Gros Ventre Wilderness

JeffG

This trip took place a couple weeks ago before the Sawtooth trip I posted. I took my wife and 14 yo son around a 34 mile loop in the Gros Ventre Wilderness. I put together a route that starts at the Granite Hot Springs then up Granite Creek and goes over a couple of passes before descending into upper Cache Creek just east of Jackson. From upper Cache Creek we connected with the Granite Highline Trail and followed that all the way back to the Granite Creek Rd. From there we walked about 1.6 miles along the road back to our car. The first day we hiked about 11 miles up Granite Creek and camped. Granite Creek Canyon is beautiful and the wild flowers were out in force. The second day started out with a climb to Turquoise Lake. The basin in upper Granite Creek was my favorite part of our whole route, very scenic. We climbed a pass after leaving Turquoise Lake and were greeted with a view of the Tetons. From the pass we dropped into the basin for upper Flat Creek for a short distance before going over another pass above Cache Creek. We dropped quite a ways down into upper Cache Creek. This was my least favorite part of the trip. It was overgrown and there were lots of biting flies of some sort. In upper Cache Creek we connected with the beginning of the Granite Highline Trail. We followed the Granite Highline Trail up and out of the Cache Creek drainage. On the ridge above Cache Creek it was hard to locate the trail. The trail was really overgrown and I could tell it gets very little traffic. We spotted some Elk above us and watched them a couple minutes before moving on. The Granite Highline Trail is pretty but it can be very hard to follow in spots. People without decent navigation skills could have some trouble. It was also overgrown enough to make travel fairly tedious in places as well. Despite those issues it was still an enjoyable hike. We found a great place to camp for our second night with great views. The third day we continued on the Granite Highline Trail. We dropped into the upper Boulder Creek drainage and took a short break. When I got up and started hiking again I noticed a bunch of Elk coming down from a ridge behind us. They did not see us so we stopped and watched them. They were descending out of some trees and just kept coming and coming. It was a large herd of Cows and Calves. We watched them for around 20 minutes as the herd dropped into the valley above us and cross it and go up the other side and over the ridge. My wife got some good video but I don't think I can post it on here. We made our way back to where the Granite Highline Trail ends at the Granite Creek Rd. It was a short 1.6 mile hike up the road back to our car. My wife took a dip in the hot springs while my son and I decided to wash off in the creek. It was a fun loop and we had plenty of solitude. We only saw two day hikers in upper Cache Creek and that was the only two people we saw on food the entire loop. There were a couple small groups of horse packers in Granite Creek. Other than that we had the place to ourselves. We didn't see a single person on the entire 15 mile stretch of the Granite Highline Trail. I have another route in the Gros Ventre that I want to go back and try in the near future that I believe would be even better.

Colter Flowers.jpg
My son heading up Granite Creek Canyon

ColterFlowers2.jpg
Lots of flowers in Granite Creek Canyon

Scenery.jpg
Looking into upper Granite Creek basin. Upper Granite Creek/Turquoise lake basin was my favorite part of the route. Very beautiful.

Turquoise Lake.jpg
Turquoise Lake

AleciaAndColter.jpg
My wife and son in upper Granite Creek basin.

TetonView.jpg
Got a view of the Tetons from the pass between Granite Creek and Flat Creek. The picture does not do the view justice.

Camp.jpg
Camp on the second night.

Thanks for sharing some where not a lot of people go.

Thanks a bunch. Wish we could get Shoal Creek added to the Wilderness. Another awesome area of the Gros Ventre is the Six Lakes.

What lovely flowers!
Great share! Digging the mosquito face shield, I am thinking I need to invest one too. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Gros Ventre Wilderness - June 2021 Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Invite Gros Ventre Wilderness, June 11th-13th Meet Up (Members Only) 5
D Recommendations in the Gros Ventre and Washakie Wilderness Areas Trip Planning 10
scatman The Gros Ventre Wilderness - August 31, 2015 Backpacking 33
Aldaron Tosi Creek, Gros Ventre Wilderness, WY Backpacking 5
stretch Most Scenic Route to Traverse the Gros Ventre? Trip Planning 17
ramblinman Gros Ventre Loop July 2016 Backpacking 10
Aldaron Gros Ventre and such Off Road 1
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 38
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
shredhiker Ansel Adams Wilderness October 2023 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Bob Marshall Wilderness - September 2023 Backpacking 8
marquiri Uncompahgre Wilderness Trip Planning 13
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Invite Bob Marshall Wilderness, September 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
Bob Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 2
shredhiker Eagles Nest Wilderness June 30 2023 Backpacking 7
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
forest dweller The story of a frustrated middle aged suburban wilderness lover! General Discussion 35
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
canadug Jarbidge Wilderness General Discussion 12
C Teton Wilderness Early July Trip Planning 16
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
balzaccom These guys had quite the wilderness experience... General Discussion 0