Greetings from Southern Utah

JulieKT

I've checked out posts on here for years and finally decided to make a profile. Grew up in SoCal but moved to southern Utah in 1999 and mostly have been here ever since. First went to a national park (Yosemite) when I was 5, first backpacking trip at age 9, first outdoor job at 20 (camp horse counselor in SoCal, we rode all over the dusty San Jacinto Mountains for 5 summers), professional wilderness therapy backpacker in so. Utah starting 2003, started recreational guiding here in 2002, all sorts of fun outdoor stuff since then. Have not of course explored nearly enough of my adopted state because you could spend every single day outside here your entire life and still not see it all! I love living in one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 and have no plans to leave. Although occasionally heading to cities for some good sushi, great bookstores, and maybe a movie or two is perfectly acceptable as well. :)

So basically I'm a wilderness guide, freelance writer, I like to ride horses, and I'm always interested in the history of the general southern Utah area as well as my home in Wayne County. I live by Capitol Reef. Happy to "meet" you all here, maybe I'll meet up with some of you on the trail someday.

Welcome! Enjoyed reading through your website

Welcome Julie! I live in SoCal and I plan to relocate to the Southwest in the next couple of years, too. Capitol Reef is one of my favorite places in Utah!

Already following you on Twitter, but Welcome to BCP Julie! You'll love it here.

Urgh, your life sounds just about perfect Julie. Hugely jealous. ;) Welcome!

Hi July: I grew up taking and then leading horse packt rips here in Teton and Fremont Counties, WY. I love horses but hardly ever ride anymore. I'm a VERY part time day hiking guide; guided the Adirondack Mt. Club in the Absarokas begining of August. I love the Colorado Plateau; Canyonlands, Cedar Mesa, etc. However I am in agreement with those that think Cpiatol Reef is the best NP ion Utah. Gotta love the Muley Twist. Man, Navajo Knobs when its windy can be scary. Hoping to get back down there for first time in 4 years next Spring.

You've got some awesome phjotographers in Torrey. Have an awesome fall and keep the Monkey Wrenching to a minimum, k? Heeh heeh.

Ha, no monkey wrenching here, @Absarokanaut. At least none that I would ever admit to. ;)

You should ride again! Of course I think almost everyone should ride horses, but I'm a little biased, ha. I just came off a few days guiding horseback rides in Grand Staircase-Escalante and on Boulder Mountain. It's a sweet life.

And yes, we have some excellent photographers based here. And endlessly fascinating landscape for taking photos. Hope you make it down here next spring. Which, btw, is the windiest season here.

Just came back from Capital Reef. Hoping to go back in the spring time to finish up the hike trails like Sulphur Creek and Navajo.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Greetings from southern AZ Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
cabshire Greetings from Ohio! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
porcupinerambler Greetings from NW WY Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Parashakti Greetings from Western Washington Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
E Greetings from Seattle Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
F Greetings from western NC Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Pichungo Greetings from California fellow outdoor enthusiasts Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
U greetings from southwest Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
randakag Greetings from Brooklyn! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Pianomover Greetings from northernmost California. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Hiker Seth Greetings from Maine Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
O Greetings from a Colorado Noob. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
David Rule Greetings from the Mid-West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 22
C Greetings from SC Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Gregg B. Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
T Greetings from the East Coast Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
RedRockRambler Greetings from a new noob in San Diego Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Joyce & Tom Greetings from Overland Park Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
F Greetings from Wisconsin Newbie Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
D Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
MarkintheHV Greetings from the Hudson Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Dirkules Greetings from Germany Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Papa Dave Greetings! And one quick question Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
JSDez23 Greetings From SLC Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
MVS Greetings from Wisconsin! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
hamtron5000 Greetings and Salutations from Western Colorado! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
LandOfLizards Greetings from Denver Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Opi Greetings from the badger state Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Gesenwein Greetings from Cortez Co. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
John Goering Greetings from SW Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Jeremy C Greetings from up north! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Chuck the Mauler Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
mak1277 Greetings Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
EastSiideRyda Greetings from the DMV Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
J Southern Waterpocket Fold Backpacking 7
kwc Another sunny day, another jaunt in the Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Spruce Mountain Fire Tower, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Another short jaunt in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
J A few weeks in Southern NV, AZ and CA deserts Nov 2022. Hiking & Camping 11
fossana New National Monument planned in Southern NV General Discussion 3
Shawn Gossman Howdy from Southern Illinois! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1