"Hell Throughout" Trail

Great report, and you are a phenomenal photographer. Sorry to hear about your knee. I’m sure that stick has been used by many a hiker. And please, never feel like you are attaching too many pics.

Great report, and you are a phenomenal photographer. Sorry to hear about your knee. I’m sure that stick has been used by many a hiker. And please, never feel like you are attaching too many pics.

Thanks! Like hiking, it is pretty new to my life and I am self taught hah.
Good to know! Another trip report to come soon from last weekend.

a lot of exercises help a lot to strengthen your knee. Especially if you do the leg press to strengthen your quad muscles.
I had a hit and run accident when I was 18 and my entire knee was gone, everything broken, ripped off and ruptured. I was told I could never hike again.
I worked my butt off with physio and a lot of strengthening exercises and that helped a lot. Now I hike almost every day some tough 11 miles on old lava. I barely wear a knee brace anymore.
Hiking downhill always takes a beat on knees and trekking poles for sure help with that. Get like an elastic rubber band for home exercises, go to the gym, do squats with weight bars, and also work on your calf muscles and hamstrings. It all helps to ease up the issues a lot.
I dealt with knee issues almost my entire life, so I feel you and your pain you experienced on your hike.
You made the best out of it and still had a fun day

a lot of exercises help a lot to strengthen your knee. Especially if you do the leg press to strengthen your quad muscles.
I had a hit and run accident when I was 18 and my entire knee was gone, everything broken, ripped off and ruptured. I was told I could never hike again.
I worked my butt off with physio and a lot of strengthening exercises and that helped a lot. Now I hike almost every day some tough 11 miles on old lava. I barely wear a knee brace anymore.
Hiking downhill always takes a beat on knees and trekking poles for sure help with that. Get like an elastic rubber band for home exercises, go to the gym, do squats with weight bars, and also work on your calf muscles and hamstrings. It all helps to ease up the issues a lot.
I dealt with knee issues almost my entire life, so I feel you and your pain you experienced on your hike.
You made the best out of it and still had a fun day

Thanks for the suggestions! I just started going to the gym again last year. And LAST NIGHT, I thought, "I wonder what exercises I could do to help my knee?" Hah

I am glad you keep hiking and getting out and taking your amazing photos! :) I won't stop hiking either, but I know I need to get in to a physical therapist soon, at least for some tips.

I have had knee and achilles issues, blew my ACL and MCL both about 20 years ago and a lot of of arthritis and pain overall. Luckily one of my old college buddies is a PT so I started seeing him last year every couple of months and constantly refreshing a strength regimen. My hips, butt and quads needed to catch up to my too knotted calves. I also learned the joy of using a foam roller.

I am still achy every morning... EVERY morning... but when I exercise and roll out I feel much better.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
forest dweller Invite First 2 weeks of August, open to anywhere wild and beautiful, western US or Canada, hell, Yukon or Alaska even! Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Reef&Ruins Hell'n Moriah Canyon Trip Planning 7
Parma Sawtooth Loop: Redfish, Hell Roaring, Imogene, Edna, and Cramer Lakes Backpacking 13
Cait Hell's Kitchen Basin - Old Pack Trail post Box Fire Trip Reports 3
ramblinman Food Fight: Article in the New Yorker about the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder, UT General Discussion 7
blueeyes Lava Trail on Hell's Half Acre, Idaho Hiking & Camping 6
Eugene Idaho Sawtooths - Hell Roaring to Imogene Jul 18-21 2017 Backpacking 5
Dave Hell Hole Lake, August 2015 Backpacking 6
Joey Upper Death Hollow and the Old Bowington Road, From Hell's Backbone down to the Escalante River Backpacking 24
Udink Hell Roaring Canyon II Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Hell Roaring Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Hell's Kitchen / Jean Lake (Uintas) - 07/19/14 Hiking & Camping 15
Bill Hell's Hole 2012 General Discussion 9
Nick Imogene and Hell Roaring Lakes, Sawtooths Backpacking 33
leatherman Hell Roaring Lake, Sawtooths Idaho Hiking & Camping 10
Nick Hell In The Swell Off Road 18
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Hard work on the trail--literally Hiking & Camping 3
b.stark Brent's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Trans Canada trail Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Outdoors24 A weekend on the Pony Express Trail Off Road 2
wsp_scott Lakeshore Trail and two creeks in the Smokies Backpacking 6
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
TractorDoc CVNP Towpath Trail 07/16/2023 Hiking & Camping 4
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
Bob New USA long trail Trip Planning 2
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
L Boulder Mail Trail April 2023 Qs Trip Planning 14
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Trail Crew Story General Discussion 0
marquiri Off Trail Advice Trip Planning 17
balzaccom More trail work! Backpacking 0
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 10/10 Backpacking 59
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 9/10 Backpacking 16
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 8/10 Backpacking 42
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 7/10 Backpacking 10
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 6/10 Backpacking 10
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 5/10 Backpacking 20
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3