Hiking Mt Timpanogos with some snow

jentzschman

I was wondering for those who have hiked Mt Timpanogos, Utah, with snow, what the ideal time frame might be?

I would like to experience it with some snow still but with little to no avalanche danger.

I would think that mid to late April might be a good time or early May.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Which way you looking at heading up. I'd say Timponeke would be safe enough now, though the gate on the road leading up to it might not be open yet? Aspen Grove might even be ok too. Obviously you'll want to have some spikes and possibly some snowshoes for the upper basins.

There have been people reaching the summit via the Everest Ridge Route accessible via Dry Canyon here on the west side in Orem. Here's a video of a group who just did it a week or two ago.

regehr

I like how the guys' axes never come off their packs in the video. Looks like they have a healthy tolerance for exposure.

I've almost never used crampons for Wasatch snow climbs, just stiff boots and an axe. Around June is usually the right time for excellent spring snow conditions up high, but obviously this year will be different. Avoid sluffy times (afternoon during a warm spell).

WasatchWill

Ready For More
I like how the guys' axes never come off their packs in the video. Looks like they have a healthy tolerance for exposure.

I noticed that as well. I wonder if they ever took them off their pack. By the way they just hop along everything, I'm guessing they didn't.

Here's another video from an acquaintance of mine who went up the same route a month ago. They didn't quite reach the summit but came real close. They went up with just trail runners, and one of them with shorts. They did not have any axes on them either.

Pretty crazy stuff. I don't know that I could handle that kind of exposure. Hit one loose rock the wrong way and...

regehr

Here's another video from an acquaintance of mine who went up the same route a month ago. They didn't quite reach the summit but came real close. They went up with just trail runners, and one of them with shorts. They did not have any axes on them either.

To that I say NOPE.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Fall hiking in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 4
kwc Adirondack Hiking - the colors are starting to pop! Hiking & Camping 5
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Ross Hiking Scotland Hiking & Camping 19
kwc Hiking in the South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Adirondack Spring Hiking Continued Hiking & Camping 3
C Little Hiking, Little Rockhounding Everything Else 0
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
kwc More Southern Adirondack Hiking Hiking & Camping 5
kwc Southern Adirondack Day Hiking (aka Social Isolation) Hiking & Camping 0
TrektheWorld Heil Ranch Hiking and Hammocking Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Local Hiking Hiking & Camping 1
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Yvonne Hiking the Hurricane Canal and Hurricane Rim Loop, February 15 Hiking & Camping 4
Yvonne Hiking Avalanche Peak, Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 4
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 9
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018 - a solo trip hiking and exploring America's first National Park: Part II Madison Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018- A solo trip hiking and exploring America’s first National Park: Part I Mammoth Hiking & Camping 13
M Hiking attire Gear 22
TractorDoc Mount Rainier in Late July -- Day Hiking Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Yvonne Hiking Yellowstone - 100 miles the Second Trip Planning 21
NorthwestWanderer Hiking to Lake 22 in the Cascades Hiking & Camping 2
G Grand Canyon hiking - need a ride Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Miya Noob Question about Hiking in the Snow General Discussion 32
Stephanie Winter weekend trip with some hiking Trip Planning 3
LarryBoy Critique the Route: Deseret Hiking Route Trip Planning 11
McKee80 Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail Nov 1, 2018 Backpacking 3
Titans 3 week Arizona road trip: Tucson Desert Rain & Hiking SAGUARO NP Hiking & Camping 1
Titans Redwoods hiking & Oregon coast in September incl. 360 sphere pictures Hiking & Camping 10
Rockskipper Zion National Park visitors rescued after mocking rangers, hiking The Subway unprepared General Discussion 97
C hiking suggestions for Denali Trip Planning 6
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2
K Hiking the Needles Canyonlands Trip Planning 9
Yvonne Testing the limits: A long day of hiking in Hawai’i Volcanoes NP Hiking & Camping 12
balzaccom Hiking in Paris Everything Else 3
DiscGo Hiking Fisher Towers Hiking & Camping 2
DiscGo Hiking False Kiva Hiking & Camping 2
C Bisti and Ah Shi Sle Pah hiking Trip Planning 0
Perry Time to Try Hiking Shoes but Which Ones? Gear 44
P Bears and hyperphagia and hiking question General Discussion 9
T K9 hiking adventures & K9 backpack advice. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
fiber Looking for backpacking/hiking/mtbing partners Meet Up (Members Only) 2
Perry West Utah Desert Hiking Opportunities? Trip Planning 4
Brian Skibbe Camping/hiking teton wilderness 06/24-06/29 Meet Up (Members Only) 3
kimbur96 Weekend at Spruce Grove CG with hiking in Lost Creek Wilderness Hiking & Camping 1
Georgia Yankee Utah camping/hiking in June--suggestions? General Discussion 9
Perry New to Desert Hiking... Any Advice? General Discussion 8