Hiking attire

Meddins

Just wondering what is it your wearing on trail? Gym shorts ? Hiking spec shorts / pants? Shirts shortsleeved or long ? Name brand / no name ?

I think it depends on what type of hike and whether its overnight, long distance, etc. However overall as of late since I seem to be off in the brush, I do not wear shorts as much. I do occasionally have some convertible hiking pants I can zip off the lower portion though. I have several different brands though I do have to say I like the ones I have from Marmot and North Face. Put that together with some simple t-shirts (no name brand needed) and I am good to go. I think this was discussed in another thread, but it does not have to be the pricey brands all the time. I try to invest more in my tent, backpack and sleeping bag really. Though for winter I do spend a bit more since I want to be able to stay out in any kind of weather.

I always wear long pants since I often bushwack, sunburn easily, and hate bug bites. Also trail runners in everything but deep snow. Everything else is negotiable. When it makes sense, a fanny pack is a great way to avoid a sweaty back.

just capris running pants or some sort of cheap shorts. And in the winter my cross-country ski pants. The shorts and capris are all cheap pants you can buy at every ROSS store or similar.
I invest more money in good rain gear, down puffy, and windbreaker.
I always hike in trail runners unless there is deep snow.

As someone who wears shorts 99.9% of the time, I go for Prana Mojo shorts. They are lightweight, dry fast and most important, comfortable. For hiking, I like polyester, whatever brand. I like those for being lightweight, breathable and quick drying.

5.11 pants and a Nike or Adidas shirt. Trail runners unless there's snow. Darn Tough socks. Outdoor Research sun runner hat to reduce the amount of sunscreen I need on my face and neck.

Long pants: nylon/poly, Columbia etc
Long sleeved shirt: Columbia, ExOfficio, etc
OR Sunrunner hat or equivalent
SmartWool or DarnTough socks
SmartWool liner socks.
Thin gloves/sungloves above treeline
Midweight hikers (Scarpa Kailash, Lowa Vantage, ?next pair) for serious backpacks
Hiking shoes (Merrells) for dayhikes, overnighters, easier terrain

I prefer loose fitting shirts with pockets (very handy in camp or fishing). Always long-sleeve for sun/bug protection.
May start using softshell or heavier pants when wind chill temps are below 50.
DarnTough: great sock but tend to be too tight fitting in the ankle for me.
Haven't yet made the leap to trailrunners or lighter non-GTX shoes for backpacks in tougher terrain like Wind Rivers (70-80% on trail, 20-30% off trail) in September. I like warm, dry feet, protection from lots of sharp granite and torsional stability
Usually add a GoLite windshirt and a non-hooded R1 pullover over that plus a generic polypro hat as conditions warrant

Last edited:
For any backpacking I go with a gym short type , Hanes long sleeve cool dri, or tank top , mil spec Boonie hat , darn tough no shows , Merrell trail shoes , if it’s colder I thrown UA cold gear base layers on on 32 degrees base layer.

Zip off pants, short or long sleeve depending on need, fleece for cold, terramar thermal top or bottom as needed, dynamax socks, syn light jacket... Most everything is not a name brand. .... and lol, I don't shop REI.... All overpriced and as good unknown brands

Depends on where I'm going, I guess, and if there will be rain or not,

Cheap cargo shorts for most hikes during spring, summer, fall, and good ol' jeans in the winter if it's cold. Desert hiking in winter is shorts time as long as it is warm enough (40+degrees). T-shirt in bright color so i can more readily seen if I get lost. Sometimes Ill wear those moisture-wicking shirts but I don't like the feel of them.

Ill bushwhack in shorts as well. Yea, it scratches the legs, but they've been scratched a lot already I'm almost numb to it.

No high-dollar specialty clothing for me.

Most of my hiking is in Florida so I generally use running shorts with under armour type base layer and a non-cotton long sleeve columbia shirt. I've been using trail runners but for my upcoming YNP Thorofare trip I'm switching to boots maybe. I generally don't need a jacket but when I do I use the REI 650 down one. Seems pretty highly rated, light and much cheaper than the fancy ones. Other than that just a buff and a baseball cap.

Some type of zip-off hiking pants

Shirts - I really like the ex officio long sleeve button down shirts. They offer great sun protection and are well ventilated and I can button the sleeves up. I also recently picked up a patagonia long sleeve sunshirt when it was on sale and I think I will be keeping an eye out for when they go on sale so I can pick up another.

I know most haven't touched on the the undies but I have tried ex officio, saxx, REI, and smartwool. I have to say after exhaustive research I am a huge fan of the smartwool just not so much of the price.

Socks typically either smartwool, darn tough, or something similar.

Shoes - typically trail runners or approach shoes sometimes with gaiters. When carrying a bit heavier weight I will go up to a higher ankled hiking boot.

