Heart Lake, Montana

It seems like there are thousands of Heart Lakes.... Even in the area where we went, there are 3 Heart Lakes with in a 20 mile stretch just in Montana, not to mention the one just across the border in Idaho.

We went to the one I am calling "Big" Heart Lake.

It's just south of Superior, Montana on the Idaho / Montana border.

It is a very popular destination, so we waited till the end of the season to check it out. The trail in to the lake is only about 5 miles long and a gentle grade. Just like most alpine lakes, the trail gets steeper as you near the lake. It's not a tough climb though.

The views around the lake are outstanding! On the southwest side of the lake, the rock wall climbs high above the lake and serves as the border between Idaho & Montana.

It was a snowy trip as there was a little snow at the lake when we got there and then it snowed on us the first night. It was blowing and cold the next morning and all my thoughts were about gathering wood and keeping our fire going.

The weather broke in the afternoon and I took advantage of it and hiked up to another lake that is just above Heart Lake called, Pearl Lake. It was a pretty easy walk with a little hill that you had to get up.

On the walk out the weather turned our way and we got a beautiful sunny day to hike out in.

Great spot. Was here on the fourth of July 2018, saw a whole string of mountain goats up on the MT/ID Ridgeline.

Great spot. Was here on the fourth of July 2018, saw a whole string of mountain goats up on the MT/ID Ridgeline.

Nice! I loved this lake. I think that we'll be back next year, but probably just passing through as there are a lot of great routes you can make in the this area.

Looks great! That's an area I was never even aware of. Great video!

Looks great! That's an area I was never even aware of. Great video!

Thank you! Using the state line trail that is right on top of the ridge above the lake, you can access a lot of great country in the area. Quite a few different routes there!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Heart Lake -- September 14-17 2020 Backpacking 32
P Heart Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 13
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
misSOULa The Great Burn Wilderness: Heart Lake Backpacking 3
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Snake River, Heart Lake, and South Boundary Trail Backpacking 13
Keith Heart Lake and Mount Sheridan July 27 to July 29 Backpacking 6
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Heart Lake down to the Snake River Backpacking 12
Outdoor_Fool Yellowstone - Through the Heart of the Park Backpacking 12
Perry Confused by my Heart Rate During a Brisk Walk General Discussion 3
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
WasatchWill Beehive Traverse - Through the Heart of Capitol Reef's Waterpocket Fold Backpacking 39
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63