Grandeur Peak Loop - June 19, 2024

scatman

I had read that they recently had completed the Bonneville Shoreline Trail from the Pipeline Overlook back to the West Slope Trailhead for Grandeur Peak. Since I had the 19th off from work, I decided that I would check it out for myself.

I got an early 6:30 am start and headed up the west ridge to the summit of Grandeur. Once on top, I took some time to take some pictures and eat a snack. I then proceeded down the Church Fork Trail until I reached the intersection with the Pipeline Trail where I stopped and had lunch. After getting a bite to eat, I headed west along the Pipeline Trail all the way to the Pipeline Overlook. At the overlook, I took another break and enjoyed views of the Salt Lake Valley. I then verified that the new shoreline trail does indeed exist, and I took it back north to the Subaru waiting for me at the trailhead. Total loop distance is approximately 12 miles, with and additional mile added from the old trail due to all the switchbacks on the new section of the Shoreline Trail.

This report will have a lot of pictures of wildflowers, some good, some bad. It's definitely the right time to be on Grandeur if you like wildflowers, particularly in the Church Fork Drainage, but even the West Slope and the Pipeline Trail had impressive numbers of wildflowers still at their peak.

I loaded up my pack to 24 pounds to get some weight on my back hoping to get some training for my backpacking trips later this summer.

Grandeur_Peak_Loop_20000.jpg
Overview map - this shows the old trail that heads northwest back to the trailhead and not the new Bonneville Shoreline Trail. I'll have to work on getting that on the map. :)

01.jpg
The Sube at 6:30 am.

02.jpg
This is encouraging. I guess it must be there.

03.jpg
View of Grandeur from the west at the West Slope Trailhead

04.jpg
Sunrise on Mount Olympus to the south. I might be attempting Olympus with my son next Friday.

05.jpg
Sunrise on Stansbury Island to the west

06.jpg
REI down below on 3300 South. It will come into play later in my report

07.jpg
Vetch

08.jpg
Parleys Ridge to the north

09.jpg
A piece of the Dragon's Tail to the south, which is another route (the best in my book) up Grandeur

10.jpg
Evening primrose

11.jpg
12.jpg
Penstemons - The mule ears down low were pretty beaten up. They improved the higher I got on the western side of Grandeur

13.jpg
A steep ascent on the west side - roughly 3300 feet in two miles - even the switchbacks
don't offer a lot of relief for my old knees. :)

14.jpg
The eastern end of the Dragon's Tail

15.jpg
A nice thin layer of green shale paralleled the trail for a short distance

16.jpg
A bumblebee enjoying a flowering thistle

17.jpg
21.jpg
Hookers onions were plentiful throughout the hike

18.jpg
Biscuitroot

19.jpg
A dead mountain mahogany

20.jpg
Hawksbeard

22.jpg
The sun has finally caught me and this lone mountain Mahogany with the Dragon's Tail in the background

23.jpg
Grandview Peak to the north in the far distance. Lookout Peak is at the far upper left of the image too.

24.jpg
Perkins Peak on Parleys Ridge

25.jpg
Dale Peak on Parleys Ridge

26.jpg
Wasatch Beardtongue

27.jpg
Wild rose

28.jpg
Mule ears

29.jpg
Grandeur summit ahead

30.jpg
More Wasatch beardtongue

31.jpg
Larkspur

32.jpg
Slope full of mule ears

33.jpg
Sticky geranium

34.jpg
Horsemint

35.jpg
American Vetch

36.jpg
Mad it to the top

37.jpg
View of Olympus from the Grandeur summit

38.jpg
Triangle Peak across Millcreek Canyon - Lone Peak in the far distance

39.jpg
Mount Raymond

40.jpg
Gobblers Knob

41.jpg
Church Fork Peak, with Mount Aire just beyond to the east along the Millcreek Ridge

42.jpg
Scat summit shot with my sandbell to help weight down my pack

43.jpg
Deseret Peak way off to the west over the Oquirrh Mountains

48.jpg
Another shot of Deseret Peak taken with my 75-300 zoom lens and a 1.4X teleconverter. I had to manually focus this one.

More shots with the zoom and teleconverter

44.jpg
Lone Peak. In the foreground is the knifes edge ridge between Mount Olympus and Triangle Peak

45.jpg
Triangle Peak

46.jpg
The yurt on Church Fork Peak

47.jpg
Downtown Salt Lake City

49.jpg
This one is for @Janice - University of Utah, taken with just the 75-300 mm zoom lens

50.jpg
View up Millcreek Canyon

51.jpg
Sticky geraniums - Moving down into the Church Fork Drainage now. The wildflowers were tremendous in the drainage.

