Halls Creek Bay

Nick

-
The anticipation of staring at a new boat in my driveway proved to be overwhelming. This past weekend @slc_dan and I, along with a pack of puppies made the drive down to Glen Canyon to test out the new vessel. We stopped short of Bullfrog the first night and camped out at Little Egypt. The mild weather this winter has made for some great camping and this trip was no exception.

lake-powell-halls-creek-1.jpg

The next morning we loaded up quickly and headed south to Bullfrog. The plan was to just get out on the water and break out the stove for coffee and breakfast while we broke in the engine, slowly cruising around the bay. I've never really launched a real boat like this before, so seeing the current state of the ramp at Bullfrog was a little intimidating.
lake-powell-halls-creek-2.jpg

Launching went smoothly and soon I was drifting around the docks, waiting for Dan to come back from driving the truck back up. No one to be seen anywhere.
lake-powell-halls-creek-3.jpg

We had to drive pretty slow for a while but that was plenty of time to get some coffee made. It was nice to finally throttle it up for the first time and see how she rides. lake-powell-halls-creek-5.jpg lake-powell-halls-creek-6.jpg lake-powell-halls-creek-7.jpg

We decided to head south from Bullfrog toward Lake Canyon and eventually Halls Creek Bay. We noticed this nice pothole arch along the way and had to stop and take a look.
lake-powell-halls-creek-8.jpg
lake-powell-halls-creek-9.jpg

Lake Canyon
lake-powell-halls-creek-10.jpg
lake-powell-halls-creek-12.jpg

We cruised around Lake Canyon and fished a bit but the only thing we caught were a couple of trees. It was kind of exciting until we realized they just didn't want to fight back. And then I broke my pole in half. :( So with that, we moved on to the sunny main channel and to our next destination: Halls Creek Bay.

lake-powell-halls-creek-13.jpg

Being so new to all of this, there were some interesting moments picking the right channel on the way into Halls, but we navigated well.
lake-powell-halls-creek-14.jpg

We saw a few boats in Halls Creek throughout the day but the water was typically smooth and glassy. That's the Waterpocket Fold there on the left.
lake-powell-halls-creek-15.jpg lake-powell-halls-creek-16.jpg

Our first attempt at beaching.
lake-powell-halls-creek-17.jpg
Nikita was happy to be able to come along on this trip. She can barely make it up and down the stairs lately so this one was right up her alley.

lake-powell-halls-creek-19.jpg

Dan and Mya yakking around Halls.
lake-powell-halls-creek-20.jpg

Mya decided to leave the boat a little early.
lake-powell-halls-creek-21.jpg

After dinner, the sun went down on our camp, so we decided to drive across the bay and catch the last rays (and hopefully some fish). Success on the sun, no go on the fish.
lake-powell-halls-creek-22.jpg

Back at camp, we discovered tumbleweeds burn quite well.
lake-powell-halls-creek-23.jpg lake-powell-halls-creek-24.jpg

I slept on the boat again that night which I really enjoyed. The next morning was nice and we took our time moving on. I was interested to see whether Sage would ride in the kayak with me and sure enough, she was happy to. She even walked down the top of the boat to hop in.

lake-powell-halls-creek-26.jpg
Pic taken by Dan of me and Sage paddling around camp.

lake-powell-halls-creek-27.jpg
After loading up, we headed back out to try our luck fishing a bit more. We found a nice little bend and stopped to cook breakfast. The water was so calm we didn't even have to think about putting down an anchor. Beautiful reflections were plentiful.

lake-powell-halls-creek-28.jpg lake-powell-halls-creek-29.jpg
Exploring a small side canyon on our way out of Halls Creek Bay.

lake-powell-halls-creek-31.jpg
End of the road.

lake-powell-halls-creek-32.jpg
The fish simply were not cooperating, not surprising given the time of the year and our lack of experience. After trying a few more spots, we made out way back to Bullfrog. Loading the boat proved to be quite a bit more challenging than unloading. The launching area is nearly level so backing in enough to get the bunks underwater was nearly impossible.

lake-powell-halls-creek-33.jpg

This trip was really nice but mostly served the purpose of breaking in the engine and just making it so I can wait until better weather and longer trips. I was very pleased with how the boat handled as well as the comfort and gear/people carrying capacity. Should be perfect for some extended trips and accessing some pretty remote canyons. If only I could think of a good name for her...