Marmot rain gear, an old beat up mountain hardwear down jacket, fleeces, liner gloves, cheap beanie, and a sun-day long brim sun hat with neck protection.

I normally wear whatever is on sale that I can get on the cheap. Columbia and UA have outlets, so I have some of that stuff for shirts, pants, shorts, rain gear and such. Shirts, pants and shorts are consumables. I have tried prAna and Kuhl, but still wear them out fast. They are more comfortable in some ways, but it's all $ I can spend elsewhere. I have a pair of North Face zipoffs that have had the butt pocket sewn twice, are a bit heavier and are my winter go to pants.

Puffy- Mountain Hardwear, got a ghost whisperer for $75

Socks- darn tough... used to do Stoic because I like them, but I hole them up within 50 miles usually.

Underwear are almost the most expensive clothing I have. Summer- I swear by the Duluth Armichillo... so nice and cool. Winter- Stoic lightweight merino wool and I also have a pair of Smartwool

Baselayer- I have a holey holey Backcountry brand lightweight merino top that I have loved to death. In winter I use some cheap Sams Club tops and bottoms that are medium weight. Smartwool lightweight wool beanie and a Buff is my normal snowshoeing multiuse hat/covering.

Fleece- I have a windshirt from Mountain Hardwear, but lately I take a really lightweight fleece from Amazon, although Columbia had one in 1/3 zip that I almost bought last week, and just may still. This usually comes with me on most hikes as my backup layer in summer or for chilly mornings or headlamp hikes out

Shoes- 90% of the time, even in snow, I wear trail runners and change socks at camp, I sweat anyways, so it has been most convenient. I will take down booties if it is cold enough. Otherwise I sometimes wear some tall waterproof hunting boots from Scheels, I think they were the Antelopes, but do not remember since I wear them so infrequently. Right now I wear Altra Lone Peaks, love the grip. Once these two pair go, I may jump to something else, since my Altra connection just moved to Colorado.

Academy Sports running shorts. Liner cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering what is it your wearing on trail? Gym shorts ? Hiking spec shorts / pants? Shirts shortsleeved or long ? Name brand / no name ?
I really like North Face and Exofficio travel type clothes. I can tell I’m getting old because I started wearing long sleeves and pants treated with sawyers bug repellent. I used to wear the zip pants but now I don’t care about shorts much. My short sleeve shirt is a very light wool t shirt. The wool helps with the stink after several days on the trail. The main concern is bug bites. After many trips this summer I can count maybe 10 total bites.

Depends. I have two backpacking "uniforms" that don't change much, though. One is "general purpose", while the other is for when temps are expected to be much lower.
A little mix and match happens on occasion, but a synthetic t under L/S nylon button up, and light weight nylon pants with some stretch, like the cheaper outlet version of EB Guide Pros, is typical.
Capilene 2 zipneck under OR Ferrosi hoody, and Marmot Scree softshell pants when it gets colder.

Same spot, similar trips, 4yrs apart, with different weather expectations:

I'm pretty much wearing one or the other in all my backpacking pics for the last 9yrs.
One of my Facebook friends once asked me, "don't you ever wear anything different?"
No.

Depends. I have two backpacking "uniforms" that don't change much, though. One is "general purpose", while the other is for when temps are expected to be much lower.
A little mix and match happens on occasion, but a synthetic t under L/S nylon button up, and light weight nylon pants with some stretch, like the cheaper outlet version of EB Guide Pros, is typical.
Capilene 2 zipneck under OR Ferrosi hoody, and Marmot Scree softshell pants when it gets colder.

Same spot, similar trips, 4yrs apart, with different weather expectations:
View attachment 81262View attachment 81263

I'm pretty much wearing one or the other in all my backpacking pics for the last 9yrs.
One of my Facebook friends once asked me, "don't you ever wear anything different?"
No.
Hikers are like cartoon characters - we wear the same thing every day :)

My hiking attire has been well documented and facetiously poked at here on BCP. I am driven by budget (none), dislike of sunscreen, desire not to give a thought about bugs, and my flannels have become a bit shreaded from pokey things when bushwacking. Sure I can work up a bit of a sweat with my flannel and jeans but it can make what breeze there is momentarily beautiful. (How is that for rationalizing!) I guess what I am saying is......if you have a budget Please read everybody else's suggestions. I just wanted to represent for the low end option. :cool:
IMG_9972.jpg

Pretty simple, a wicking, short-sleeved shirt and a kilt. I do use sunscreen and very seldom worry about mosquitoes. Some attire shots from my recent canoe trip on Yellowstone Lake.

Off-trailing along Flat Mountain Arm Creek - YNP

Making my way to Alder Lake - YNP

Crossing Chipmunk Creek - YNP

Two Ocean Plateau - YNP

Working my way up Langford Cairn - YNP

Ratty duct taped Arcteryx pants and long sleeve shirt, big hat. I have issues with exposed skin.