am and then headed to Hilo because I had to work at 7:45 am.

kilauea%201%20copy-XL.jpg

this was shot from half a mile away

kilauea%202%20copy-XL.jpg

kilauea%205%20copy-XL.jpg

kilauea%206%20copy-XL.jpg
Out the door in 6 minutes! Impressive!

A collection of images from the last eruption at Kilauea. Sleep was totally overrated.
In addition to my regular job, I got an evening gig with the Eruption Crew in the Park, working there from 4:30 pm until pau - usually between 10-11:30 pm.
My day was like this: get up at 3:15 am, shot the volcano from 4:30- sunrise, and commute 45 minutes to Hilo because I had to work at 8 am. Work my daytime job from 8-3 pm, and commute to the park. Work Eruption Crew til 10-11:30 pm, and shoot the volcano until midnight. Head home and sleep 2-3 hours.
Thank goodness for Starbucks Double Shots and Monster Energy Drinks.

But it all paid off: I finally will start working inside the park on July 2nd at the visitor center bookstore.
And most likely, next season when new positions open up, I will be high on the hiring list for a park ranger position.

8.4%20copy-XL.jpg

the early phase of the eruption with a filled lava lake

8.8%20copy-XL.jpg

wafting%20clouds%20copy-XL.jpg

stars%20above%20fire%20below%20copy-XL.jpg

a week into the eruption the lava lake was confined to the western edge

life%20on%20the%20edge%20copy-XL.jpg

Living on the edge

spatter%20cone%202%20copy-XL.jpg

itʻs a volcano within a volcano - a spatter cone was created at the end of the eruption and spewed lava 30+ feet into the air

fountain%201%20copy-XL.jpg

fountain%203%20copy-XL.jpg

movement%202%20copy-XL.jpg

sunlit%20splatter%20copy-XL.jpg

The spatter cone is about 200 feet tall

Iʻm glad the eruption has paused now; we all need a break. She will be back and I will be working with the Eruption Crew again.