Hand held GPS

powderglut

In search of Fresh
There are so many different GPS's. Just looking for something not to complicated to use, sturdy and reliable. Any input is appreciated.

I use a Garmin 60csx, older model. If I was going to replace it I'd get a Garmin 62S. Personally I think the Garmin's are in the top spot....

I use a Delorme PN-60W SE and TNA10 software. Both working nice for me.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

I just bought a Garmin eTrex 30. You can go to GPSFileDepot and load free topo maps on the unit. I used in a few times on my last trip to Robbers Roost area and it worked perfectly. It boots up and finds a signal within a minute or 2. I was thinking about going with the Garmin 62 GPSMAP, but that gps is much larger and is over kill for what I do. I just use it to locate where I am on the map. Loading topo maps on the unit makes it easier to find your location on a paper map. The screen is too small to give you an overview of the area where you at. Better to bring along a paper map for that, or get a GPS with a larger screen.

Thanks you guys. I'd still value a few more opinions. Good or bad. Thanks.
Michael, i would definitely consider the Delorme, but.. they don't seem to consider an Apple as a worthy system to sync with.

I've used Garmin units over the years and have dabbled with what DeLorme has to offer with their InReach unit. Not a GPS but I feel it's a good idea of what they sell. And from that, I think they all totally suck. It's ridiculous how the dedicated GPS device is like 10 years behind the rest of technology. But from whats out there, I'd go with a Garmin for sure. I use a Garmin Oregon 450. It's smallish, pretty light and runs for 3-4 days on a set of AA lithium batteries (half that on others). The UI is terrible and it lacks a lot, but it does the job for the most part and I don't think anything else is all that much better. I definitely prefer their touchscreen interface over the units with buttons, simply because the way they do the buttons is very counter-intuitive to me.

This is what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B00313JX4W&linkCode=as2&tag=backcountrypo-20

powderglut,
I know there's some trouble w/ Apple.
I don't have Apple. :(
I'm not sure, but boot camp or so can help.
I ask a friend, he's on Mac, tomorrow.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

The UI is terrible and it lacks a lot, but it does the job for the most part and I don't think anything else is all that much better. I definitely prefer their touchscreen interface over the units with buttons, simply because the way they do the buttons is very counter-intuitive to me.
The UI? And.... don't you have to buy into Garmins local mapping for better accuracy?

UI = User Interface.

They all suck. I'm with Nick. This seems to be a technology stuck in the past. I had a Magellan, and didn't like it before getting the Garmin eTrex that I have now.

Its probably 5 years old, but it works, and I don't get lost, but it and all the ones I look at every year seem so lacking.

UI never bothered me. Don't have anything Apple so I don't know about that. Garmin maps here (free), work Ok. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/. I went ahead and bought my 24K maps, thay are better. Split the cost with a buddy. My 60csx (62 is similar) works really good under trees and in most canyons (depends on direction they are running). I use mine mainly for keeping my backpacking track so its on about 8hrs, I get about day and half with one set Alkaline batteries. Mines really accurate to about 50 ft. Garmins Basecamp (computer program) is weird, I use the old Garmin Mapsource program. Don't particulary care for touch screens. I know the Oregons (I think) used to have brightness problems in full daylight. Don't suck in to getting aerial photos......screens are to small for any use.

BUT, you still need to be able to use a map and compass as a primary !

google should release a gps.
I think they just rely on their phones. I use my Note II alot with an app called GPS Essentials. Never gotten me lost

I think they just rely on their phones. I use my Note II alot with an app called GPS Essentials. Never gotten me lost

Smartphones really have chewed up a lot of the market for handheld GPS units. The quality is such now that any device capable of storing high-resolution map tiles with a half-decent GPS antenna will cover you across the continental U.S. The biggest problems for smartphones in backcountry use is their fragility and power consumption.

I've been using a Garmin 450 for a few years. Pretty "meh..." on it. Gets the job done, but I don't like the form factor (kind of bulky for front pants pocket), the UI (it just sucks), or the screen (it kinda sucks too...).

Last couple times I've used a handheld GPS, including BP'ing the Uintas last weekend, I've just used my Galaxy S4. It weighs under 5 oz. and has a much nicer screen than the Garmin 450. Fits a lot nicer in my front pocket too. So far, for how I typically use a handheld, which is just an occasional position fix or check on progress, I'm liking the phone-as-GPS more than the 450.

I didn't research apps at all, just hit the play store and grabbed the first app that came up, GAIA GPS. Couple quirks about the app I'm not in love with - like I can't find a setting for "track up", but it has worked just fine. If I ever get any time to play with it, I'd like to see if there is a different GPS app for the phone I might like better though.

Anyway... For now, for me, the S4 has officially replaced the Garmin 450 as my handheld GPS. Kind of nice that it can also replace my iPod. And if I really wanted to go that far, even my camera.

- DAA

I've had a Garmin Foretrex 401 for a couple of years and like it a lot. The user interface sucks but no worse than other GPSes. It gets good battery life and comes with a wrist strap, which makes it act like a very clunky watch. It's pretty small and light so it often comes backpacking with me as a backup plan even when I don't plan to use a GPS. It seems to have a good receiver and has gotten a good fix even when much of the southern sky is occluded. Takes the same AAA batteries as my headlamp, so I can swap batteries around depending on what's running short. Currently $174 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EOSQII/?tag=backcountrypo-20

I've been using a Garmin 450 for a few years. Pretty "meh..." on it. Gets the job done, but I don't like the form factor (kind of bulky for front pants pocket), the UI (it just sucks), or the screen (it kinda sucks too...).

Last couple times I've used a handheld GPS, including BP'ing the Uintas last weekend, I've just used my Galaxy S4. It weighs under 5 oz. and has a much nicer screen than the Garmin 450. Fits a lot nicer in my front pocket too. So far, for how I typically use a handheld, which is just an occasional position fix or check on progress, I'm liking the phone-as-GPS more than the 450.

I didn't research apps at all, just hit the play store and grabbed the first app that came up, GAIA GPS. Couple quirks about the app I'm not in love with - like I can't find a setting for "track up", but it has worked just fine. If I ever get any time to play with it, I'd like to see if there is a different GPS app for the phone I might like better though.

Anyway... For now, for me, the S4 has officially replaced the Garmin 450 as my handheld GPS. Kind of nice that it can also replace my iPod. And if I really wanted to go that far, even my camera.

- DAA
Try backcountry navigator. You get a free trial for 30 days. I like it because I can put my phone on airplane mode and still have a map. I do have to save a file of the area I'll be in ahead of time but it's quite simple. If I use the tracking device it kills battery faster so every now and then I'll update my location.

Try backcountry navigator. You get a free trial for 30 days. I like it because I can put my phone on airplane mode and still have a map. I do have to save a file of the area I'll be in ahead of time but it's quite simple. If I use the tracking device it kills battery faster so every now and then I'll update my location.
I just used this app this weekend in the uintas. So far, so good. I don't track my path, so no worries with battery consumption.