Gold Mine Loop Trail / Noland Trail - Great Smoky Mountain National Park, June 7, 2016

scatman

While visiting my folks in North Carolina at the beginning of June, my kids and I did two short day hikes in the Smoky Mountains (in western NC it is often spelled Smokey). The first, was the Goldmine Loop Trail which is located about 9 miles, slightly northwest of Bryson City, NC. The loop itself is 3.5 miles long and depending on which direction you hike, you have a tunnel of .6 miles to walk through either at the beginning or at the end. We chose to leave the tunnel for the end, so our hike would be in a clockwise direction around the loop.

Now while the loop itself doesn't have anything spectacular along its route, it does drop down to Fontana Lake which was created by the TVA back in the 1940's and of course one gets to experience the excellent biodiversity that resides in the Smokies. While hiking the loop, we stopped at the lone backcountry campsite 67 for lunch. While at the site, I noticed a slight trail that I thought might lead to a pit toilet of some sorts, but after following it for roughly .2 miles, I came to a cage that I later learned was to trap wild boar that roam the area.

After lunch, we completed the remainder of the loop and of course made our way through the tunnel. Of course at this point I had to do some yelling to hear my echo within the tunnel. The tunnel by the way has an interesting story behind it. Originally, Swain County, NC and the Park Service had agreed to build a highway down the north side of Fontana Lake after it had flooded the old highway when it was filled. So Swain County did their part which included the tunnel but the Park Service eventually reneged on their part of the deal. So now you basically have what the locals call a road to nowhere, with about one mile being part of the loop trail.

Picture taking was a challenge for me with all the sun and shadows along the trail but oh well.

01.jpg
Fired up and ready to roll!

03.jpg
Typical trail conditions around the loop

04.jpg
Ferns along the route

07.jpg
Mushrooms too

08.jpg
Signpost for a cutoff trail to avoid the tunnel. I'm guessing it is for horseback riders.

11.jpg
Another mushroom

12.jpg
I just liked the leaves on this plant

14.jpg
More variety of plants

16.jpg
Looking up at the canopy

17.jpg
Mountain Laurel off to the side of the trail.

19.jpg
You guessed it, another mushroom!

20.jpg
Fontana Lake

21.jpg

23.jpg
Sign for campsite 67

25.jpg
Layout of the campsite

27.jpg
Used to trap wild boar

29.jpg
Tools of the trade

30.jpg
The Scat, holding up the backcountry campsite signpost for would be passer byres.

33.jpg
More trail

36.jpg
North part of the loop is also part of the Benton MacKaye Trail

37.jpg
Son of Scat approaching the tunnel

40.jpg
Straight shot through the tunnel

39.jpg
Approaching the other end of the tunnel and our car.

The second short hike was about a mile down the road from the loop and it was along a stretch of the Noland Creek Trail. Now this trail was named after one of my ancestors known as Andrew Noland who was supposedly the first white settler in the area. Not only was the trail named after him, but also Noland Divide and the old community of Noland which was inundated by the rising waters of Fontana. On this hike, we headed up stream for a mile and a half to the first backcountry campsite and then returned the trailhead the way we had come. At backcountry campsite 65, they actually had cement picnic tables. A little to cushy for me I'm afraid. :) The Noland Creek Trail is also part of the Benton MacKaye Trail system. For those that like to fish, I'm told this is an excellent Rainbow Trout stream.

N01.jpg
Noland Creek Trailhead and a lone shoe.

N02.jpg
Don't ask! We ended up under the highway bridge in the wrong spot before picking up the trail

N03.jpg
Noland Creek

N04.jpg
Noland Creek

N05.jpg
The Noland Creek Trail - it is an old roadbed at this point because there used to be an old homestead up the creek a few miles.

N06.jpg
Intersection with the trail to campsite 65

N07.jpg
Signpost for campsite 65

N09.jpg
Wildflower at the campsite

N10.jpg
Map view of our two hikes

N11.jpg
We are here I tell you!

N12.jpg
Almost back to the trailhead.

Both hikes together ended up about seven miles total distance with nothing too strenuous though the loop did have a couple of hills that would make you sweat a bit. I enjoyed both and was glad to be back in the Smokies for the first time in three years.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool that the trail is named after an ancestor of yours. Especially since the other trail you were on is named after the founder of the AT. He's in good company. Looks like a really pretty park. Reminds me a little of VA. I've been wanting to make it down to Grayson Highlands in NC, but it's just a bit outside of my driving radius.