High Uinta sheep grazing EIS

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
USFS is out with its EIS on sheep grazing in the Uintas. In a nutshell, they're proposing to do nothing. Their study says eliminating sheep grazing from the current allotments would help the environment, but because it generates a small handful of jobs and about $2.5 million in annual economic impact the sheep should stay.

It's an interesting EIS as there are only two serious alternatives: no grazing at all, or the current scheme. The FS rejected outright a proposal from Uinta Co., Wyoming to expand sheep grazing, both in geography, season and number of animals. But they also ignored possible positive benefit to bighorn sheep because they reason domestic and bighorn herds would co-mingle off of FS lands anyway.

Other interesting notes: all of the sheep that graze the allotments (both north and south slope) originate in Wyoming. Sheep-related agriculture in both Utah and Wyoming has been on a steady decline since the mid-20th century. The FS sees sheep as a "stabilizing force" on the economy of Uinta Co., Wyoming, the loss of which would have a ripple effect on recreation.

Full EIS doc: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/98915_FSPLT3_4656983.pdf

Thanks Dave and great analysis.

I intend to give them some public input as well as to my county government (responsible for much of the south slope on the west) which is also considering how to respond to the EiS.

My experience with livestock grazing in the High and Wild has been absolutely negative and I have been working for a long time to reduce the impact on the riparian areas and the high alpine ecosystems of the Uintas. I suggest to everyone to get involved and understand the issues and express your opinion.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
Devin Ashby Ostler Peak - Amethyst Basin - High Uinta Wilderness Backpacking 0
Blake Merrell 50 miles of High Uinta Majesty! - A dream come true. Backpacking 24
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
Kullaberg63 Gore high traverse Backpacking 11
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
travel2walk preventing high altitude (khumbu) cough techniques? Resource Discussions 2
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
Bob Teton Wilderness - 50 miles of High Country - Aug 2022 Backpacking 45
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
balzaccom My second mystery novel set in the High Sierra is now out! General Discussion 6
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
fossana Palisades Roundabout (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
fossana Evolution Loop (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 10
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
balzaccom Mystery set in the High Sierra General Discussion 4
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
Tarp Boy High Sierra Camp Loop, Yosemite, CA Trip Reports 5
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
fossana Bear Lakes > Royce Lakes overnighter (High Sierra) Backpacking 12
DrNed Plan B to High Uintas Backpacking Trip Planning 20
J Cali: Cinder Cones, High Sierra Rambles, Famous Domes Oct 26-31, 2018 Hiking & Camping 3
R Psuedoephedrine at high altitude General Discussion 6
fossana Pine Creek/Granite Park fall excursion (High Sierra) Hiking & Camping 14
David Rule High Peaks Wilderness-August 2018 Backpacking 1
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
scatman High Sierra Trail Backpacking 23
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
Ross High Spur and North Wash Canyoneering 5
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke High Uintas: Allen Lake and Thunderstorms Backpacking 0
westy High Uintas - Henry's, Painter, Yellowstone, Smith's Backpacking 5
westy High Uintas - Middle Basin Backpacking 5
S Central Utah high alpine suggestions Trip Planning 2
N Which High Uintas overnight hike? Trip Planning 2
mattvogt7 High Water Bruneau On The Water 8
Tim Valentine High Sierra Lakes Tour Backpacking 11
Perry Sierra Designs High Route 1FL Tent - Looks interesting Gear 6
S High alpine in central Utah Trip Planning 4
Devin Ashby Ostler Peak - High Uintas - Who's Done It? Trip Planning 5