Grizzly bears in Wind River Mountains

Tetonrick

Hello,

just reaching out for some information on grizzly bear activity at some high lakes up Blc drainage. I have an unconfirmed story from a reliable person about a dramatic encounter and wanted to see if other could share if they have had the same observations while heading up to fish

thx. Rw

Is "Blc" Bull Lake Creek? If so, I've heard that the areas higher up on both forks of the creek have some of the higher grizzly concentrations in the range. For me, that's all the more reason to go! As long as you've got a buddy or two that are willing to join you, of course.

Definitely! Knowing apex predators are around adds to the excitement and enforces taking all precautions seriously. Heard about encounters along North Fork of Bull Lake Creek for several years but it's still rare. That area is remote and the bears prefer avoiding people. Also good habitat. But they're all over the range now.

Now several years ago a Grizzly Bear was known to have been in the area of the Lower Popo Agie River and the Sinks Canyon Area outside of Lander. Yes Grizzly Bears are known to occur all over this range now, but maybe still more rare in some parts of the range though. But personally I trust Grizzlies more then most people for they do not stab me in the back. And thru my years of hiking I have had many close encounters to Grizzly Bears and I am still all in one piece and still here in the land of the living.

Wishing Everyone the Best!

Now several years ago a Grizzly Bear was known to have been in the area of the Lower Popo Agie River and the Sinks Canyon Area outside of Lander. Yes Grizzly Bears are known to occur all over this range now, but maybe still more rare in some parts of the range though. But personally I trust Grizzlies more then most people for they do not stab me in the back. And thru my years of hiking I have had many close encounters to Grizzly Bears and I am still all in one piece and still here in the land of the living.

Wishing Everyone the Best!
Thanks for the reply’s all! I am somewhat comfortable with griz bears so long as there has not been a drought or other factor making them hungry. I want to catch some GDT up in that area. Any suggestions?

Definitely! Knowing apex predators are around adds to the excitement and enforces taking all precautions seriously. Heard about encounters along North Fork of Bull Lake Creek for several years but it's still rare. That area is remote and the bears prefer avoiding people. Also good habitat. But they're all over the range now.
Thanks for the reply’s all! I am somewhat comfortable with griz bears so long as there has not been a drought or other factor making them hungry. I want to catch some GDT up in that area. Any suggestions?

For the goldens: Jake's money clip or super duper, brass colored works well. Often they are very deep and the bite is usually slow. I have never been successful getting any on the fly yet. Rich Osthoff's book on fly fishing the Rockies has info that though a bit dated will still point you in the right direction for finding the fish you want.

Flying monkey

+1 on Rich's book. Talked to him last year and he was very helpful. He keeps in close contact with what areas are producing at any given time. Doing the detective work to find the location of Flying Monkey is also fun. Most Bull Lake Creek locations are worth testing.

Other than that I should disqualify myself as I still have yet to catch one!! I have heard from multiple sources that just after ice out is the best time. Unfortunately for me, I always visit in September. Then it's a matter of being in one lake long enough to find the fish + for them to be interested in what you're using and how you're using it (I also use the Jake's and a spin/fly rig with Rich's mega scud).

The visit to the lower Fitz is worth it, regardless of fishing luck or griz.

Last edited:
+1 on Rich's book. Talked to him last year and he was very helpful. He keeps in close contact with what areas are producing at any given time. Doing the detective work to find the location of Flying Monkey is also fun. Most Bull Lake Creek locations are worth testing.

Other than that I should disqualify myself as I still have yet to catch one!! I have heard from multiple sources that just after ice out is the best time. Unfortunately for me, I always visit in September. Then it's a matter of being in one lake long enough to find the fish + for them to be interested in what you're using and how you're using it (I also use the Jake's and a spin/fly rig with Rich's mega scud).

The visit to the lower Fitz is worth it, regardless of fishing luck or griz.
I usually go in late aug or sept.... Manage to catch a fair share of gold.... Largest is 23 " on a Jake's at FM.......

Nice! Always good to know I'm not carrying fishing gear for nothing. Heard it's hit-or-miss from several folks, including FM. Spent 2 days on Middle Fk lakes with no luck 2 yrs back. Ran into just 2 other fisherman that trip with the same luck. Thought about heading to FM but an incoming storm system changed my mind! No luck last year in the Popo Agie at an offtrail lake that was productive just 2 wks earlier. Heavy wind straight on when I was fishing near the outlet. For all I know, the fish could have been elsewhere or simply not interested at that time (mid-day). Gave up after 3hrs. Lil Jake (gold with red dots) 4lb fluorocarbon.

Nice! Always good to know I'm not carrying fishing gear for nothing. Heard it's hit-or-miss from several folks, including FM. Spent 2 days on Middle Fk lakes with no luck 2 yrs back. Ran into just 2 other fisherman that trip with the same luck. Thought about heading to FM but an incoming storm system changed my mind! No luck last year in the Popo Agie at an offtrail lake that was productive just 2 wks earlier. Heavy wind straight on when I was fishing near the outlet. For all I know, the fish could have been elsewhere or simply not interested at that time (mid-day). Gave up after 3hrs. Lil Jake (gold with red dots) 4lb fluorocarbon.
That's Pretty Much my exclusive use. I do carry panther Martin's super Soopers in assorted colors and some flys and scuds with a bubble. Gold's are the pickiest

Just back from 5 days around Golden and Upper Golden lakes. Saw grizzly scat (big dinner plate sized piles of poop full of white bark pine seeds). No bear sightings, and caught quite a few GTs on scuds and Elk hair caddis flies on Upper Golden.