Hammock vs. tent camping

Just a bump for an old thread. There are a couple of other Hammock threads too. I see in the above that several of you were going to go "all Hammock" this summer and I am hoping to get the feedback on how it went. ???

I keep wanting to go hammock...but just never make the jump. I have a hard time keeping warm in the mountains and in fact I usually fill a liter bottle with hot water and keep it at my feet at night while tent camping. When I read about getting an underquilt "system", and a down quilt for the top, and a tarp, and maybe an underpad, and a pillow for under my knees I start thinking.....hmmm......this is starting to sound more complicated that just throwing the Kelty two man or Alps 3 man in. ??

I do have a simple one that I take, but just for lounging and thinking about being too lazy to assemble my flyrod ;) Never been in one for more than a couple of hours.

View attachment 33097

Awesome picture!

I am a Hennessy Hammock guy. I have the Expedition Asym Classic and really like it. it is not ultra light weight, but my hammock sleep system is comparable to a light weight single person tent. I recently replaced the orginal cord with Amsteele Blue whoopie slings. LOVE them! making that swap saved me a few more ounces, but what it really did was simplify my setup immensely!

all in all, i love my hammock anytime I can get away with it. For extra insulation I use Klymit Inertia half pad. that thing weights less than 6 oz and gives my butt and shoulders the insulation they need to stay warm in freezing temps. I stick it inside my sleeping bag so it doesn't slide around. that setup works really well for me. its not a down under quilt, but ya know, it works!

additionally, the Hennessy can be set up with trekking poles for an emergency bivy. if you can't find a tree and need some bug protection and a simple rain shelter. it will work OK on the ground.

Last edited:
ha ha......I started thinking about getting a hammock setup again and decided to search threads here. And....I find this one where i was thinking the same thing a year ago. Time for me to decide :) Stop searching the web and just get one.....or not :) Decisions decisions.

ha ha......I started thinking about getting a hammock setup again and decided to search threads here. And....I find this one where i was thinking the same thing a year ago. Time for me to decide :) Stop searching the web and just get one.....or not :) Decisions decisions.

It's a rabbit hole, to be sure. I will say thought that a quality top quilt like something from Hammock Gear can double as a warm weather sleeping bag replacement.

I'm currently waiting for Dream Hammock to produce my order (single-layer Darien) that should both cut significant weight from my current hammock and provide some bug protection. When hammock camping works, I prefer it. But I'm not getting rid of my tent.