52.jpg
57.jpg
Yellow salsify

53.jpg
Lewis Flax

54.jpg
59.jpg
More roses

55.jpg
Skyrocket

56.jpg
Choke cherry and California ninebark - I remembered ninebark this time @Ugly. :thumbsup:

58.jpg
Groundsel

60.jpg
More skyrocket

61.jpg
Forget-me-nots

62.jpg
View down the Church Fork Drainage

63.jpg
Phacelia

64.jpg
Common yarrow

65.jpg
View of Grandeur peak from the Church Fork Trail

66.jpg
Globemallow

67.jpg
Cinquefoil

68.jpg
Solomon's seal

69.jpg
Ninebark

70.jpg
Lunch time at the junction of the Church Fork Trail and the Pipeline Trail

70b.jpg
Hound's tongue

71.jpg
72.jpg
Workhorses for this hike

73.jpg
View back up Millcreek Canyon from the Pipeline Tail

74.jpg
75.jpg
Penstemons on the Pipeline Trail

76.jpg
View across Millcreek Canyon

77.jpg
I guess this is why they call it the Pipeline Trail. :)

78.jpg
Grasshopper

79.jpg
Looking up at the summit of Grandeur from Scout Hollow

80.jpg
81.jpg
Views across the canyon

82.jpg
The Pipeline Trail becomes more exposed the further west you go on it

83.jpg
The switchbacks up Rattlesnake Gulch

84.jpg
Trail intersection sign

85.jpg
More onions

86.jpg
Fleabane

87.jpg
Toadflax

88.jpg
Forest Service Boundary

89.jpg
My old friend Olympus reappears

90.jpg
Last view up Millcreek

91.jpg
View of the switchbacks of the new section of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail as seen from the Pipeline Overlook. The old trail went
by the two water tanks at the lower left of the image

92.jpg
My last break at the overlook

93.jpg
The new Shoreline Trail, with Grandeur Peak above

94.jpg
Ran into this green caterpillar on the trail

95.jpg
Grand collomia

96.jpg
The old trail down below

97.jpg
Coming back around to the Dragon's Tail

98.jpg
Aargh! E-bike! I almost went full grizzly again @Rockskipper! Hate 'em!

99.jpg
Shoreline Trail heading towards the West Slope Trailhead

100.jpg
Spider Milkweed

101.jpg
Dropping down to the trailhead

102.jpg
Looking back up at Grandeur in the afternoon this time

103.jpg
Back at the Sube

104.jpg
Stopped by REI on the way home to recycle some bicycle innertubes and to pick up @TractorDoc a fuel canister for his backpacking
stove. Hopefully he will whip me up some buckwheat pancakes in the backcountry while using it. :D

The End.

Last edited:
Grasshopper, when you can run up those switchbacks in you pics .... You will be ready for the ones at deer creek......

12 miles is great! that is not just recovery, but pretty much recover-ed-ed.
(All depending on how you feel)
It looks like a very nice midweek hike, and up that face of Grandeur is no joke. I would have deducted 5% of my praise if you had done the loop counter-clockwise, but only because then you would have summitted after the miles going up to Church Fork. If you had started at Church Fork it would have been a 25% deduction ;)

I did not know that globemallows were also purple, but I see it now. I also think that I might remember Ninebark next time, but no guarantees.

Also, any reptilia? or ungulates?

Nice writeup Hugh!

I think my favorite flower is the beardtongue. Hound's tongue might be a close second.

I hope REI did not tell you to get me the giant fuel cannister for Hidden Creek! :)

Grasshopper, when you can run up those switchbacks in you pics .... You will be ready for the ones at deer creek......

If I had run up those switchbacks, I'd still be facedown at the top of them. :)

12 miles is great! that is not just recovery, but pretty much recover-ed-ed.
(All depending on how you feel)
It looks like a very nice midweek hike, and up that face of Grandeur is no joke. I would have deducted 5% of my praise if you had done the loop counter-clockwise, but only because then you would have summitted after the miles going up to Church Fork. If you had started at Church Fork it would have been a 25% deduction ;)

I did not know that globemallows were also purple, but I see it now. I also think that I might remember Ninebark next time, but no guarantees.

Also, any reptilia? or ungulates?

Counter-clockwise is not allowed. :)

I saw five lizards, but was only quick enough to get a picture of one of them. I was really hoping to extend my rattlesnake streak to two hikes in a row, but that didn't happen. :(

No ungulates.

001.jpg

And I forgot to mention that I saw I few of these

01.jpg

Nice writeup Hugh!

I think my favorite flower is the beardtongue. Hound's tongue might be a close second.

I hope REI did not tell you to get me the giant fuel cannister for Hidden Creek! :)

I got you the medium canister. You'll use half of it making my pancakes! :D

Aargh! E-bike! I almost went full grizzly again @Rockskipper! Hate 'em!
I think you should go full grizz while someone records it. It would make a really interesting future post, plus a good scientific study on humans imitating Ursus horribilis or some such thing (but skip the afterwards What's Cooking post).

I think you should go full grizz while someone records it. It would make a really interesting future post, plus a good scientific study on humans imitating Ursus horribilis or some such thing (but skip the afterwards What's Cooking post).

Who could we get to record it?

A videographer grizzly bear or else maybe @Bob.

I'll have @Bob carry around the 12 pound 1D Mark IV with him then. I know he will enjoy that. :D It should take some good video though. I think I'm at my maximum grizzly between 60 and 65 degrees. It will decrease the warmer it gets. Anything above 90 degrees and it is a no go. :scatman:

Back