Grizzlies in the Uintas

They need to update their map. They're all the way down to the south end of the Winds and probably in other areas not shown...

They need to update their map. They're all the way down to the south end of the Winds and probably in other areas not shown...

Interestingly I just attended a Griz presentation by the Idaho F&G last week and they had Griz as rare, occasional visitors to the North end of the Winds and not at the south.

I just saw this posted on KSL.

Petition calls for tripling number of grizzlies in West
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=30368765&nid=1070

I don't think I'd be too keen about having them in the Uintas. There's a comfort factor when hiking solo knowing there are no grizzlies to be concerned with. Even when in a group, grizzlies can be much more aggressive and dangerous than what we're used to with blacks.

Then again, it's still done all the time where there are grizzlies and attacks are still very rare. Would just have to be extra cautious and careful.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I'm good with keeping them out of Utah. If I want the grizzly experience I can head north. Although if they started reducing the cows and sheep in the Uintas it might be a worthy trade.

The comfort factor is definitely nice, but I'd give it up to have a more 'natural' wilderness environment. Meaning one that hasn't been greatly skewed by elimination of certain species. It's wild to read the comments on this kind of stuff on FB. Really strong emotions on both sides. I can totally see why a rancher wouldn't want the risk to his animals. And why a hunter is upset that the elk population is down from the reintroduction of wolves in greater Yellowstone. I just think that wild places should be left to work themselves out naturally. If we choose to raise animals on their borders, or sometimes within these wild places, then consequences should be expected. But then again, it sure is nice hiking solo in the Uintas. I don't know if I'd do that in grizzly country! :eek:

But then again, it sure is nice hiking solo in the Uintas. I don't know if I'd do that in grizzly country! :eek:

Don't forget the administrative hassle that comes with grizzlies. Bear canisters for the whole range, anyone? How about designated camping zones in the High Uintas Wilderness? I fear that probably more than I'd fear the actual bear.

Yep. There are a whole lot of side effects that need to be considered in such a movement. Not only would there be increased risk for hikers, campers, fishermen, etc, but grizzlies preying on the livestock up there would inevitably lead to some dead grizzlies. There must be a reason grizzlies were sought out and hunted down by early Utah settlers over black bears. Perhaps much of it had to do with dead livestock and other food sources people relied on.

And while I know black bears along with other big game animals live in all the current grizzly ranges, what kind of competition and burden would it place on the ecosystem that has since had to evolve since they were eradicated from Utah.

In my opinion, if they were to ever migrate this way naturally, they deserve to have a place back in the ecosystem. It sounds like they have a healthy and stable population throughout Alaska, Canada, Montana, and Yellowstone and have since expanded out into the Winds and parts of Idaho. I see no reason why they can't possibly grow and expand our direction on their own at some point in the distant future.

However, getting man involved in what I feel should be a more natural process sounds like a bad idea that could result in more harm than good on many levels.

Interestingly I just attended a Griz presentation by the Idaho F&G last week and they had Griz as rare, occasional visitors to the North end of the Winds and not at the south.
Just googled 'Grizzlies in the wind river range' and these 3 sites where the top on the list:

http://www.dailyranger.com/story.ph...arge-numbers-still-unlikely-in-southern-Winds

http://wyofile.com/kelsey-dayton/grizzly-bears-move-into-new-areas-lower-elevations/

http://www.nols.edu/alumni/leader/02summer/bearskeepout.shtml

Now personally if they do they do reintroduce grizzlies to the Uintas - that would be Awesome in my opinion. I personally have had many close encounters to grizzlies in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and elsewhere thru the years and trust them more then people. But this probably has a much chance as snowball in hell does. As for grizzlies in the Wind River Range, a few years ago a grizzly bear was seen on a webcam at the Lower Popo Agie Area outside of Lander, Wy. Do think that was the area but might be wrong. Personally if I had my wishes, I would reintroduce Grizzlies to back all over the west - back to the San Juans in Colorado and Colorado period, back to the Sierras in California, back to the Gila in New Mexico, back to all over the West where they used to be. Gooooo Grizzlies!!! But do know as most people are so afraid of the bears that all of this has again as much of a chance as a snowball in hell does. Personally in my interactions with grizzlies in the wilds thru the years, it seems the bears have more common sense and respect towards people then many people do. Just my opinion. Wishing Everyone the Best!

I would say that is not a good idea IMHO. The ecosystem has changed in the Uintas, making food sources for Grizzly's not as abundant. Plus the conflict with recreational users and ranchers running their livestock out there would for sure be a logistical nightmare for the managing agencies. Also, you better protect your dogs if they do. A Grizzly will eat your dog just like any other animal they encounter. Personally, I think it is not a good idea. I think you will have more problems then solve any wildlife issues by re-introducing them. But I am all for putting wolves back in the range. Yellowstone has proven that re-introducing them has done nothing but help the ecosystem top to bottom.

On the plus side, maybe it would reduce traffic out there in certain areas because people would be afraid to go camping out there because of the Grizzly Bear. :p

Hunters out on the east side of the range report seeing Grizzly Bears all the time. We talked to a guy at Center Park trail head that claims he has seen them more than a dozen times. I personally think it is species miss identification. Black Bears come in a cinnamon and blonde color as well. I have also heard of wolf sightings, which I tend to believe more than Grizzly sightings because wolves will travel farther distances than bears.

Last edited:
No thank you from the safety factor and the annoyance of having to carry a bear canister. Plenty of Grizzlies elsewhere, we don't need them in Utah.

Ecosystem has changed to much.....Undistrubed habitat is rare in Unitas. Human population and commotion is too much..... I think it would fail. Besides the livestock lobby is to strong.

It's a fools errand to proceed with the effort to put back grizzles anywhere.

Reactions: Bob
I'd be more than ok with grizzly bears migrating back to Utah and living in the Uintas, but reintroducing them does seem to be a bit more complicated. But as far as migration goes, it probably would be difficult for them to make the jump from the Wyoming and Wind River Ranges to the Uintas, with I-80 and a good chunk of desolate ranch land in between. Maybe down through Idaho, into the Logan area, and then over? No matter what happens, it does seem like they'd face a lot of hurdles.

I'm in the SE side of the Unitas and last spring my family came to visit. While hitting the touristy spots DNR officers told me of two recent grizzly incursions into our region. One was in near dinosaur and the other the book cliffs.

These are confirmed and there is a history of unofficial grizz bear migration through this region and my quick research has shown grizzly sightings all over Utah.

I've lived in Alaska and seen both black and brown bears and they have an extreme variety and easily mistaken however there is now grizzly bear listen in the mammal identification pamphlets.

With Grizzlies look for the big hump. Remember there have been monster blank bears 1000+ lbs. but Grizzlies do look unique if you study enough or have a little experience seeing both in the wild.

Moose and grizzly populations are growing in Utah and Colorado and the region in general from what I understand. I've seen Moose in the year I've lived here waiting on the Bears.

This is their natural habitat like the moose they will travel to places that suit them, where they once roamed.

Supposedly there is at least one surviving colony of Mexican grizzly bear in a mountainous region of Mexico. Why not here? Especially when they are common a few weeks walk to the north.

One interesting thing has been the sightings of wolves in the area as well. Becoming more common in the UT/WY/CO 3 corners here.

Another amazing local story I was informed of from a very respectable source described to me a Snow White 800 lbs monster black bear where I go. Wish me luck I want a pic.

Lastly I think it's funny that people would be concerned about solo hiking with grizzly when we already have 2 or 3 large predators in the area. Just be prepared.

Oh yeah post #1 here ;)