Grandeur Peak - January 17, 2016

scatman

I hiked up Grandeur Peak this morning here along the Wasatch Front . This was my first time hiking to the top in the snow. I did hike to the top on January 1st, 2012 taking the West Slope Route but there was only a little snow at the very top that year.

I arrived at the trailhead up Millcreek Canyon at 8:00 am and set off through the Church Fork Campground to reach the official trailhead. The trail was in good condition all the way until I reached the Millcreek Ridge where some drifting snow caused me to post hole a bit to get to the summit. I also lost one of my Micro Spikes on the way up but I didn't notice until I hit the steep section above the ridge and my right foot kept slipping. Thankfully, someone hung it on a tree limb next to the trail and I found it on my way down.

Other than a couple trail runners on the way up, I had the mountain to myself. I was all alone when I reached the top but I didn't stay long due to a strong wind blowing. I ate an energy bar and headed back down to see if I could find my Micro Spike. About halfway down the mountain, the sun broke out and I descended in warm sunlight. On the way down I passed a steady stream of folks heading to the top.

01.jpgOnly one other vehicle just east of the Church Fork Campground entrance

03.jpg
I must be going the right way!

07.jpgSomeone has made a snowdog

08.jpg
The trail

13.jpgFirst good look at Grandeur Peak

15.jpg Red rock formation the trail passes near

19.jpgMoose track in the trail for about a quarter mile

21.jpg Wildcat Ridge

22.jpgFirst Mountain Mahogany on the way up

23.jpgThe trail - Grandeur Peak int he center of the image

24.jpgThumbing my nose at Millcreek Ridge. This is the spot last July that I came off the ridge and had to descend down Church Fork instead of completing the route - only twenty five minutes from here to the top of Grandeur.

25.jpgHow in the hell did I not complete that hike! Only one thing to say, "Aaaaargh!"

30.jpg
Some neat snow/ice covered trees near the top

32.jpgLove these trees

33.jpgMountain Mahogany

35.jpgLooks cold

36.jpgThe sun would pop out occasionally.

37.jpgGorgeous!

38.jpgAlmost at the windswept summit

43.jpgChurch Fork Peak and Mount Aire to the east

41.jpgMount Olympus and Triangle Peak to the south

42.jpgSalt Lake Valley and the Oquirrh Mountains to the west

51.jpg Looking down on the Church Fork drainage on the way down

52.jpgOld hornets nest

54.jpg
@Artemus - what kind of tracks are these?

The End.

Last edited:
I hiked up Grandeur Peak this morning here along the Wasatch Front . This was my first time hiking to the top in the snow. I did hike to the top on January 1st, 2012 taking the West Slope Route but there was only a little snow at the very top that year.

I arrived at the trailhead up Millcreek Canyon at 8:00 am and set off through the Church Fork Campground to reach the official trailhead. The trail was in good condition all the way until I reached the Millcreek Ridge where some drifting snow caused me to post hole a bit to get to the summit. I also lost one of my Micro Spikes on the way up but I didn't notice until I hit the steep section above the ridge and my right foot kept slipping. Thankfully, someone hung it on a tree limb next to the trail and I found it on my way down.

Other than a couple trail runners on the way up, I had the mountain to myself. I was all alone when I reached the top but I didn't stay long due to a strong wind blowing. I ate an energy bar and headed back down to see if I could find my Micro Spike. About halfway down the mountain, the sun broke out and I descended in warm sunlight. On the way down I passed a steady stream of folks heading to the top.

View attachment 39248Only one other vehicle just east of the Church Fork Campground entrance

View attachment 39249
I must be going the right way!

View attachment 39250Someone has made a snowdog

View attachment 39251
The trail

View attachment 39252First good look at Grandeur Peak

View attachment 39253 Red rock formation the trail passes near

View attachment 39254Moose track in the trail for about a quarter mile
View attachment 39255 Wildcat Ridge

View attachment 39257First Mountain Mahogany on the way up

View attachment 39258The trail - Grandeur Peak int he center of the image

View attachment 39259Thumbing my nose at Millcreek Ridge. This is the spot last July that I came off the ridge and had to descend down Church Fork instead of completing the route - only twenty five minutes from here to the top of Grandeur.

View attachment 39260How in the hell did I not complete that hike! Only one thing to say, "Aaaaargh!"

View attachment 39261
Some neat snow/ice covered trees near the top

View attachment 39262Love these trees

View attachment 39263Mountain Mahogany

View attachment 39264Looks cold

View attachment 39265The sun would pop out occasionally.

View attachment 39266Gorgeous!

View attachment 39267Almost at the windswept summit

View attachment 39268Church Fork Peak and Mount Aire to the east

View attachment 39270Mount Olympus and Triangle Peak to the south

View attachment 39273Salt Lake Valley and the Oquirrh Mountains to the west

View attachment 39269 Looking down on the Church Fork drainage on the way down

View attachment 39271Old hornets nest

View attachment 39272
@Artemus - what kind of tracks are these?

The End.
Great! You are a strong man Hugh. The tracks are of the mountain cottontail I believe.

Excellent! My wife and I did it yesterday! I'll post a pic from the summit...let's just say it was windy, snowy, and WELL below 20 degrees. I'm glad you made it!
Salud!

Awesome. I did that one a few years ago in the middle of the Summer. Winter looks even better.

@TannerT - Were the moose tracks there the day before? They looked reasonably fresh but it was hard for me to tell. They left the trail to the northwest at one of the western switchbacks. After hiking a couple more switchbacks I got above its path. I followed the moose's trail with my eyes into some scrub oak hoping that I might be able to get a glance of him but I never saw it.

@TannerT - Were the moose tracks there the day before? They looked reasonably fresh but it was hard for me to tell. They left the trail to the northwest at one of the western switchbacks. After hiking a couple more switchbacks I got above its path. I followed the moose's trail with my eyes into some scrub oak hoping that I might be able to get a glance of him but I never saw it.
No the tracks weren't. It was snowing the majority of our hike, especially at the end. I wish you could've seen it. Pics to come soon!

sent from an undisclosed location