Guided River Trips

Nick

-
Has anyone here done any guided whitewater river trips? Like Cataract or perhaps the Grand Canyon? I'd love to try one out sometime. I considered getting into rafting and actually buying one, but the dog unfriendliness, costs and complicated logistics made me rule it out. That and my wife would never go with me. She's much happier with flat water and an outboard motor to push us around. But I think I'd be willing to shell out some bucks to experience some of those places I won't otherwise. I was kind of thinking of trying a Cataract tour and then maybe someday doing a big Grand Canyon tour. I've never really been into the idea of a guided tour anywhere, but it seems like the only reasonable choice for places like that. Anyone have any recommendations, opinions or thoughts on companies or itineraries? Or just want to take me with on your river trip? ;)

I'm little biased, but if you want whitewater, you need to go to Idaho.
Payette rivers, Salmon rivers, Snake river, and Lochsa river to name a few.
Or the Snake River near Jackson has a fun stretch too.

If you are interested in doing a trip there i can get more info for you.

The full enchilada down the Grand is prob #1 on my bucket list.

Whitewater is one aspect, but the remote desert canyons are the real appeal for me. Particularly the grand. Idaho and other mountain type trips would be awesome to do with friends, but I probably would never pay for a guided service for it.

The full enchilada down the Grand is prob #1 on my bucket list.

If you ever book it, I'd be right there with you. Part of my hesitation is doing it alone (even though I'd be with a ton of guides and strangers).

I think it would be awesome. A friend of mine did 9 days on the Colorado and said it was one of the best trips of his life (and he's been everywhere).

The other place I'd pay to do a guided trip is Alaska.

Went down the Grand Canyon from Lee's Ferry to Lake Meade back in 1972 on the big rafts ........ on a geology field trip. Even got college credit for it. Way worth it. Have hitched rides twice in the canyon on rafts.

Pretty expensive now or you have to be lucky for the lottery. Always find someone to take you if you win.

I'm little biased, but if you want whitewater, you need to go to Idaho.
Payette rivers, Salmon rivers, Snake river, and Lochsa river to name a few.
Or the Snake River near Jackson has a fun stretch too.

If you are interested in doing a trip there i can get more info for you.

My neighbor is a hardcore kayaker and says there are hardly any rivers in Utah worth doing. He always heads up to Idaho.

Utah rivers are more of a scenic easy float, not what you'd call whitewater.

Try the Logan, Weber, Escalante, DD, Green during spring run off ........ not the easy float.

you can find whitewater in Utah, especially during spring runoff. But in comparison it's not even close.

Hatch used to be decent. Arizona River Runners is still around, they were good. They both have 12 dayers for around $3500.00.

Lots of inflation since I went...... I paid $250.

My neighbor is a hardcore kayaker and says there are hardly any rivers in Utah worth doing. He always heads up to Idaho.

I'm a whitewater kayaker, but the coolest run I've ever been on is the Chute of Muddy Creek. It's subjective, I have plenty of kayak friends who wont paddle unless its class 4/5. They're more into the rush, rather than the surroundings. I agree that Utah doesn't have that much world class whitewater, but scenery it wins hands down. If you like the desert and stuff.

If you EVER get a chance to float the Grand Canyon, do it. Best 23 days of my life.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Canyoneering guided- Hanksville Canyoneering 0
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 4
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
kwc Savage River, Denali NP Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
kwc Cedar River Flow, Central Adirondacks On The Water 1
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
Georgia Yankee Snake River; Wolverine, Coulter, Pilgrim Creeks, July-Aug. 2022 Backpacking 18
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Gila River - Gila Wilderness, New Mexico - April 18, 2022 Backpacking 61
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
marquiri Wind River Range - September 2022 Trip Planning 31
P Yellowstone Snake River weekend Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Northern Wind River Traverse (Bridger/Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - September 2021 Backpacking 16
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 22
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
Noun Sequitur Jemez River, Las Conchas Trail and Beyond Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River Blowdown Trip Planning 2
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15