GPS Coordinates & Google Earth

Nick

-
Hey folks. I'm so glad to be here. I just found you this morning. I am a photographer and my mission is to create exquisite photographs of the American West, and a few other places. Ah shi sle pah is my destination this weekend. Weather is forecast to be perfect chamber of commerce weather; unfortunately. I am new to techie stuff so I have a question that may have a rather obvious answer, but I don't know the answer. Here it is. When I get GPS co-ordinates from the internet, from other folks GPS, and try to find those co-ordinates on Google Earth, Google Earth shows them to be miles from where I know they should be. Does anyone know why?

Welcome to backcountrypost, Nathan! I started this new thread to discuss the GPS coordinates and Google Earth. Can you post an example of coordinates? It may be due to the format as there are several different types.

my guess is coordinate format type. had a similar problem when a friend & i were working separately on compiling/mapping the list of Arches in the Jens Munthe Arches of the Escalante book. i was using Google Earth and he was using his Garmin application & when we imported his into google earth, they were all off by at least a few hundred yards.
we should have that database cleaned up and books with supplementary files available soon. message me if you are interested. I'll be getting back to the few of you who have already expressed interest when they are ready.

I would also make sure that when you are using GPS location you also know that Datum that is in use. NAD27 etc.. without that you don't have the same starting reference point... It drives me nuts when people post gps coords and don't post the Datum its like giving someone an address but not telling them what town you are in :mad: (Although I am sure I have posed GPS coords and failed to give the Datum before doesn't mean it isn't still a pet peeve of my own ;) )

Be aware that the two main formats (degrees, minutes, seconds or degrees,minutes,fractions of a minute) are not the same thing. To convert seconds to fractions of a degree, divide the seconds by 60 to make a decimal fraction that you add to the degree. to convert fractions to minutes, multiply the fraction by 60.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Ligado 5G rollout and GPS interference General Discussion 0
IntrepidXJ Gaia GPS acquired by Pocket Outdoor Media General Discussion 18
john.maldaner Gaia GPS: Sharing Tracks and Waypoints Gear 19
Titans Gaia GPS - CarPlay integration is now live ! Resource Discussions 10
john.maldaner Gaia GPS App Questoin Resource Discussions 7
john.maldaner GPS Recommendation, Please Gear 53
VegasHikeLife Paria Canyon GPS Coord. Trip Planning 6
Vegan.Hiker GPS Dog Tracking Devices / Gun Dog Whistles General Discussion 7
Outdoors24 Gaia GPS question General Discussion 5
R GPS Question Gear 13
Artemus GPS Doodles Trip Planning 5
Rockskipper Any GPS suggestions? Gear 22
Rockskipper Why you shouldn't trust your GPS General Discussion 21
Dave Gaia GPS alternatives General Discussion 48
Kyle P Biting the Bullet on a GPS Gear 44
Bob GPS .................. General Discussion 3
Aldaron iPhone GPS General Discussion 5
JaseTheAce GPS Gear 29
Ross Help choosing which GPS to hike in USA if buying in UK Gear 2
steve Google Maps Engine Question on windows 8.1 laptop with USB gps General Discussion 0
Nick Topo/GPS App for iPhone General Discussion 36
Nick GPS Distances General Discussion 7
Nick GPS Coordinate Types General Discussion 27
powderglut Hand held GPS Gear 20
pstm13 DIY High Capacity Battery Pack for Phones and GPS @$40 Gear 4
Mike Jones GPS Logger Gear 19
Joe Which Garmin Rino GPS? Gear 1
Nik Recommendation for Outdoor Handheld GPS Gear 12
Nick Lithium Batteries in a GPS unit Gear 6
SKLund Exif Data Geographic Coordinates Photography 8
Bob B2 on Google Earth General Discussion 5
balzaccom Why I hate Google General Discussion 6
T Findings while searching Google maps General Discussion 9
Jackson Google Maps 3D Detail General Discussion 4
Nick Panaramio to be replaced by Google Views General Discussion 7
Bob Google Earth Pro is Free General Discussion 19
Bob Wilderness Areas - Google Earth style mapping- ALL of them ! Resource Discussions 0
D Google Views and Google Earth Photography 0
Christian My Crazy Google Earth Markers General Discussion 12
Aldaron Google's Grand Canyon General Discussion 1
uintahiker Google Maps vs KML file embed General Discussion 2
Nick New Google Maps Engine SUCKS General Discussion 12
Bill Google Launches Street View For Hiking Trails General Discussion 2
Nick Embedding Google Maps Questions, Suggestions & Support 0