HDR from a single RAW file

Duke

Mountain Carver
I couldn't help but notice that this site is frequented by many a pro photographer....which makes me a bit hesitant to post any of my shots, but I have to since it is part of the question. I often get a shot that has a combination of dark shadows and blown out areas too. I am looking for a way to do an HDR from altered copies of one shot. Most of the time I have a trail shot that I later decide I want to correct the light/dark areas. Photoshop will not let me do this and keeps telling me that the shots do not have the dynamic range (even though they do). I don't take many landscape shots so I am not setting up a tripod with varying stops for identical shots. I did find a method where one takes a single shot, overlays and monochromatic, negative, and then applies a gaussian blur. It does seem to improve this but isn't an actual HDR. I would appreciate some tips from you pros. attached I have two shots showing an original and the same shot after the above process. Is there a better way and some way i can do actual HDRs from a single RAW? (it should be clear which is which or I should abandon this anyway)

backcountry II.jpgBackcountry.jpg

I frequently make HDR shots from a single raw file. I use Adobe Lightroom and Photomatix. In Lightroom I make three copies of the file. One I expose correctly, one I overexpose by 1 stop, and one I underexpose by 1 stop. Sometimes I'll alter them by 2 stops. I then load the 3 files into photomatix and process them into one HDR file.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

What you talkin' about? I can only think of a couple of pros on here, most of us are amateurs who keep learning new tricks, often from each other. :) The last thing we want is for people to not want to post their photos!!

So the HDR thing. Forget about photoshop and use Photomatix. It will take a single raw image and process into HDR. It won't be as good as bracketing but it does okay. Personally, I've pretty much given up completely on HDR. I just don't like the look of it except for the rare occasions that someone does it extremely well. Much of the time it's blown up into mickey mouse crazy color land. One thing I do like is using the Photomatix Fusion process to get a higher dynamic range. It still takes in multiple exposures (might work with one) but instead of doing the details enhancer method which gives the HDR look, it just blends the exposures. So technically it's HDR, but not like you would think. I'll round something up that I've used it on and post it.

For your photo above, I wouldn't try to do HDR. Such dramatic light differences pretty much always make it look odd, IMO. I would bump the temperature on it up, sharpen a bit and maybe a bit of balancing between exposure/contrast/shadows.

Tone mapping is what can give the HDR file that over the top look if it is done in excess. And like Nick said, we're all a bunch of amateurs :D so post away!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have done some further research and it appears that Photoshop cannot HDR combine files with the same EXIF. And, since changing the exposure will not change the EXIF, it keeps saying that it cannot combine them. Bottom line, Photomatix as two of you have said. The problem there is that; 1. I ran over a DSLR in Nov and had to replace it 2. I dropped said replacement and broke the autofocus on the kit lens (just a week or so ago)......so, I just bought an 18-200 f3.5 replacement and "she who must be obeyed" would remove my head were i to order any photo related software over $20 right now. However; a future purchase! Thanks for the photo-beta.

And like Nick said, we're all a bunch of amateurs :D so post away!
If you guys are amateurs, then I'm a wanna be amateur! :cool: Yours and many other members photos on here ROCK!

Duke, you can be a wanna be amateur like me! :twothumbs: So post away!

Duke, you can download a free version of Photomatix to try it out. It will put a photomatix watermark on the final product but at least you can play with it and see if it's something you want.

Thanks, I will do that! With BCP "Pros" recommending it, you should get them to sponsor the site.

Here's an example of one I processed with Photomatix Fusion. Not necessarily the best shot, and now that it's 6 months later, I would do it differently. But I still think this is a good alternative to tone mapping HDR. It looks very much like we see it with our eyes. But that's just my opinion, I think I'm in the minority on the HDR debate.

Clear by ibenick, on Flickr

I know that I'm super late to the party here, but...this still might help you or other peeps out...I'm really bad at staying on top of forums.

if you have CS5 you can also hdr process 1 file after you open it regularly in PS. go to IMAGE -> ADJUSTMENTS -> HDR TONING. and then play around with the box. Shadows and highlights under adjustments is also a good tool to play around with

another option you have if you don't want to pay for photomatix is on camera raw bump up the recovery and fill light to your desired level. also be sure to play with the clarity and contrast as those help bring them back to looking real-ish

I have liked the results much better using bracketed photos instead of a single RAW and I can echo Nick's sentiment that the photomatix fusion helps keep the image out of cartoon territory. Not to say I am an authority on it, just to share my experiences. I processed these with the exposure fusion and +-1 bracketed exposures.
waterpocket pano 3 by NateGeesaman, on Flickr

I have liked the results much better using bracketed photos instead of a single RAW and I can echo Nick's sentiment that the photomatix fusion helps keep the image out of cartoon territory. Not to say I am an authority on it, just to share my experiences. I processed these with the exposure fusion and a +-1 bracketed exposures.

That's awesome. Lately, I don't seem to like anything done in standard HDR details enhancer processing, even if it's done well, if it looks like HDR, I'm just not a fan. Maybe for rusty/crusty stuff it's cool but landscape, etc., no thanks. I like stuff like your shot because it looks real. It looks like what I see with my eye. Yes, it has a high dynamic range, but it doesn't look at all like an HDR. The way it ought to be. Go Fusion!