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I wish I'd known you were down there... I came through Hite on my way home from Cedar Mesa and would have diverted down lake to join in the fun.

The water was a brisk 45˚ so we didn't do much swimming, just a little wading to get the kayak on and off the boat. Not bad when it's sunny out though. Sage loved the boat but hated it when we would fish. I think it freaked her out that we were focusing on something she didn't understand. She's going to freak when she finally sees us pull a fish out.

Dang, I wish I had said something, Dave! I would have loved to have you join us. I almost posted an invite here but never did.

Hell yeah.

I love the pic of me screaming like a mad man. I swear I was only so excited because I was doing my part to destroy an exotic/invasive species. o_O

As much fun as we had, I think the dogs got the most out of this one.

AWE-mazing photos! You make this landlubber wish she enjoyed the water.
Those glassy shots......what can I say.....awe....

Nice. I have always chuckled at the name "Seaward" kinda more for ocean vessles though. You should name it some play on the pack of pups bound to be on-board. "Nikita's Day Dream" maybe

AHHHHHH! I am dying to get out there this year. Guess I'm gonna have to go un tarp the boat now and head out. Great pics. Very nice. We were at that arch last year jumping off it, doesn't look like there is much of a water landing below it now and the level at the dock, Holy Cow! That lake is going backwards, not looking good for much fun down there this year. Although, there might be some more slot canyons opening up, may have to go poke around a bit. Thanks for the report Nick.

Thanks, everyone. :)

You should name it some play on the pack of pups bound to be on-board. "Nikita's Day Dream" maybe

I think you're on to something there, Nate. Seriously.

Looks like an awesome trip. Can I get some info on the boat? Make and model?

It's a 2013 Bennington 22 SSX with a Yamaha 90hp outboard engine. It was leftover inventory from last year so we were able to get a pretty good deal on it. If you'd told me 6 months ago that I'd own a pontoon boat come February, I would have laughed my ass off, but after kayaking Powell last fall and thinking through all the pros and cons, it just made sense. Relatively cheap to buy, operate and maintain and tons of room for family, friends, gear and dogs. Also virtually unsinkable and great long term resale value. We're very pleased with it so far.

Thanks, everyone. :)

I think you're on to something there, Nate. Seriously.

It's a 2013 Bennington 22 SSX with a Yamaha 90hp outboard engine. It was leftover inventory from last year so we were able to get a pretty good deal on it. If you'd told me 6 months ago that I'd own a pontoon boat come February, I would have laughed my ass off, but after kayaking Powell last fall and thinking through all the pros and cons, it just made sense. Relatively cheap to buy, operate and maintain and tons of room for family, friends, gear and dogs. Also virtually unsinkable and great long term resale value. We're very pleased with it so far.
Have I got a deal for you. I just picked up a used 13 foot Old Town canoe. It's nice, real nice. It will handle up to a five HP motor. Now I would be willing to trade you straight across. I know this trade is a little unfair so if you can pony up a little cash to sweeten the pot you got a deal. :roflmao:

Nice. I have always chuckled at the name "Seaward" kinda more for ocean vessles though. You should name it some play on the pack of pups bound to be on-board. "Nikita's Day Dream" maybe
How about the minnow? You could take people on a three hour tour...

An old superstition says that renaming a boat dooms it. Just saying

Looks like a nice, relaxing trip. Lake Powell covered many cool sites and it brings the hordes to the area in the summer but in my limited experience, it can be a decent place in the off-season. I grew up in a family with a boat and only cared about water-skiing as a teen but my outdoor preferences have drastically changed as an adult. Back in my youth I thought pontoon boats were so lame. Now however, I would love one as far as boats go. They're the ultimate party-on-the-water vehicle!