Great article about a fellow adventure seeker

Vegan.Hiker

I thought about putting this in the “Outdoors News Stories” thread but this article is of a different nature than most of the articles in there, and is amazing enough to deserve it’s own thread imo. (Nick, please move if you see fit).

Besides being a nature lover, I’m also a big sports fan (although you won't need to be a sports fan to appreciate this article). I just read yesterdays feature article on ESPN.com about Daniel Norris, a top pitching prospect for the Blue Jays. It’s a long article but totally worth taking the time to read. When he received his 2 million dollar signing bonus after being drafted in the second round, he bought an old camper van which he lives in, hired a financial adviser to put all his money into safe, long –term investments, and to allot him $800 per month to live off. The article mentions him taking backpacking trips in the appalachians, hiking in Nicaragua, and how he plans to backpack the Canadian Rockies in Banff. It also mentions how during the off-season, he worked 40 hours per week for an outdoor outfitter in his hometown despite having 7 figures in the bank. I like how he can balance a minimalist lifestyle yet is a true professional at his craft. I can’t help but like this guy and root for him. He also wants to become an advocate for major league venues to become more environmentally conscious. Great stuff and I found it to be very inspiring.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...ue-jays-prospect-daniel-norris-lives-own-code

Btw - ESPN.com uses this weird format where the pictures don't scroll but the text below will appear if you continue to scroll down using the scroll bar on the right.

Last edited:
Just saw he pitched in spring ball the other day and shaved the beard like he said he would in the article.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc Great Camp Santanoni Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Technology is great ........... General Discussion 0
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
J Great to be here! Heading to White Pocket next month... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
chandlerwest Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak Hiking & Camping 13
Shrubs Thanks for the great reports! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
misSOULa The Great Burn Wilderness: Heart Lake Backpacking 3
Perry Great Packraft Deal Gear 2
scatman Little Cataloochee Trail, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - June 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Lynn Camp Prong Lollipop Loop, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - May 29, 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
Perry Great Deal on Gregory Baltoro Gear 0
Perry Great Deal on Sunto MC2 Compass Gear 0
Wanderlust073 Dayhiking Great Sand Dunes NP Hiking & Camping 4
slc_dan Great Smokey Mountains NP Trip Planning 12
T Pumping the Great Basin on a Handcar General Discussion 14
wsp_scott Clingman's Dome (Great Smoky Mountains NP) Backpacking 0
Nick Desha & Great Bend On The Water 7
TrektheWorld Need to find one great Uintas hike Trip Planning 1
WasatchWill Memorial Day: Another great trip to Torrey Hiking & Camping 11
scatman The Anthony Creek, Russell Field Trails Loop - Great Smoky Mountain National Park, June 10, 2016 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Gold Mine Loop Trail / Noland Trail - Great Smoky Mountain National Park, June 7, 2016 Hiking & Camping 3
hatchcanyon The Great Traverse Off Road 9
danger02ward Very much enjoy and appreciate all of your great pictures, trip reports, and gear reviews! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
dfcooper Great Divide Trail Trip Planning 1
Red Rock Rangers Great Basin National Park Hiking & Camping 10
Vegan.Hiker Great Range Traverse Part 1 Backpacking 19
Dustin Gent great first trek in Utah? Trip Planning 16
Bob Great Western Trail - Canada Resource Discussions 0
ogg Backpacking Ruby Mtns or Great Basin NP Trip Planning 9
Bob Winchester found in Great Basin NP General Discussion 0
steve Backpacking Great Basin NP Backpacking 18
LarryBoy Utah is great, isn't it? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Lisa Came for some trip beta, stayed for the great community... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
mattvogt7 A Great Weekend in July On The Water 10
Jeremy C The Great Bear Photographer General Discussion 5
steve Backpacking Great Basin National Park - June 2014 Backpacking 11
BJett Lower Big Creek - Great Smoky Mountains National Park On The Water 2
Dave Great Basin NP, Aug. 31- Sept. 2 2013 Backpacking 8
Christian Great Basin NP and Crystal Ball Cave, UT Hiking & Camping 16
Dave Kayaking the Great Salt Lake, June 1 2013 On The Water 10
Nick Great Salt Lake 5/9/13 Everything Else 6
Cody Great Western Trail through Utah Backpacking 41
Ericephoto Wheeler Peak, Great Basin National Park Everything Else 7
Nick Great places to live for outdoors lovers General Discussion 51
Nick Last of The Great Unknown now on iTunes General Discussion 0
Ranger Joe 9: The Great Colorado Expedition of 2012, pt9...Epilogue Off Road 4
Ranger Joe 8: The Great Colorado Expedition of 2012, pt8...Mosquito Pass and Webster Pass Off Road 0
Ranger Joe 7: The Great Colorado Expedition of 2012, pt7...hitting the slopes near Aspen Off Road 0
Ranger Joe 6: The Great Colorado Expedition of 2012, pt6...on to Schofield Pass Off Road 0