Going Solo in Capitol Reef

Would this be a viable route in October (water availability/road access/weather)? Trying to put together 3D/2N in Utah some time in the next 2-3 weeks.

Makes me wonder how I can fit in a limited number of Springs and Falls within a limited longevity.

Makes me wonder how I can fit in a limited number of Springs and Falls within a limited longevity.
I often wonder the same thing. My bones have a limited and quantifiable number of trips left in them so I need to Carpe Diem and get more trips in with the time remaining and prioritize the ones left I vowed to do.... :moses:

Would this be a viable route in October (water availability/road access/weather)? Trying to put together 3D/2N in Utah some time in the next 2-3 weeks.

Barring snow...
I would expect so. Road access is all paved if you stick to this route and October is one of my favorite months.

Barring snow...
I would expect so. Road access is all paved if you stick to this route and October is one of my favorite months.

Didn't think snow was even a consideration that far southwest... Thanks!

Last edited:
No final plans yet, but I am down that way Friday... weather is supposed to be excellent.
Capitol Reef is at 5k-6k feet.

I do a spring trip with the kids each year there. This was early April this year. Two days later it was back to 80d.
Capitol Reef-GSENM 20170491.jpg

Water: I'm pretty sure the spring in the upper canyon is there all year long. I can't say the same for the lower canyon, but judging by how much water there was there in the spring, I'm sure there'd be some down there in the fall as well. I'd even consider camping up by the upper spring anyway, as the distance between the upper and lower spring isn't all that far. Guess it all depends on how soon you start in the day, but if you got an early enough start, camping up in the upper canyon would allow you to have a ton of time to explore further up the upper canyon before returning back to camp. Fremont River and Sulphur Creek are definitely flowing all year long. Fremont River crossing would be at its easiest level in the fall.

Road: Access to the trailhead was right off of highway 24 that's open all year long.

Weather: Weather is known to be more consistently better in the fall down there. Storms and winds come and go more often through the Spring down there with a more inconsistent pattern. There are often days where the park is basking in sunshine while the town of Torrey and Boulder Mountain just above the Park will get blasted by thunderstorms and other days where it's visa versa.

Will, I enjoyed seeing places out there I've never seen. I particularly love the photo you took at the tempting campsite" you bypassed on Day 2 before coming back to, Will. Looks like an amazing place to catch a sunrise from! :)

Have you considered picking up an Ursack for your desert/above-treeline camping? Keeps fear of little critters and big critters at bay for me. I put an OpSak inside the Ursack with all my food inside both and have never had any issues worrying about food. I hang it in bear country and either just leave it on the ground away from camp or tie it to a tree if available outside of bear country.

Thanks for sharing some lovely Cap. Reef backcountry with us! :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
zionsky Going to Jail General Discussion 3
LarryBoy Going South this Weekend? Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Brad Going places Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
P Question about going around Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone Trip Planning 0
D South Coyote Buttes. We are going to put in at Lone Tree Reservoir because we don't have 4wd but we want to make it to White Pocket. Trip Planning 30
Vegan.Hiker Going cold (and cold soaking) Gear 40
Rockskipper Going canyoneering? Don't forget the dish soap. General Discussion 0
Nick Going tent-free with bears? General Discussion 9
DrNed Going Tentless Gear 12
Nanda Anyone going out this weekend? Trip Planning 12
mak1277 Who's going out this weekend? General Discussion 10
Laura Is it worth going into the Narrows in August? Trip Planning 25
pixie1339 Invite Anyone going to Capitol Reef this weekend? Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Shaverkid Going Camping - Suggestions Trip Planning 4
Nick Anyone going to The Winds over Labor Day? General Discussion 5
pixie1339 Anyone going to Ryder or Kermsuh this weekend? Trip Planning 2
Archbishop Going on a short bike tour next weekend. Trip Planning 9
gnwatts Northstar Northwind Solo On The Water 10
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
norwegianxplorer Early Season Solo Backpacking during Snowmelt Runoff in Norway Backpacking 0
R Eastern Uinta Solo Trip Advice Request Trip Planning 5
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
Miya 2nd Solo - Trinity Alps Wilderness - Wildflower Madness! Backpacking 50
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 12
Perry My First Multi-day Solo this Weekend - Looking for some Beta Trip Planning 0
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018 - a solo trip hiking and exploring America's first National Park: Part II Madison Hiking & Camping 3
Yvonne Yellowstone 2018- A solo trip hiking and exploring America’s first National Park: Part I Mammoth Hiking & Camping 13
fossana solo white rim day trip on the dual sport Off Road 11
Born to Hike Backpacking Northern Windriver Range, solo 60+ miles, 5 days, mid September 2018 Backpacking 17
Parma American man first to solo across Antarctica unaided General Discussion 21
Miya First Solo: I Did It! Backpacking 25
Jackson A Solo Stroll Near Capitol Reef Backpacking 17
Miya First Solo Jitters General Discussion 84
Perry Nepal Bans Solo Climbers General Discussion 9
seekinglost Sawtooth Wilderness, ID - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2017 + Solar Eclipse Backpacking 7
H suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park Trip Planning 5
blueeyes #noplacefamous First Solo Bikepack Trip Everything Else 5
V Yellowstone - Thorofare - Solo? Trip Planning 15
C New Member - Coyote Gulch Solo Trip Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
kimbur96 First Solo overnight, Navigation Trail, Upper Priest River, Northern Idaho Backpacking 10
CaptnKidd Solo Trek Down South, Advice? Trip Planning 8
kimbur96 Tell me about your first solo overnight trip General Discussion 2
seekinglost High Uintas Wildernes - 8 Day Solo Hike August 2015 Backpacking 10
seekinglost Uintas Highline Trail Solo Thru Hike - Getting to/from trailheads logistics Trip Planning 59
Nick Solo at Powell On The Water 29
outnabout Solo Wind Rivers - Need some advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Yvonne Priord Lake Solo Trip, Uintas August 2013 Backpacking 20
owyhee Noob looking for solo hike advice in Capital Reef Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12