Highline Trail to WFBF Part 1

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
This is a test run of embedding from my blog to BCP.

@Nick I've got this TR broken down into several parts. If you prefer that I submit it as one TR let me know and I"ll do that.

From July 21 through July 26 2014, two of my children and I went on a backpacking trip through the High Uinta mountains in Utah. We started out at the Highline Trailhead full of excitement and enthusiasm for the adventure that lay ahead.
Unfortunately, it didn't take long for the first tragedy to strike. Do you see those small logs in the middle of the photo? I was trying to cross this puddle by walking across those logs when the log rolled out from underneath me so fast that I didn't even have time to catch myself and my face crashed into that flat rock in the middle of the puddle.
As far as backcountry tragedies go this was on the mild side. Because this was more of an injury to my pride we quickly made our way through is section of trail, which is the least scenic of the whole trip.
Here's the GPS screen shot once we reached Pigeon Milk Springs.

We were planning on this being a nine mile hike so we arrived into camp earlier than expected.
Here's a few photos of the Pigeon Milk Springs campsite.

You may be wondering where the name Pigeon Milk Springs comes from, well after much research . . . I've found nothing. The water does have a milky color to it due to glacial dust, or small mineral particles in the water as it comes to the surface. The one thing I do know, this is probably the best tasting water in the Uintas. That's not to say Uinta water is bad, the Pigeon Milk Springs water is just really cold and tasty!

After an early bedtime, which would be the case every night this week. We awoke to a beautiful sky, had breakfast and were on our way up Rocky Sea Pass.

From Pigeon Milk Springs the trail starts out moderately steep, but soon becomes a smooth incline.
This photo shows the last stretch to the top of the pass.

Roman & Addison at Rocky Sea Pass.

Orem Chiropractor-R. Ned McArthur, D.C.
560 S. State Ste C2
Orem, UT 84058
Phone: 801-225-1311
URL: http://AskDrNed.com
Connect with Orem Chiropractor – R. Ned McArthur:
Google+
Facebook
Twitter

Well done, sir! Looking forward to reading the rest. Were you using trekking poles when you fell? That's one of my favorite things about using them. I almost always catch myself before I eat it. :)

One thought on the cross posting from your blog - you're images are reeeeeally big. They don't appear big but that is because they are being dynamically resized. It turns out fine but it makes loading pretty slow, especially for people on mobile devices. I usually size mine down to around 1000-1200px for general internet usage. Super easy if you're using a photo managing software like iPhoto, Lightroom, Aperture, etc.

If you don't use software, one way around having to do that yourself is to have Wordpress do it for you kind of like BCP does it for people uploading directly. In fact, it already does it. You just need to insert your images a little differently in the WP editor. When you are editing your post in wordpress, don't insert the 'full image'. Instead insert large or whatever size you like. You can set what size 'large, small, thumbnail, etc' is in your Wordpress general settings for media. It will not only make your pages load faster, but it will also help with your SEO as Google has a well-known fondness for quick-loading sites.

Well done, sir! Looking forward to reading the rest. Were you using trekking poles when you fell? That's one of my favorite things about using them. I almost always catch myself before I eat it. :)

One thought on the cross posting from your blog - you're images are reeeeeally big. They don't appear big but that is because they are being dynamically resized. It turns out fine but it makes loading pretty slow, especially for people on mobile devices. I usually size mine down to around 1000-1200px for general internet usage. Super easy if you're using a photo managing software like iPhoto, Lightroom, Aperture, etc.

If you don't use software, one way around having to do that yourself is to have Wordpress do it for you kind of like BCP does it for people uploading directly. In fact, it already does it. You just need to insert your images a little differently in the WP editor. When you are editing your post in wordpress, don't insert the 'full image'. Instead insert large or whatever size you like. You can set what size 'large, small, thumbnail, etc' is in your Wordpress general settings for media. It will not only make your pages load faster, but it will also help with your SEO as Google has a well-known fondness for quick-loading sites.

Thank you Nick! I did not know any of that. WP asks for the size, but never knew it mattered. Will adjust on further uploads.As for the poles this was the fall that inspired me to get some - and a new camera as mine hasn't worked so well since getting wet in this fall. iPhone never lost a beat though, so all the pictures here are from the phone.