Great Basin NP and Crystal Ball Cave, UT

Christian

On Saturday my little brother and I headed down to Great Basin NP. Our first stop was the Lehman Caves. They are very impressive. If you go, get the 90 minute tour rather than the 30 or 60 minute tour. We got the 60 minute tour and it skipped a significant portion of the caves.

The first room in the Lehman caves v
IMG_9443.jpg

Other areas in the Lehman Caves v
IMG_9469.jpgIMG_9464.jpgIMG_9473.jpg

After that, we hiked to Stella and Teresa lakes up on Wheeler peak. Teresa is fed by a tranquil spring that flows through a picturesque grassy creek surrounded by Parry's Primrose. We missed the much anticipated Bristlecone grove due to the sun setting, so we headed back to the Wheeler peak campground under the light of the super moon.

Teresa Spring Moss and Parry's Primrose vIMG_9499.jpgIMG_9488.jpgIMG_9490.jpg

Wheeler Peak Sunset Alpenglow over Teresa Lake v
IMG_9563.jpg

I woke up at dawn the next morning to catch the first light on the peak.v

IMG_9629.jpg

After we broke camp we headed to Crystal Ball Cave in UT where we had a tour appointment. Jerald Bates, who discovered the caves and usually gives the tours, said he was getting too old to hike the trails up so his granddaughters did the tour instead. They knew a lot about the caves and were great tour guides. If you go, bring some money to tip your tour guide with, as they do this without asking a specific price. Crystal Ball is an amazing cave with the requisite stalactites and stalagmites but even more incredible are the sparkling, translucent crystals which grow on all the walls throughout the cave.

Driving down the poplar lane to the Bate's residence

IMG_9642.jpg

Translucent Crystals vIMG_9643.jpg

The Cupcake Room and the crystal balls growing from the floor for which the cave is named. v

IMG_9656.jpg

A naturally split crystal ball vIMG_9648.jpg

A horse Hoof from an ancient, miniature horse that existed before horses went extinct in the Americas v (They also have camelops bones, saber tooth tiger bones and more.)
IMG_9649.jpg

After the tour we went around mountain to visit the springs. Unlike what I'd read online, the springs were crowded with about 15 various people who came and went and tossed beer cans on the shore and smoked up a storm.

IMG_9698.jpg

Maybe the crowds are a result of people like me posting about places like this online. ;) Fortunately, the people who showed up didn't stay too long and none dared enter the AMAZING underwater cave that has maidenhair ferns and water trickles guarding the entrance. You can swim really far back into the cave and there is an underwater arch and an opening with water falling out from the depths of the earth. The ceiling of the cave is covered with travertine formations that drip and trickle out of all the spots on the ceiling. Some of the formations look like the slimy insides of a body or something. The light hitting the spring outside filters about halfway into the cave creating a magical blue glow.

Does it get more inviting than this cave entrance? vIMG_9668.jpg
IMG_9693.jpgIMG_9660.jpg

Tiny opening you have to swim under to access the secret "Fern Room" v P1010011.jpg

The big fern room v
P1010004.jpg

Under water in the small fern room v
P1010029.jpg

The magical blue glow which refracts halfway back into the cave v (No PS)
P1010047.jpg

Camera Half above, half below the water v (No PS)
P1010069.jpg

All the way underneath, looks more like something you'd find in the ocean than the barren deserts of Utah v (No PS at all, that's how it really looks!)
P1010067.jpg

This is the mountain where the spring is, which goes to show what a true Oasis it really is!! v
IMG_9705.jpg

As we drove home, I stopped to shoot photos of Notch Peak, which is one of the highest vertical cliff faces in the U.S. v

IMG_9738.jpgIMG_9704.jpgIMG_9754.jpg

The Great Basin area has it's own desolate charm, I especially liked the roadless, never-ending, golden flat lands that give way to solitary mountains with strangely cut rocky faces. v

IMG_9729.jpgIMG_9711.jpgIMG_9715.jpgIMG_9719.jpg

As the sun set and we go closer to Delta, I shot Notch Peak from behind at sunset. v

IMG_9766_2.jpg
We got back to SLC rather quickly, which makes Great Basin NP a prime repeat destination since it's closer to SLC than any other National Park! It was a GREAT 2 day trip!!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9487.jpg
    IMG_9487.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9632.jpg
    IMG_9632.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 47
Sweet!!! I'm heading to Great Basin NP in roughly a month and stay for a few days.
Your shots make me really excited for the upcoming trip.
Great shots of the Cave and Wheeler, I will bag it while there in the park. :)

Good to know about the Cave tour, so I will definitely get tickets for the 90 minutes tour

Nice pics........last I was there was before it became a NP. Leman Caves is a favorite for me.

Awesome! The blue pics are surreal, but my fave is the one of the cliffs with the diagonal lines. Very cool comp!

Crystal caves was on my list to go to this last year but never got around to it. .. I'm on for sure now

Thanks for the pics and the story. My wife and I happened along there in 2010 after an 8 day Yosemite trek. It was the First Annual astronomy festival. I don't know how many private atsronomers were there but telescopes from the size of VW vans to binoculars. It was great. The hiking there is great as well. We've pledged to go back frequently to hike every trail mile and then to explore whatever else we can. The caves are like the cream of the milk, or icing on the cake for this little gem of a National Park.
Thanks again for the TR.

Salud, amigo!

Wow thanks. I've been trying to think of another trip to possibly take this year and this just might have to be it.

I sure love the sedimentary rock stratigraphy in picture xxx ! You know the one, with alpenglow lighting and located just above the text "The Great Basin area..." It really IS a great photo and a great example of layering and upthrust at work. Mother Nature at work but that is too anthropomorphic a term...

I sure love the sedimentary rock stratigraphy in picture xxx ! You know the one, with alpenglow lighting and located just above the text "The Great Basin area..." It really IS a great photo and a great example of layering and upthrust at work. Mother Nature at work but that is too anthropomorphic a term...

Totally agree! This one, right?

img_9754-jpg.11428

Such a great photo, I had a hard time deciding between this and the underwater green light cave shots for the home page. Great stuff @Christian .

This park has been calling to me for a couple of years now. Not sure how much longer I can resist. I'd really like to chain a GBNP trip with a visit to Topaz.

This park has been calling to me for a couple of years now. Not sure how much longer I can resist. I'd really like to chain a GBNP trip with a visit to Topaz.

Topaz is a very quick stop. There isn't much left, mostly just a few cement pads where the barracks used to be.